Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
The southern hemisphere tends to be milder due to the larger expanse of ocean, most noticable is the warmer winters for a given latitude, especially in the mid latitudes, and cooler summers relative to mid-latitude North America and Meditteranean Europe.

There are parts of Australia the rival the middle east for summers, and ocean SSTs in the Gulf of Carpenteria and off the Pilbara coast rival the warmest seas in the NH.
I like to, because it's interesting.

How warm is the Gulf of Carpenteria? Is it as warm as, cooler, or warmer, than the Caribbean? Even the areas around the Gulf there don't seem to be as warm as I'd expect it to be.

That's what I noticed too. Your temperate areas are warmer than ours, but your tropical areas are a bit cooler than ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You're very fond of pointing out the disparity in temps between similar latitudes in the Carribean and Australia.

Firstly, Townsville seems to be experiencing something of a cool spell. The average low / high for late May would be about 60 / 80 F. San Juan, in the corresponding period of late November, would average about 73 / 85 F.

So there's no question that PR is significantly warmer than Australia at similar latitudes. I don't know the exact reasons for this. SSTs could be a contributing factor, the sea being one or two degrees celsius warmer around PR. Also, bear in mind that northern hemisphere locations will generally be warmer than southern ones for a given latitude.

I'd say that Townsville is fairly typical for 19 degrees latitude. The Northern Carribean represents a very significant positive temp anomaly relative to latitude. Most climates around the equator are barely warmer than San Juan, and many are considerably cooler.
I have to make San Juan feel good for something

Still, even if it has a cold spell, even winter, on average, is warmer in San Juan. I thought the waters off northern QLD would be as warm as the Caribbean. Is it due to the perihelion and aphelion of Earth's orbit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It's been rotten here the last few days.
I checked the latest conditions and for the past three days we have not reached 20 C/68 F.
I've been wearing layers and a beanie a lot of the time.
House temperature is a constant, yucky 20-21 C/68-71 F.
Usually my house doesn't drop below 22.5 F/72.5 F even by sunrise.
Late afternoons it's usually at least 25 C/77 F inside.

Funny, but I've been in tropical Australia in late May, both in 2011 and now in 2012.
Sometime around the middle of May, suddenly I stop enjoying being here.
I wonder if I'd need to be in Darwin to enjoy the entire month of May.
Our weather was fabulous for me, every day, up until early May.
Last year I didn't really start enjoying the weather until sometime in August, but by then I was in the SW.
Hmm, that is interesting. By the looks of it the high on May 25 was only 19.5c, the low tonight is supposed to be 11c. That is hardly tropical IMO, that must suck.

How would you think you'd do in Honolulu, the A+ climate of my choice.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post

Let's all move there, Honolulu gets an A+ from me as well

Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
yup its a excellant one

Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Hmm, that is interesting. By the looks of it the high on May 25 was only 19.5c, the low tonight is supposed to be 11c. That is hardly tropical IMO, that must suck.

Judging from his other topic, it's probably a B climate for him Aruba would be the closest thing to perfection probably
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather