Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times

Advertisements

That's what spring is. Famously variable. And in most of the US, the rainiest part of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM

419 posts, read 551,608 times
Temperatures are all over the place in the spring. That's just how it is in the northeast/midwest most years. While spring lacks temperature consistency, some years do have nice weather -- drier and sunnier. Others, gloomy and rainy. Either way, the temps tend to be variable no matter how sunny or rainy it is.

Here in Pittsburgh:
*Spring 2010 - decently sunny, some rain here and there
*Spring 2011 - ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS! Rained almost everyday. Gloomy 80% of spring. Depressing to think about.
*Spring 2012 - decently sunny, some rain here and there
*Spring 2013 - late start and almost as bad as 2011 (lack of sun) but hopefully it will turn around.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
The dead of winter rages on in Oklahoma and looks like it will for the next couple of weeks.

The past two years have been early springs followed by 110*F temperatures all summer long. Maybe the late spring this year will keep things cooler in the summer, who knows.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Spring is a transition season between winter and summer - almost by definition there will be a spectrum between summer-like weather and winter-like weather, with summer-like weather winning out by the end. The typical pattern is for the snowpack to break up in March, and blooms and leaves to come out in April and May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The dead of winter rages on in Oklahoma and looks like it will for the next couple of weeks.
In the case of Oklahoma City, you'll be getting up to 80F in 4 days, staying above 80F for 3 consecutive days, and then not having a single high below 60F for the next week. Honestly, that's closer to summer than it is to winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Remember Spring? That gloriously beautiful season between Winter and Summer, where temperatures were mild, but not not, temperate, sunny and clear skied.
[...]
Are there places in the US that actually enjoy an actual and protracted SPRING season?
The places in the US that have stable enough weather to have the same weather for 2-3 months during Spring aren't unstable enough to have the four season climate that makes Spring possible to begin with (i.e. the blooming/leafing-out season). The closest thing that comes off the top of my head is coastal Alaska. It might sound crazy, but places like Anchorage and Juneau average highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's or 50's for 3 months out of the year - those 3 months are the summer months, so it's not quite what you're looking for but it does offer stable weather and blooming. Another place that comes to mind is the Pacific Northwest - they are reputed to have very long Springs, and having A/C turned off most of the summer is pretty common.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
In the case of Oklahoma City, you'll be getting up to 80F in 4 days, staying above 80F for 3 consecutive days, and then not having a single high below 60F for the next week. Honestly, that's closer to summer than it is to winter.
It's kind of early to know for sure, but some here are predicting another ice storm next Wednesday into Thursday. If that's the case, we'll warm up fast to the 80s early next week and then be back below freezing by the end of next week.

Summer in Oklahoma City can be consistently above 110*F. The 80s are nice, balmy, spring weather.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Summer in Oklahoma City can be consistently above 110*F. The 80s are nice, balmy, spring weather.
I certainly don't agree about the nice aspect, but days in the 80's followed by ice storms is definitely spring weather, which is distinct from winter weather. In simple terms: consistent 80's = summer, consistent ice storms = winter, and 80's + ice storms = spring . Also, as I recall OKC averages in the mid 90's during the summer - 110F summers do occur, but only in exceptionally hot years.

It would be cool if you had another ice storm after those 80F temperatures - ice storms in April are rare enough in Oklahoma, so it would really be something if you had two. Of course we all wish for no power outages in the event an ice storm; if your power stays on ice storms can be a cool experience, depending on whether or not you're the icicle type.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

47 posts, read 93,914 times
No Spring here (Abq,NM)

Just took the tarps & blankets off my vegetables this morning.

Only 2 seasons here......winter & road construction.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
OP, I know what you mean. We just had a few days with temps in the 80s, and while it was nice, I just wasn't ready for it to be summery all of a sudden. Spring came back today, after a HUGE thunderstorm, with temps in the 60s, and should should stay that way for the next week at least.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Remember Spring? That gloriously beautiful season between Winter and Summer, where temperatures were mild, but not not, temperate, sunny and clear skied.

I have lived in three states in the past ten years - one in the North East, one in the Mid West, and one in the Middle Atlantic, and it's been the same everywhere. - A cold day, followed by a hot day, three cold, seven rainy, a hot day, and then - BAM it's Summer and the A/C goes on.

Has anyone else noticed this change? Are there places in the US that actually enjoy an actual and protracted SPRING season?
??

We have data that goes back over 100yrs for some spots. I urge you to spend a day and look through the temps for "SPRING". I guarantee you that this has been happening forever. Its called transition. You're locations so happens to be in the prime spots for a lifting and sagging Jet stream.

Try looking at "some" areas of California where temps are more steadier. But rest assure, more likely you'll find these flucuations from very warm to very cold in March & April and even into May.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
I can sympathize with the OP, it's extremely frustrating to have spring with lots of cold and hot days and little in between as sometimes happens. And many of the regulars on the forum don't value the in between days. After a cold March, this April appears to be seasonable or seasonably warm with a few outliers.

History | Weather Underground

Many recent years, we get a bunch of hot days (which feel too much since we don't have time to adjust to warmer weather) and then a mass of rather cool days. I'm hoping it just stays consistently mild, there's a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather