Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

For those on the "inch" scale. Thats 2 feet of snow in 3 days. nice to see!
See thier facebook page for more pics.
Perisher - Local Business | Facebook

Perisher Resort Snow Teaser. Saturday 18th August 2012 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM

473 posts, read 667,291 times
Last night the largest snowfall of this winter fell on the higher parts of the central tablelands of New South Wales, in towns such as Oberon. There was actually a small shower of wet snow in Canberra yesterday, but for the most part the snow level has remained fairly high.

Here in Dalby, yesterday was another warm day with a maximum of 24.9C, but today and tomorrow should be cooler with a 19C max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I can vouch for that. Looking at last year's stats:

Mean max: 12.5 C
Mean min: 0.3 C
Rain: 63 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 5.6

Whereas this August MTD:

Mean max: ~11 C
Mean min: ~7 C
Rain: 83 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 1.9

I'd take the former in a heartbeat!
Wow, 7C average minimum for Christchurch and no frosts! That's pretty crazy when the mean minimum for my town is about 0C and 12 nights have been 0C or below. The days have been nearly 10C warmer here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I think you misunderstood me, i'm talking about the australian one who is going on like its the apocalypse because its 14c. He is saying that people are having power outages and everything.
The power outages are because of strong winds, nothing to do with temperature.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Buenos Aires this month: rain, and rain, and, yes, more rain
Possibly, we'll break a good monthly record

Wettest august in BA history:
1) 277.8 mm (1922) (record)
2) 221.1 mm (1914)
3) 218.6 mm (1989)
4) 209.6 mm (2012) (at the moment)
5) 195.1 mm (2005)

And Resistencia, Chaco (northeast of Argentina) reached 35.7ºC today. Not bad for a "winter" month

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Pine pollen season has started, so yellow dust/scum will be all over the place for the next month. Went skiing yesterday, the conditions reminded me of the bad seasons of the late 1990's. Still okay though, with only an 80cm base, but it will be a short season unless some decent falls come along.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
The cold change on Friday night was not as significant as originally anticipated, although there is an Australian weather forum that seems to be over-run by snow-chasers, who did get some happy snaps - such is the novelty of the white stuff down here.
In the mean time we are looking at mid to high 20's by late next week, particularly in inland areas:
Singleton weather - local weather forecast
Normally some warmer weather in the 4th and 5th weeks of August is to be expected, (before it crashes again for the start of September!)

Old 08-18-2012, 04:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
It's been a full three weeks without a frost now. Finally had a sunny day yesterday, an overcast morning clearing to blue dome afternoon. Not expecting to see any more of that for a while though.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Normally some warmer weather in the 4th and 5th weeks of August is to be expected, (before it crashes again for the start of September!)
That sounds like what parts of the Deep South United States experience in February.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You have no idea how AWFUL August has been so far in Buenos Aires. Only 2 DAYS OF SUN , and, not only that, but almost all days that has not been sunny its been RAINING. But not little raining or casual showers: STORMS! Its basically been a month full of storms. They say this month is gonna break all records on rain!
The average sunshine hours for August here is 174, and now, being 17th, is far far far away from it. Its impossible to get to those numbers, even if its sunny all days until august ends. But not only that, according to forecast, its gonna be raining all next week!!!

I ve never seen a month like that! at least 15 days of the month have been gloomy and raining and it seems its gonna continue that way? WOW! I have a glimpse of what a very rainy climate of england could be in the summer and its not pretty! Hate it.

I thank god for our 2500 sunshine hours and for the fact this is an anomaly, cause a month entirely with showers.....IT SUCKS

On top of that, it is warm (from 15c to 20c) and UBER HUMID, so everyones hairs are a mess and all is sticky. UGH

is this how an amsterdam summer is like? i hope not
Enjoy it while you can. I wish it were like that here

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
7c really isn't that cold. You are going on like you'd die if you went out in it and Sophie Amsterdam summers are warmer than that. I think its around 30c there today.
I don't care if you don't understand Sydney's climate on a planetary scale. 7C with icy westerlies blowing - have you ever heard of the wind chill factor? - is freezing to us What you find mild is cold to us and your summer temperatures is not even remotely hot by our standards as I can attain by my recent trip there!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
what did i say about 7c??

And im just asking the amsterdam part cause my sister is living there since april and told me its COLD and it rains ALL DAY. I think 30c is clearly an anomaly. Probably their average does not go from 15 to 20c, but surely the temps there in summer are close to that than to 30c!!! And its supposed to rain more than 200 days a year in amsterdam?

Just serached in wikipedia: 12.8/22c is not that different at the temps we are having here, honestly. But the sunshine doesnt seem as bad in this particular month (though us didnt seem either, and its raining all day) but susnhine in cold/cool month is AWFUL there!!! its probably like this august but colder and darker?? wow
I spent a few days in Amsterdam and it was warm, sunny and humid, I recall temperatures reaching 28 degrees C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather