Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Cool. A lot of expense for a few months, but they would be something different.

I wonder whether they let them die, dig them up and store/sell them, or build protection over them?

I usually spend some time each summer along the New Jersey coast. There is a house right on the beach there that has coconut palms planted every year. And every year in December they bite the dust. I don't get it. They look strangely out of place imo. The owner of the house is a lawyer, so he must just shell out the money every year for these. They ain't small. I wonder how much he pays. They actually have coconuts on them too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 AM

173 posts, read 159,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
I would consider Toronto a warm temperate climate, but not subtropical.
Warm temperate is subtropical

Old 05-13-2021, 05:12 PM

61 posts, read 65,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Eh, it's not all that cold. Cold, yes, but not frigid. Those snow icons are for snow showers, by the way, according to the forecast. Just a persistent light snow. Quite typical for the Great Lakes region.
Those temperatures are well below seasonal in Toronto in December, even daytime highs are below freezing so it's definitely frigid.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,220,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've been hearing a lot in the news here about the warmest weather for 2012 here in Canada for many decades.. and I personally believe it's a trend to warmer weather.
I checked out the winter averages for some places in Southern Ontario and it seems that with winters losing their snowpack and a trend towards much milder temperatures... it seems some parts of Southern Ontario are gradually becoming humid subtropical over time.

Check out these stations for January 2012 - the averages look much closer to what you might see in NYC or Boston on average vs. the averages for Southern Ontario

Windsor, ON

Daily Data | Canada's National Climate Archive

Toronto Airport, ON

Downtown Toronto, ON

What are your thoughts?
If southern Ontario is on its way to becoming a Cfa climate, then so is central Indiana, however since this thread is almost 9 years old I would venture to guess that southern Ontario has since seen comparatively hard winters since this thread was debuted in 2012.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 PM

1,551 posts, read 873,404 times
I think this is a joke thread.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:16 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
No

Old 11-28-2021, 08:16 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
If southern Ontario is on its way to becoming a Cfa climate, then so is central Indiana, however since this thread is almost 9 years old I would venture to guess that southern Ontario has since seen comparatively hard winters since this thread was debuted in 2012.
Well, Windsor-Riverside is already Cfa climate using the -3C threshold, and Windsor Airport will most likely be once the new 1991 to 2020 averages come out, Detroit already is. I don’t really consider the city subtropical, but it’s on its way, and can grow some subtropical plants like cold hardy evergreen Magnolias and Mimosos trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor,_Ontario#Climate

Old 11-28-2021, 12:10 PM

102 posts, read 83,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes I've been noticing that Toronto generally doesn't have a snowpack most winters anymore... it is becoming more Vancouver like which is why I'm wondering if it's becoming more like a humid subtropical climate than a typical continental one.
Well, if Toronto is becoming more Vancouver like then it's becoming more like an oceanic climate NOT a humid subtropical climate. If Toronto is becoming humid subtropical over time, then Houston and New Orleans would become tropical.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Well, Windsor-Riverside is already Cfa climate using the -3C threshold, and Windsor Airport will most likely be once the new 1991 to 2020 averages come out, Detroit already is. I don’t really consider the city subtropical, but it’s on its way, and can grow some subtropical plants like cold hardy evergreen Magnolias and Mimosos trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor,_Ontario#Climate
The idea of classifying Windsor in the same zone as Tampa is patently absurd.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:41 PM

1,551 posts, read 873,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
We are getting there ...

Environment Canada Downtown Toronto (St Catharines/Niagara Falls are warmer than Toronto):
Jan mean:
2012 -0.6C <-- Subtropical
2011 -5.2C
2010 -4.2C
2009 -7.0C
2008 -0.9C <-- Subtropical
2007 -1.7C <-- Subtropical
2006 +1.1C Yes, it's a PLUS, not a typo <-- Subtropical
2005 -5.4C
2004 -7.9C
2003 -6.6C

I couldn't find data for St Catharines/Niagara Falls.

The trend seems to move us to a transition subtropical zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Snowbird, I think your on to something.

Curious, I checked Environment Canada website and looked at January data for
warmest places in southern Ontario.
Keep in mind data available is old 1971-2000 normals.

I think more areas of southern Ontario in the fututre will meet Koppens -3c
coldest month mean temp threshold.

Here are a few examples:

Burlington avg jan high -0.9c avg jan low -8.6c mean -4.8c

Chatham avg jan high -0.3c avg jan low -7.0c mean -3.7c

Niagara Falls avg jan high -0.4c avg jan low -7.9c mean -4.2c

Port Dahousie avg jan high -0.6c avg jan low -7.1c mean -3.9c

St. Catharines avg jan high -0.5c avg jan low -7.7c mean -4.1c

Hamilton** avg jan high -0.4c avg jan low -6.8c mean -3.6c **downtown weather station

Toronto** avg jan high -1.1c avg jan low -7.3c mean -4.2c **downtown weather station

Windsor avg jan high -0.9 avg jan low -8.1c mean -4.5c
Quote:
Yes, Toronto (especially downtown Toronto) and some selected regions such as St Catharines/Niagara, Hamilton, Windsor Chatham Leamington stand a good chance reaching the threshold of -3C Jan mean.

One thing to point out though is the lattitude of Toronto is deceiving in terms of climate. Toronto was built beside a huge body of water, lake Ontario, and far away from Georgian Bay and lake Huron. That's why Toronto is warmer and just South of the snow belt.

Downtown Toronto is zone 6b and I am not surprised it will eventually move into zone 7a or 7b (NYC, DC), making it the coolest subtropical city in the foreseeable future.

BTW, St Catherine/Niagara region and the Windsor area are already in zone 7a, according to some websites.
Quote:
Downtown Toronto from 2003-2012 (10 years) Jan mean: -3.42C
Quote:
I used data from Environment Canada for downtown Toronto from 1971-2000 (30 years) and from 2003-2012 (10 years):
Downtown Toronto Jan mean (40 years from 1971-2012 excluding 2001-2002 no data): -4.005C

In summary, from 2003-2012 (10 years): Jan mean -3.42C

We are getting to the -3C threshold soon

Is it fair to begin to say "Downtown Toronto is shy of 0.42C to be technically subtropical" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
I would consider Toronto a warm temperate climate, but not subtropical.
Here are a couple of communities adjacent or just a fifteen minute drive from the city.

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...970&dispBack=0

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...034&dispBack=1

Can you tell me with a straight face that this is warm temperate or near subtropical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather