Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times

Advertisements

I love it when spring is slow to start. I don't hate warm weather into fall since it's usually comfortable, but would prefer it to cool off quicker than it does here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
I have a funny feeling my first 20c isnt too far away.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Thats not necessarily true.
Its usually december like here I bet.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,540,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The 24h mean temp in BA Sep-Nov is 17.5C, in Mar-May 17.8C, so as we all said, a minimal seasonal lag. Almost none.
Thanks for explaining
Not surprised that BA doesnt have seasonal lag.
But MDP i think it haves a more pronounced seasonal lag no doubt.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM

797 posts, read 1,345,889 times
The worst "lag" was when spring finally was arriving at our dairy farm in Minnesota.
The snow had melted, the frost was gone, and the mud was finally drying up. Field work was ready to start ( mid April)

Then, an overnight snowstorm drops about 8 inches, temps drop, the grond turns back to cold mud and fieldwork is delayed a couple weeks due to below normal temps.

Always hate " going backwards" when that far along into spring.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I counted the seasons as three month periods, not by actual temperatures. Of course November is warmer than May, as Nov is the last month of spring, and May the last of autumn. Like I doubt you'll find any places in the northern hemisphere where May is colder than November. It's also extremely rare to find places where autumn is sunnier than spring.

The 24h mean temp in BA Sep-Nov is 17.5C, in Mar-May 17.8C, so as we all said, a minimal seasonal lag. Almost none.
Most of the Southeast and Great Plains states in the US have far sunnier autumns than springs.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,432,700 times
Well seasonal lag is a feature of more maritime climates and seems to be more to do with moderating effects of cooler sea temperatures limiting the temperature in spring and early summer, below what it would be if it was more inland. You can clearly see this in places like California and Western Africa where as you go inland the spring/early summer max temps become much hotter and take on a more "normal" profile with late June/July getting the highest temps. The compromise is that these places are slower to cool in autumn. However I would prefer a climate with less seasonal lag.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
That's me, I'm not a fan of cold days in May when the days are long yet you don't want to go outside and enjoy them or of 15C and humid weather in November when you wake up to dark and grey and dress for the idea that it "looks cold outside".
I like a slight delay. The very long days and strong sunlight of mid to late May combined with mild, very comfortable weather creates my favorite weather of the year.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,910,392 times
I remember the first year I moved to California, it was in the 70's in the Bay all summer with 60's in San Francisco. I remember wearing a jacket to July 4th fireworks. Then came fall and it jumped up to 108 even along the coast (in Monterrey of all places). That was the only time the Pacific Ocean actually felt decent. Actually, it was still cold but the sun warmed you up quick.

That same year was 87 at Halloween. It finally cooled down in December to mid 50's and rain which it stayed until March, when it was in the 80's for a time period and then 60's from April through May as the fog settled in. That summer however featured several heatwaves into the 100's in June, July, August, September, and October.

The only real constant was mid 50's to mid 60's and rainy/overcast in the winter.

I have to say I kind of liked the lag...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,270,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I love it when spring is slow to start. I don't hate warm weather into fall since it's usually comfortable, but would prefer it to cool off quicker than it does here.
In my fictional climate, spring is usually beginning by the first week of April. There is always a 'last hurrah' for winter though that usually comes in late April, sending temperatures into the 20s or teens with accumulating snow.

Summer lingers into October with highs in the 90s almost a certainty during the first half of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather