Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Brrrrr. I'm sure it will be lower than these numbers in spots. I'll post some current maps over the weekend as the temps crash in the U.S

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM

234 posts, read 214,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Brrrrr. I'm sure it will be lower than these numbers in spots. I'll post some current maps over the weekend as the temps crash in the U.S

For this early in the season that is some chilly air to be so widespread. Although it's not that popular with some folks, we actually do need some deep severe bitter cold to control the virus season so we don't have widespread illness when it's warmer than normal throughout the winter.

As far as snow coverage, we need a heavy dose of snow this year through the farm belts to make up for last years droughts. If we get nailed with another drought like last year that was aided by the lack of snow then this years food prices will look minor with back to back droughts of that nature.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
49 F/9 C at 8:40PM. Had some light rain move through this evening...enough to wet the pavement. Feels damp and chilly with the breeze. Tomorrow is going to feel quite chilly with the wind. Forecasted high of 42 F/6 C with wind gusts reaching 30 MPH. Tomorrow night is expected to be cold and windy with a low of 23 F/-5 C. For now, highs as we wrap up November and head into December are expected to be about 5-10 F below average.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Crash? Aren't you being a little dramatic? The high tomorrow in No. Colorado is forecast to be 68° F. Most of the cold air is sliding harmlessly across the U.S-Canadian border. Even in icebox places like Duluth MN, the lows will be back ABOVE freezing by the end of next week. Things have gotten so warm that a little piddly shot of cold area is cause for a celebration. I know, I know.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Crash? Aren't you being a little dramatic? The high tomorrow in No. Colorado is forecast to be 68° F. Most of the cold air is sliding harmlessly across the U.S-Canadian border. Even in icebox places like Duluth MN, the lows will be back ABOVE freezing by the end of next week. Things have gotten so warm that a little piddly shot of cold area is cause for a celebration. I know, I know.
Where do you see that? Highest low I see in the forecast is 21 F.

Hate to break it to you, but Colorado isn't the center of the universe.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Where do you see that? Highest low I see in the forecast is 21 F.

Forecast at weatherunderground. Weather Forecast Duluth, MN | Duluth Weather | Wunderground

Saturday Night

Overcast with a chance of snow. Fog overnight. Low of 34F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
Sunday

Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 45F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Sunday Night

Overcast with a chance of rain. Low of 36F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

No one said it was, but isn't it bizarre that it can be so frigidly cold (according to some) all over the country, but Colorado is its own little heat island? The most logical explanation for this phenomenon is that these minor cold shots are pretty well exaggerated and the bounceback is immediate and very warm relatively.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Forecast at weatherunderground. Weather Forecast Duluth, MN | Duluth Weather | Wunderground

Saturday Night

Overcast with a chance of snow. Fog overnight. Low of 34F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
Sunday

Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 45F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Sunday Night

Overcast with a chance of rain. Low of 36F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Ah, okay. I was looking at the NWS forecast. Upcoming week looks seasonably cool for the most part.

Tonight: Scattered flurries before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 12. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after 3pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 26. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 21. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28. West wind around 10 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 22.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 27.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 30.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 32.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Check out the wind direction. Pretty cool to see most the snows coming off the lakes is in the direction of the wind flow.

Isnt it amazing to see Cold air, Warm Lakes, and snow fall as a result?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
No one said it was, but isn't it bizarre that it can be so frigidly cold (according to some) all over the country, but Colorado is its own little heat island? The most logical explanation for this phenomenon is that these minor cold shots are pretty well exaggerated and the bounceback is immediate and very warm relatively.
Not really. You're applying your area's recent warmth to everywhere else in the US. Yes, it has generally been above average for a couple years now, but it's not the case everywhere. October nationally was below average. Where I live, November is expected to finish out below average and many of the above average months we've had were probably well within the standard deviation. I'll have to double check though. 2010 and 2011 featured some pretty impressive cold shots in the US. Not exactly ancient history.

Doesn't Colorado have a high standard deviation in temperature? What station do you use for your data? I'd be interested in seeing the averages, recent months, and the standard deviation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather