Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkerForLife View Post
I think Adrianna must be about 19-22 years old. It's very laughable that she complains that taking gloves off to text and post her pics on facebook as a major problem. In fact, I find that comment to be far more laughable than her thinking 50 is cold She has no clue how it was 15 years ago when no one owned a cell phone. People took pics with film cameras and hope they turned out okay and then share their stories with their friends AFTER they got back from their trip. I am amazed at how this generation has to share everything with their entire social circle immediately.
It sounds like you should get off the internet and find a group of miserable old cronies to moan and whinge about how much better the old days were, rather than spewing on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I think it depends on the individual, how they (or how they think they ) acclimatise to warmer/cooler conditions compared to where they have just come from.

A family from Tahiti has been staying at the neighbours for a few days. Having come straight from there, they didn't even seem to notice the cold, didn't comment unless asked ( colder than Tahiti, but still nice ) and went swimming on several days - the kids for quite long periods.

In contrast, a friend who lived in Sydney for a while, never seemed to get over the climate shock of a NZ summer, often complaining about being cold, obviously overdressing and generally being dramatic.

I think it's individual dependent.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think it depends on the individual, how they (or how they think they ) acclimatise to warmer/cooler conditions compared to where they have just come from.

A family from Tahiti has been staying at the neighbours for a few days. Having come straight from there, they didn't even seem to notice the cold, didn't comment unless asked ( colder than Tahiti, but still nice ) and went swimming on several days - the kids for quite long periods.

In contrast, a friend who lived in Sydney for a while, never seemed to get over the climate shock of a NZ summer, often complaining about being cold, obviously overdressing and generally being dramatic.

I don't think the recent conditions in Sydeny had much to recommend them. Giver me a month like NZ's February (this one!) anytime for preference.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,889,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

So true!!! I really desire to travel and would travel much more so than I can afford too. I am also a self confessed geography, history, and climate geek so I would embrace climatic differences when I'm travelling rather than complain about them! When I was at Bronx Zoo (The coldest day of my trip- 17 F when I got to the zoo and didn't get above 23 that day), I practically had the whole place to myself being it was a weekday and even cold by NYC standards, I had a conversation with one of the staff members who told me that most people wait for milder days if they want to visit the zoo in winter. I told him that I'm from California and actually enjoyed experiencing the cold as it was a novelty for me...he laughed and said asked me to send some warm CA sunshine his way...I said I'd try.....
But if you saw me, you'd probably think I was overdressed for those temps.

When I got back from Hawaii the previous year, I was a little dramatic about it being "so cold" in California the first couple of days I got back acting like 50 degrees is absolutely freezing but it was probably because I had so much fun in Hawaii that I didn't want to come back.

I'll see how I do in Minnesota next January of 2014. When I have more money, I'd like to visit more exotic places such as tropical Costa Rica, Arctic Alaska, and maybe take a cruise around the world.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather