Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times

Advertisements

So Sydney and NYC are equally subtropical now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,391,559 times
Sydney is more subtropical being warmer year round. They are at different stages of transition. (temperature wise)

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Sydney is more subtropical being warmer year round. They are at different stages of transition. (temperature wise)
Sydney isn't warmer year round though.

Are you trying to say that Sydney is more subtropical because it has a smaller seasonal, .....more temperate range?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM

Yes.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM

So the less transitional a climate is, the more subtropical it is?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM

No quite. The 'inbetween' the more transitional it is. So SC in the states would be more transitional than New York city. Orlando would still be transitional but more sub/tropical than Washington DC but would go under the transitional 'umbrella'.
But keeping in mind the two subtypes cool/cold winter and warm winter.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
No quite. The 'inbetween' the more transitional it is. So SC in the states would be more transitional than New York city. Orlando would still be transitional but more sub/tropical than Washington DC but would go under the transitional 'umbrella'.
But keeping in mind the two subtypes cool/cold winter and warm winter.
So now there are no set rules, other than the "inbetween" rule?

South Carolina is more transitional than NYC - really?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,944,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes I agree.

Places in the lower end of the zone are much more debatable. From my subjective view, the "most" subtropical would be the climate most evocative of year round warmth. I would say that here is warmer over the year than somewhere like NYC. The far greater heat of a New York summer doesn't compensate for the colder winter and adjoining months.

You might be right about NYC, but I took a look at a comparison between Nelson and Washington, DC.

Washington is warmer than Nelson for 7 months of the year. The summer avg temp diff between the two is a very large 15F, while the winter diff is a lot smaller and is 7.4F.

The year round mean for DC is 58.2 vs 54.7 for Nelson.

Nelson is only warmer in the three winter months, and one Spring month (March vs September).
DC is warmer the rest of the year, except for a tie in the 3rd Autumn month (50.1 Nelson vs 49.6F DC).

Even here in Philadelphia we average 6 months warmer, with one additional month very close (2nd Spring month 54.4F Nelson vs 54.0 Philadelphia).

So really, it is not just the summer that is warmer but extends beyond the summer, particularly for DC.

I'm not saying that DC is subtropical and Nelson isn't. Nelson can grow more subtropicals due to the lack of winter frigid cold. I just think it is inaccurate to say New Zealand is warmer except for summer.

If our winter std deviation was as low as Nelson, DC could grow a lot more vegetation. It is the deep swings in winter which would kill tender vegetation. Your avg low is in the mid 30'sF in that part of NZ, but the winter temps don't usually go below 23F. Around a diff of 13F.

In DC, the avg winter extreme winter minimum at Reagan National Airport is around 10F. In 2008 it went down to 8F. That is 21F below the mean Jan low of 29F. That one extreme night each winter would kill off the veg that can grow in Nelson and doesn't get killed off. Also, colder daytime temps or ice days due to the high std deviation would be more frequent. This prevents a lot of subtropicals.

We can just get much colder in the winter.

Venice, Italy has Jan avg's of 42/30.4F, just about the same as DC. Yet, you will not see a scene like this in DC. I doubt you would even see a scene like that in Norfolk, VA or the Outer Banks of NC.
All because of the wild swings in winter temps.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,720,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You might be right about NYC, but I took a look at a comparison between Nelson and Washington, DC.

Washington is warmer than Nelson for 7 months of the year. The summer avg temp diff between the two is a very large 15F, while the winter diff is a lot smaller and is 7.4F.

The year round mean for DC is 58.2 vs 54.7 for Nelson.

Nelson is only warmer in the three winter months, and one Spring month (March vs September).
DC is warmer the rest of the year, except for a tie in the 3rd Autumn month (50.1 Nelson vs 49.6F DC).

Even here in Philadelphia we average 6 months warmer, with one additional month very close (2nd Spring month 54.4F Nelson vs 54.0 Philadelphia).

So really, it is not just the summer that is warmer but extends beyond the summer, particularly for DC.

I'm not saying that DC is subtropical and Nelson isn't. Nelson can grow more subtropicals due to the lack of winter frigid cold. I just think it is inaccurate to say New Zealand is warmer except for summer.

If our winter std deviation was as low as Nelson, DC could grow a lot more vegetation. It is the deep swings in winter which would kill tender vegetation. Your avg low is in the mid 30'sF in that part of NZ, but the winter temps don't usually go below 23F. Around a diff of 13F.

In DC, the avg winter extreme winter minimum at Reagan National Airport is around 10F. In 2008 it went down to 8F. That is 21F below the mean Jan low of 29F. That one extreme night each winter would kill off the veg that can grow in Nelson and doesn't get killed off. Also, colder daytime temps or ice days due to the high std deviation would be more frequent. This prevents a lot of subtropicals.

We can just get much colder in the winter.

Venice, Italy has Jan avg's of 42/30.4F, just about the same as DC. Yet, you will not see a scene like this in DC. I doubt you would even see a scene like that in Norfolk, VA or the Outer Banks of NC.
All because of the wild swings in winter temps.

Really? I'm sure all those plants can grow in Norfolk, VA and Outer Banks of NC. That looks almost like a neighbourhood you can find here in Vancouver.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,607,512 times
Looks similar to this house in Leeds - Google has recently updated Streetview, they were there before, so they've clearly survived 1 chilly winter and 2 very cold winters. Surely they must be able to grow en masse in the Outer Banks.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-07-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather