Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you live in? What climate do you like?
I live in a cold climate and like cold climates 7 23.33%
I live in a cold climate and like hot climates 10 33.33%
I live in a hot climate and like hot climates 5 16.67%
I live in a hot climate and like cold climates 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times

Advertisements

What's the relationship?

Feel free to post any ideas about why people in cold climates like heat, why drama/interesting weather tends to appeal to people in CA, FL, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I don't know if I've ever detected a clear climate preference for what the general population in my area like, or even if there is one. Probably the idea most commonly expressed, would be to escape winter here and spend a winter in Queensland.

It would be rare for people to say the would want a colder winter, as most people seem to think in terms of already having a cold winter. A few would like a warmer summer, but that doesn't seem that common either, as most would think of here as already having a warm summer.

Complaints about weather are usually in response to a particularly cloudy/wet/dry/scorching/frosty etc month, but I'm always amazed how quickly most people forget what the weather has been over the preceding year.

I don't think I've ever actually met anyone with the degree of climate preference/obsession as some posters on here.

Personally, the sort of weather I like is very common here, except for warm summer nights.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
I live in neither and I don't like either.

I live in a moderate clime and I'd prefer to live a more contrasted one. Some people want what they can't have.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
I live in a relatively cold climate - average temperature around 5°C (40°F) - and I like it a lot. Summers have been too warm lately but if they were normal they'd be fine too. Usually there's just enough heat to remind me I don't like it.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times
I don't think Kharkiv is either hot/cold because with quite cold winters, we easily can get hot in summer. And not only in summer - heat in May and September is quite common here. This year, heat started in the end of April.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,520 times
I would say I live in a hot climate, average yearly temperature is around 60 (15.5C). I don't necessarily hate my climate, but I would like summers and winters to be about 5-10 degrees colder with at least 8 to 10 inches of more snow. Rainfall distribution is great though.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I live in neither and I don't like either.

I live in a moderate clime and I'd prefer to live a more contrasted one. Some people want what they can't have.
Ditto, although I don't like summers anywhere near as warm as you do.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
I live in a relatively cold climate - average temperature around 5°C (40°F) - and I like it a lot. Summers have been too warm lately but if they were normal they'd be fine too. Usually there's just enough heat to remind me I don't like it.
I've been calculating the new averages (1991-2013) for Helsinki so far and it doesn't look good. 11 months are jumping up, summer even more than winters...

Why must everything be hot vs cold? I live in 4 season climate and I want to live in a 4 season climate.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I live in a continental climate, with hot weather from May through September, and cold winters (for the latitude) from December through April. Fall and spring are short and rainy. My preference would be for a milder climate, perhaps still with seasonal variation but a minimal need for air conditioning in the summer, and no need for snow-tires in the winter. But such climates are generally only available in coastal regions, or in small continents where maritime effects aren't blocked by mountain ranges and penetrate far inland.

I was born in a locale with an even harsher climate, then moved to a moderate one, and have been for quite a number of years in my present location. The prior time in the moderate climate really spoiled me and vitiated my resistance to harsh extremes in temperature. One supposes that people who never move have easier time adapting to their local climate, for other than during occasional travel they've known nothing else. But what really hurts is adapting to a climate that one comes to prefer, only to then lose that luxury, returning to a place with a harsh climate.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I don't live in a hot or cold climate.. but somewhere in between.. I'd definitely prefer a consistently hot climate I like a hot climate mainly because of the kinds of activities I enjoy which doesn't really allow me to do them in a way I like here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather