Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it seems to me that fall and spring are basically the same. Maybe it's because i am bored with the previous season that i notice the excessive lag. It seems like spring takes a long time to warm up, and it also seems like fall has a surprising number of warm days. I find cold days in the spring quite irritating and depressing... and i would imagine that winter lovers get annoyed by all the mild days sprinkled into late October and even November. Maybe we should re-write the calendar to start the seasons at a different time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Depends on where you live, the NE USA does have some seasonal lag, or anywhere that is close or at least somewhat close to a body of water. The Alaskan Interior or Siberia have almost no seasonal lag whatsoever, with September, October, and November all being much colder than their Spring counterparts.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
A good question would be what areas get the reverse of seasonal lag.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Yes as a result of sea temperatures. If the cold air mass comes and the sea is warm then the temperatures wil be cool and not cold.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
No real winter seasonal lag here, with August being warmer than June. Summer has more of a seasonal lag with February being a tad warmer than January on average while December and March are equal for highs but March's overnight lows are 0.4C warmer.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:59 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Most climates show a certain degree of seasonal lag. It's somewhat pronounced here particularly in summer with February being the warmest month, as the cooler sea temperatures in summer tend to induce an earlier and more reliable seabreeze. In winter August is colder than June.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
The Northeast and most coastal regions show a lot of seasonal lag. I believe seasonal lag is a drag , and I just don't like it. I prefer climates with no seasonal lag* or even accelerated seasons, where autumn and spring come in fast and do not relent. I operate best in a climatic environment where today's season gives no quarter to yesterday's season, of course with the exception of summer - I can do without that season .

I think that people in general in the American East would be more satisfied with their climate if there was much less seasonal lag. The coldies would appreciate an accelerated fall and early winter with no real warm days, and the warm weather fans would appreciate the chill not really lingering into March and April. There are some on all sides that prefer a lag, like a snowy March, but it's my guess that satisfaction rates would be slightly up overall.

*"No seasonal lag" refers to July being the hottest month, and June and August being at the same slightly cooler temperatures (like 78/58F for July, and 74/54F for June and August), or the winter equivalent of that. Accelerated seasons refer to August being significantly cooler than June, or the winter equivalent.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
There actually isn't a significant seasonal lag here. July is the warmest summer month, it all goes down hill in August, getting rapidly colder and cloudier. February is slightly milder than January, but colder than December. November is similar temps to March but with slightly milder nights. So a slight seasonal lag in autumn, mostly regarding night time temperatures. But not at all significant for an oceanic climate.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The Northeast and most coastal regions show a lot of seasonal lag. I believe seasonal lag is a drag , and I just don't like it. I prefer climates with no seasonal lag* or even accelerated seasons, where autumn and spring come in fast and do not relent. I operate best in a climatic environment where today's season gives no quarter to yesterday's season, of course with the exception of summer - I can do without that season .
I don't really see the difference. Seasonal lag doesn't mean today's season have parts of yesterday's season, the season just occur at different than is typical. If July, August and September are the warmest months, that doesn't mean you are getting a previous season's weather in September but that September is summer and June is not.

The biggest effect of seasonal lag is a difference in combinations of temperatures and sun strength / daylight length. For example, since I said here that since I tend to be the most active during the warmest months, I find it convenient that those times have the most daylight while in winter since I'm not outside as much might as well as the days shorters and get more daylight in the warmer months. But if there's a strong seasonal lag, you get a mismatch. For example, in the PNW, sometimes September is warmer than July and is considered a better hiking month than July as the snow is mostly gone by September. But someone doing a long mountain hike in September will find they'll have to be more time conscious as daylight is shorter. If you want to do winter hiking, a lag is a benefit. For example, doing winter mountain hiking in New Hampshire in January the days are inconveniently short. Wait till March and the daylength is better but there's still plenty of snow and winter conditions. And cross-country skiing (lowland upstate NY) in mid-April with daylight past 7 pm is kinda neat.

One other nice thing about spring lag as while I like summer, I also appreciate the cooler shoulder season right before summer. The strong sun and long days of May combined with mild, relatively cool weather is a combination I like.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
There actually isn't a significant seasonal lag here. July is the warmest summer month, it all goes down hill in August, getting rapidly colder and cloudier. February is slightly milder than January, but colder than December. November is similar temps to March but with slightly milder nights. So a slight seasonal lag in autumn, mostly regarding night time temperatures. But not at all significant for an oceanic climate.
I think the high latitude is the reason. The difference in day length / sun height changes much faster past the solistice compared to further south. So high latitude oceanic climates have a relatively low seasonal lag. High latitude continental climates have the least:

Fairbanks, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

August is quite a bit colder than June. compared to a high latitude oceanic one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tromsø#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather