Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Grass here is green all year even during the winter of 2008 when we had heavy snowfall.
The snow lasted 8/9 weeks on the hills in 2010 and the grass was still green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
OK, doesn this mean that places with Oceanic climates are good for year round green grass. Europe seems to be the same with year round green grass.
Or maybe America has grasses from places that aren't suited to cold. Because remember they are at 40n and those places don't really get as cold as our latitude.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Owen, our grass is probably the same type as there, but the snowpack takes its toll. In Saskatchewan there must be a different type.

The winter of 2007-2008 was very mild here, with monthly means above or at freezing. That year the grass didn't turn brown, but was similar to the UK. It even started to grow in January, as it 'thought' it was already spring. I think the snowpack is the only reason why it turns brown in the first place. This winter was very snowy in December, but after 1.5 cold months, the grass was still completely green, when some of the snow melted, so even prolonged periods of snow doesn't turn the grass immediately brown.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The grass is always always green here even if it gets to -18c and stays snowy for 6 weeks like in 2010.

I think maybe the grass that we have is a northern grass and so maybe it is used to the cold.
The grass in far northern locations in North America turns brown after a few hard freezes, i.e. in autumn. In a colder season such as 2009-10 the grass will be brown from the Yukon to northern Florida. Also, the grass turns brown in Finland (a colder place than Ireland) while under a snowpack, so it's not just a matter of acclimatization to cold.

My guess is that different species of grass have differing pigmentation when they go dormant. Surely even in northern Ireland the grass isn't growing when it's -18C, so it appears that North American grass turns brown as soon as it goes dormant, whereas European grass either remains green year-round or turns brown well after dormancy sets in.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The grass in far northern locations in North America turns brown after a few hard freezes, i.e. in autumn. In a colder season such as 2009-10 the grass will be brown from the Yukon to northern Florida. Also, the grass turns brown in Finland (a colder place than Ireland) while under a snowpack, so it's not just a matter of acclimatization to cold.

My guess is that different species of grass have differing pigmentation when they go dormant. Surely even in northern Ireland the grass isn't growing when it's -18C, so it appears that North American grass turns brown as soon as it goes dormant, whereas European grass either remains green year-round or turns brown well after dormancy sets in.
Well that must be it. The grass stops growing here in the winter as the temps go below freezing quite often.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I think also the snowpack plays a big part. From what I know, hard freezes in the Candadian and US plains can occur much before snow. Here, hard freezes most usually come after the snowpack has formed, protecting the grass from the extreme temperatures.

On the drought side, when do you start to see the changes?
During the summer drought in 2006 the grass turned completely brown, as the conditions were so different from normal. From June 28 to August 14 we (Helsinki) collected 5.0mm of rain, and the grass had big difficulties to recover even if irrigated. Also July had 400 sunshine hours, enhancing the effect.
Otherwise, it's really rare to see the grass turn brown during the summer, as it usually rains a sufficient amount to keep it green. Whatever that amount is.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
This was the grass in Leeds in July 2006, but this is before the hottest weather arrived later in the month and temperatures exceeded 32C. Needless to say, I have never seen grass like this in winter. I'll continue looking for more images, as this is the only one I have found so far of that hot, hot month (by our standards)..

The long Walk by eepasp, on Flickr

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM

And even then that grass isnt the brown colour that they get.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Indeed, I'm not sure if the grass has ever turned completely brown here, probably not.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Grass always turn brown here every summer around August typically. However last year I don't think it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather