Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 AM

287 posts, read 448,918 times

Advertisements

For climate overall, I'd say Norway, followed by Canada, Sweden and Russia.

For climate range, definitely Japan. It has climates for almost all tastes all within a short distance. Chile could be second in the ranking, having practically every climate on Earth in its territories. Italy and Argentina aren't too bad too.
US and China have obviously the widest range of all, but their size is too big to really feel the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 AM

504 posts, read 779,328 times
There are only a few contries, which actually have good climates without any exception... Canada, for example, has a lot of great climates to offer, but it actually still has some climates, which I wouldn't really like (like the southern continental BC-climates with relatively hot summers and the BC maritime climates without real winters)... That also counts for Russia (probably over 95% of that country have a great climate, but there are still some bad ones). Scandinavian climates are all pretty great overall, but Norway and Sweden still have some pretty mild winter-climates, while Finland actually has none of those. Iceland doesn't really have a bad climate, too.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
The USA in terms of a range of climates to suit almost anyone, also happens that most of the east coast is perfect for me.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 08-29-2013 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
Usa.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
I'll be chauvinistic but in terms of climatical diversity France isn't bad, especially compared to its size. From the cool oceanic on the channel, to the drier/warmer oceanic of Atlantic big south-west, to mediterranean in south-east, passing from more continentalized forms of all those climates, some humid subtropical around Toulouse and Lyon, pannonian-like in Burgundy, southern German-like climate in Lorraine and Alsace, and finally all the variations due to the extremely varied elevations, from low lying plains to the high peaks of the Alps and pyerennes (3000 to 4807m), passing thru "average montains" of Jura and massif central (around 1000/2000m), highs plateaus (1000m) and many hilly areas (below 1000 meters); which give huge scape of climatical variations. Plus the tropical climate of many oversea departements, and some sub artic ones...

Obviously, the giant countries such as Russia, USA, Canada, Brazil, etc. will have variety, but since that's with the condition to travel as much as if we change continent, compared to their size I find them quite homogenous.

In Europe, Spain is also among the most varied climates, due to the Atlantic and mediterranean facades, plateaus, various mountain ranges, which created close very distinct climates, often with sharp contrasts.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM

688 posts, read 842,057 times
USA would have the biggest variety. You have everything from tropical to deserts to extremely cold winters. The only thing missing is a true equatorial climate like SE Asia or the very northern parts of Australia.

Australia has a big variety too, ski fields to true tropical to desert climates both dry and humid that would give the Middle East some stiff competition. The major missing piece of the puzzle is very cold winters.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,186,337 times
Spain, Greece and Italy have the luckiest climates for me.
In terms of climatic diversity I would say Italy, France and Spain because in a relatively small area they have a wide range of climates: humid temperate, mediterranean, oceanic, and alpine climates (even semi-arid climates in southern Spain).

Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM

600 posts, read 660,331 times
historically its been western Europe that has experienced the best climate throughout history, hence their quicker development and resulting hegemony over the rest of the world for such long periods of time...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't think Russia is that popular climate-wise. For its size, it lacks in diversity. Argentina is more diverse despite being considerably smaller.

I'll say the US. Almost every climate is represented so you don't have to move overseas to find a suitable environment. I also has the best Dfa climates in the world imo. The presence of the Gulf of Mexico allows for rather abundant precipitation year-round. Canada to the north and Rockies to the west enable rather "interesting" weather patterns. Significantly better than Asian Dfa climes, which often get ruined by the huge Siberian anticyclone in winter and the gloomy, overly wet summers.
I guess if continental climates are your thing, the US is one of the best. Asian climates at similar latitudes to me are even more extreme:

Shenyang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're Asian Dwa climates, though. Probably unsatisfying for a continental climate fan, with nearly snowless winters, soggy, sticky summers. Southeastern Europe has a less extreme version of a Northeast US climate, but with higher cloudiness, less rain and warmer nights. Even out to Central Asia:

Almaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warmer nights and drier for the same mean high (Mine is 60°F/36°F, 45 inches)

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Spain, Greece and Italy have the luckiest climates for me.
In terms of climatic diversity I would say Italy, France and Spain because in a relatively small area they have a wide range of climates: humid temperate, mediterranean, oceanic, and alpine climates (even semi-arid climates in southern Spain).
I would agree with those, at least in climates I like. Though the choice would more obvious if I were allowed to merge countries: Those countries are at a disadvantage size-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather