Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Melbourne climate rate
A 7 5.98%
B 23 19.66%
C 20 17.09%
D 12 10.26%
F 55 47.01%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 AM

578 posts, read 591,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Mind me asking but how are 2370 hours 'too much'?
I'd say it's on the higher end of average, and some people just like very gloomy climates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teritus View Post
B for me, could do with more seasonality and higher winter rain but otherwise it's good.

At the 1mm mark I think the rainy days are only at a 100 or so, likely fewer over the past decade, so it's not too bad.
It's exactly 100.0. At the standard 0.2mm mark it's 150.6, which represents the climate much better due to the abundance of drizzle in the late autumn and winter. However, this is using the old regional office data (which closed January this year), and it will be interesting to see the data from the Olympic Park once they have enough of it to make a climate table.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Yeah, do look forward to seeing those stats.

I'm not sure of the 0.2mm mark's credibility as an indicator of ranfall/drizzle amount though - it could quite literally rain for ten mins. every day in a month, reach 0.2 or 0.3mm and one could assume there was perpetual drizzle, which wouldn't have been the case obviously.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, do look forward to seeing those stats.

I'm not sure of the 0.2mm mark's credibility as an indicator of ranfall/drizzle amount though - it could quite literally rain for ten mins. every day in a month, reach 0.2 or 0.3mm and one could assume there was perpetual drizzle, which wouldn't have been the case obviously.
I expect summer nights to average 16°C in the new data.

I don't think there's ever been an occasion where it has rained on every day of the month down here - but I get your point. It'd actually make Melbourne look more attractive climate-wise as using the 1mm mark chops off 50 days of rain!

I still prefer using this method though, since we get 1/3 of our totals under 1mm. Also, if there was perpetual drizzle, it would accumulate more than 0.2mm in a day. In April last year, we had 4 straight days of drizzle/light rain and each day there was around 10mm of rain.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

I don't think there's ever been an occasion where it has rained on every day of the month down here - but I get your point. It'd actually make Melbourne look more attractive climate-wise as using the 1mm mark chops off 50 days of rain!

I still prefer using this method though, since we get 1/3 of our totals under 1mm. Also, if there was perpetual drizzle, it would accumulate more than 0.2mm in a day. In April last year, we had 4 straight days of drizzle/light rain and each day there was around 10mm of rain.
That's true, but if someone were to just take a glance at say, the monthly rainy days, that's something they might assume.

I heard from a friend who visited southern England a few years back that he'd experienced the lightest, featheriest drizzle imaginable whilst he was there - you could hardly feel it and you became wet unbearably slowly!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
That's true, but if someone were to just take a glance at say, the monthly rainy days, that's something they might assume.
Very true. Imagine seeing 31 rain days but only 6-7mm of rain, bleh!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:44 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
D+ climate, due to ocean (south) not warm enough to swim. Summers avg are nice temp (although frequent dry and very hot heatwave downgrade my rate).

52 F's : Galaxyman's accounts?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:59 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

That's very heavy for drizzle!

Here's an example of what drizzle can be like here, several hours of the stuff at a time but only really amounting to about 1-2 mm a day.

Decoded synop reports

Not sure if the weather station is just being a bit sensitive and recording dew or mist as rainfall, but another day the same month (19th) had about eight hours of drizzle or light rain to get all the way up to trace rainfall!

Decoded synop reports

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
I rate Melbourne a D-, not an F because it's never terribly uncomfortable. But I like more defined seasons, more snow and more thunderstorms.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
That's very heavy for drizzle!

Here's an example of what drizzle can be like here, several hours of the stuff at a time but only really amounting to about 1-2 mm a day.

Decoded synop reports

Not sure if the weather station is just being a bit sensitive and recording dew or mist as rainfall, but another day the same month (19th) had about eight hours of drizzle or light rain to get all the way up to trace rainfall!

Decoded synop reports
From memory, it was mostly drizzle/light rain with a few bursts of heavier rainfall. Probably not the best example but the only one I could clearly remember, as a thick drizzle accompanied me throughout the week walking to bus/train/tram stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather