Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times

Advertisements

And talking about altitude, just yesterday the Argentine National Team (football/soccer) played against its Bolivian counterpart in the height of La Paz for the World Cup qualifying. You could see that, from time time, some Argentinian players went outside the field to breath in some oxygen from a spray can.

Whenever Bolivia plays at home there's a big fuss about the altitude for the away teams that visit, because it's a big ally that lets Bolivia win some games that they couldn't win otherwise. When they play away from home, on the other hand, Bolivia don't perform too well, usually.

Sorry for the slight OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
And talking about altitude, just yesterday the Argentine National Team (football/soccer) played against its Bolivian counterpart in the height of La Paz for the World Cup qualifying. You could see that, from time time, some Argentinian players went outside the field to breath in some oxygen from a spray can.

Whenever Bolivia plays at home there's a big fuss about the altitude for the away teams that visit, because it's a big ally that lets Bolivia win some games that they couldn't win otherwise. When they play away from home, on the other hand, Bolivia don't perform too well, usually.

Sorry for the slight OT.
Messi was throwing up in the meantime!!
And those guys were grasping for air and using those things to breath in? It was a shocker to watch, those usually out of this world running players, barely being able to walk in that insane altitude with that lack of oxygen.

Strange thing is that Bolivia, even with all this advantage, it always seem to manage to always be among the worse 3 teams in Conmebol and almost never making it to the WC. Lol.

sorry for the offtopic 2

Old 06-25-2019, 02:55 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Definitely not subtropical. Not even close. As with the Californian Coast and NZ, I think most "Subtropical Highland" climates are mild enough that they're hard to define other than being far from polar. This is one of the few exceptions; it's so close to being a polar climate (albeit an unusually comfortable one year-round) that I'd consider it a subpolar climate.

Really, I'm not even sure whether palms could grow there despite the warm winters. If they could, they'd definitely have to be Chinese Windmill and/or Chilean Wine, both of which are known for being able to tolerate cool summers and unable to tolerate hot summers.

Indeed, I believe "Subtropical Highland" is a terrible misnomer. I can say the same about Cold-Summer and Warm-Summer "Mediterranean" and especially Continental "Mediterranean" climates. For me, the only real subtropical climates (excluding some arid and semiarid regions, but even then they'd be limited to year-round warm but not freeze-free places like Las Vegas or Tucson) are the Hot-Summer Mediterranean (like Sacramento, Madrid and Tunis) and Humid Subtropical zones (like Nashville, Buenos Aires, Sydney and Shanghai).

Old 06-25-2019, 04:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Definitely not subtropical. Not even close. As with the Californian Coast and NZ, I think most "Subtropical Highland" climates are mild enough that they're hard to define other than being far from polar. This is one of the few exceptions; it's so close to being a polar climate (albeit an unusually comfortable one year-round) that I'd consider it a subpolar climate.

Really, I'm not even sure whether palms could grow there despite the warm winters. If they could, they'd definitely have to be Chinese Windmill and/or Chilean Wine, both of which are known for being able to tolerate cool summers and unable to tolerate hot summers.

Indeed, I believe "Subtropical Highland" is a terrible misnomer. I can say the same about Cold-Summer and Warm-Summer "Mediterranean" and especially Continental "Mediterranean" climates. For me, the only real subtropical climates (excluding some arid and semiarid regions, but even then they'd be limited to year-round warm but not freeze-free places like Las Vegas or Tucson) are the Hot-Summer Mediterranean (like Sacramento, Madrid and Tunis) and Humid Subtropical zones (like Nashville, Buenos Aires, Sydney and Shanghai).
The majority of palms can handle cool summers -it's the rest of the year that is the issue.

NZ's climate isn't hard to define. It's an Oceanic climate that has highish levels of fauna/flora activity in the coldest months, which lessens with more southerly latitudes -classifications aren't intended to describe what climates feel like, only general patterns, or environment.

Nashville really looks like the odd one out here -with a record low 27C colder than Sydney, your previous points using the role of vegetation in discerning climatic differences, becomes redundant.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-25-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The majority of palms can handle cool summers -it's the rest of the year that is the issue.

NZ's climate isn't hard to define. It's an Oceanic climate that has highish levels of fauna/flora activity in the coldest months, which lessens with more southerly latitudes -classifications aren't intended to describe what climates feel like, only general patterns, or environment.

Nashville really looks like the odd one out here -with a record low 27C colder than Sydney, your previous points using the role of vegetation in discerning climatic differences, becomes redundant.

Nashville is just a plain old vanilla North American hot summer continental climate. No where near subtropical.

looking at pics of la paz does look continental in vegetation.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Well, these are precisely labels, more or less arbitrarily defined.

I can directly say that La Paz has a “tropical highland” climate. Annual range is very low and sunshine is very strong, typical traits in the tropics. Altitude, on the other side, gives it the lower temperature, more usual in mid-latitudes, and distinguishes it from the actual “tropical”.

Maybe another distinction can be made, and put El Alto (where the airport is found) under the “alpine tundra” label, as frosts become widespread, plant growth is limited, etc.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 AM

152 posts, read 95,883 times
La Paz is definetly mild subarctic/subpolar since it's cold year round. It's obviously influenced by the Tropics, as their seasons are just cool & dry and cool & wet.

Their natural vegetation is much more similar to what you'll find in a dry Tundra environment rather than to anything Subtropical.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Indeed, most palms can handle cool-summer climates. It's the cold-hardy ones that usually need hot summers; but those two aren't affected by low average temperatures as long as the seasonal variations are relatively small.

About Nashville having a record low that low, it still qualifies for subtropical in terms of averages. The -17F record low was caused only because a strong piece of the polar vortex happened to hit middle and east Tennessee directly in January 1985 - something most subtropical regions aren't unfortunate enough to experience. It's a reminder that messing with our atmosphere (which weakens the jet stream as the Arctic warms) can lead to extreme weather in general.

The native vegetation may not be subtropical, but the soil in that area is VERY poor, which could've given it a harder time spreading. It's also possible that said cold wave wiped a lot of it out, and if so, it certainly hasn't had time to spread back. It does well if cultivated.

About La Paz having tundra vegetation, it does. Even the lower elevations are more of an extremely mild subalpine climate.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Subtropical refers more to location I would think rather than La Paz's average temperatures. They aren't bad (to me) but they don't bring to mind 'subtropical'.

These are subtropical:

Corpus Christi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Christi,_Texas

It is warm much of the year with a very mild winter that generally does not drop below the upper/mid-40s. I would say that this one in particular almost borders the tropical.

New Orleans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans#Climate

New Orleans is also very much subtropical. I can personally vouch for the mildness of the winter (and heat of the summer) as I lived there for a year. Anywhere that you can keep tropical houseplants out all year long and where roses bloom for Christmas is pretty close to tropical!!

Places like Nashville are also subtropical but they are on the northern limit of the subtropical climate.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:25 PM

110 posts, read 71,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've been thinking about subtropical highland climates and whether they really should be classified as subtropical. The wiki article states that La Paz is subtropical highland but is this really a misnomer? When I look at the stats, there is nothing subtropical about La Paz any more than there would be about Reykjavik or Torshavn.
Should highland climates in the tropics particularly have a different classification structure all their own which doesn't take into account other climate criteria in use by either Koeppen or Trewartha? I know that many climate maps label mountainous areas as "H" but this doesn't really do justice the differences in elevation that produce different climates.

La Paz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oceanic, Highland subtype.

I agree that simply throwing "Highland" at a climate fails to do it justice. It is very good to note that a climate is at high altitude, because that helps us to understand many features of the climate, like the bright sunlight and chilly nights. But a subtropical climate would feel nothing like La Paz, and equally you can see that none of the vegetation looks at all like a "subarctic hellhole" as previous posters have suggested. It's temperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather