Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
What do you think about Columbia? Sabal palms grow well there.
They do. However, they were planted there by humans aka human intervention. Their natural range only extends about 20 or so miles inland from the coasts of SC and GA.
Heck even the coastal areas have more than they should due to human influence/preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
They do. However, they were planted there by humans aka human intervention. Their natural range only extends about 20 or so miles inland from the coasts of SC and GA.
Heck even the coastal areas have more than they should due to human influence/preference.
I love that about South Carolina. You'll see more palms in Columbia than Mobile which is considerably warmer.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:

I've actually seen pictures of livistona palms and washingtonia palms in Columbia as well. Not sure if it is an anomaly of the inland South or the fact that the Appalachians help places in the inland South east of the mountains. I believe Augusta, GA has the same types of palms as Columbia.

You don't see those types of palms in Jackson, MS or Montogomery, AL. And Atlanta is too high in elevation for the more tender palms.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:20 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
I love that about South Carolina. You'll see more palms in Columbia than Mobile which is considerably warmer.
Having the palmetto as the state tree helps. If it were a state tree of Alabama, I'd bet there would have been more in Mobile as well. I remember seeing some planted as far north as the Rock Hill, SC exit on I-77 in 2013, but they were probably destroyed during the polar vortex of early 2014. A more temperate tree now grows alongside that exit.

Georgia's state tree is the southern live oak (another subtropical evergreen), but being on the northern end of the tree's range, only a few naturally grow in places like Savannah. The vast majority that you see downtown on the squares were planted there by humans.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times
Quote:
Kind of but they do die or get totally browned out and fried every now and then. Throw in the fact that it's not uncommon to see single digit temperatures and it's hard to call it subtropical. Maybe in terms of averages but not in reality due to wildly fluctuating temps.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM

633 posts, read 662,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Kind of but they do die or get totally browned out and fried every now and then. Throw in the fact that it's not uncommon to see single digit temperatures and it's hard to call it subtropical. Maybe in terms of averages but not in reality due to wildly fluctuating temps.
exactly, natural range of the sabal being ~20 miles inland in SC is established for a reason. they probably get knocked back every few hundred years... i think coastal SC is definitely subtropical but as you go further inland i would consider it a transition to continental-subtropical...

Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Speaking of palms, I saw a CIDP yesterday, that was about 50 ft tall and badly burnt from a fire at a neighbouring cafe. Must have been quite a sight when it was in flames. It's getting the chop today, so will get a photo.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM

633 posts, read 662,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've actually seen pictures of livistona palms and washingtonia palms in Columbia as well. Not sure if it is an anomaly of the inland South or the fact that the Appalachians help places in the inland South east of the mountains. I believe Augusta, GA has the same types of palms as Columbia.

You don't see those types of palms in Jackson, MS or Montogomery, AL. And Atlanta is too high in elevation for the more tender palms.
the Appalachians make virtually no difference because they are too short. maybe a 1-2°F advantage being east of the mountains. the biggest difference is that Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville are more in the line of fire for cold fronts...

Old 08-05-2015, 01:39 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
exactly, natural range of the sabal being ~20 miles inland in SC is established for a reason. they probably get knocked back every few hundred years... i think coastal SC is definitely subtropical but as you go further inland i would consider it a transition to continental-subtropical...
From what I've seen sabals are hardy to 7F, but Savannah has recorded 3F.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
From what I've seen sabals are hardy to 7F, but Savannah has recorded 3F.

Warm PDO and cold AMO with that 3F in Savannah, same as what we will have this winter, unlike last winter. This could be 1985 all over again in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather