Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times

Advertisements

Additionally, the Philadelphia metropolitan area to my south has the unique feature of supporting 2 climatic zones. Humid continental and humid subtropical. One can see a drastic variation in the weather conditions between the southern and northern suburbs of Philadelphia.

A typical winter day high temperature is in the upper 40's F for southeastern suburbs like Vineland NJ while northwestern suburbs are usually around freezing. Snow is extremely rare in the southeastern suburbs of Philly, while northwestern suburbs experience in very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
In California, its best to live near the coast. Inland areas are an oven in the summer and vary WAY too much. I traveled to Sacramento for a week in June, and got a terrible headache due to extreme daily variations.

For me, Roanoke, VA undoubtedly has the best climate in the United States. I need some heat + humidity to feel happy during the summer, but don't like extreme amounts. I also like a little snowfall from time to time, and gorgeous fall colors.

Yuck to the Northern California coast. I like my summers warm enough to wear shorts and go swimming in an outdoor pool. San Francisco has great city life but I couldn't live there because of the lack of a "true summer"- they do get warm 70 degree days in October though but only lasts for a month. San Jose and anywhere 30-50 miles inland has a far better climate for living in IMO. I can take day trips to SF and put on a windbreaker in July for day once in a while but wearing a jacket on most summer days is just not right.

Sacramento is usually in the low 90s during the day and bottoms out at around 60 at night. But by the time you leave the house at 8AM or so it's usually around 65-70 and stays above 70 until midnight. How can that make you sick? San Jose is usually like 82/57 in summer but for the past few days, we've been getting crazy diurnal ranges with late fall like lows and summer like highs... 47/84. The house is a little chilly in the morning but wearing a sweatshirt takes care of that problem.

I like some humidity too but mainly just for the thunderstorms. My ideal summer temperatures would be low 80s for highs and upper 60s for lows and a 4 or 5 thunderstorms a month. I found Florida's 90 + heat with dewpoints in the high 70s a bit too much for walking around outside during the day. Had to be in the water to be comfortable. Nights and mornings were funtastic though with temperatures in the low 80s.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I like some humidity too but mainly just for the thunderstorms. My ideal summer temperatures would be low 80s for highs and upper 60s for lows and a 4 or 5 thunderstorms a month.
Trust me, you will love NJ summers then . Here is what temperatures were like this August. It was mostly hot and humid, but with cool breaks in between.

Somerville Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NJ 08876

Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Trust me, you will love NJ summers then . Here is what temperatures were like this August. It was mostly hot and humid, but with cool breaks in between.

Somerville Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NJ 08876
I am considering moving to NYC in the future- partly for the four seasons climate but also for the city life, culture, and lifestyle. COL is very expensive though.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I am considering moving to NYC in the future- partly for the four seasons climate but also for the city life, culture, and lifestyle. COL is very expensive though.
In NYC its expensive. But there are interesting towns in NJ where you can find a nice 3-bed 3-bath 2-car garage house around 25 years old for $400,000 with a 45 minute-1 hour train ride to NYC. Not a very bad deal compared to Bay Area standards.

One tip, as you get closer to the shore or city, prices rise significantly. And if you are going into NYC, take the bus or train.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Burlington, ON

Lake Ontario and to a lesser degree the Niagara Escarpment help create micro climates
in Burlington (city of about 180,000 covering an area of about 72 sq. miles).
Elevations within city limits range from 242 ft at the Lake to almost 1,000 ft (300 m)
near Mt. Nemo along the escarpment.

Near Lake Ontario has a 6b gardening zone, 6a inland, with even some 5b on top of the escarpment.
Koppen climate zone Dfa (with higher elevations Dfb).
Average snowfall is 39 inches (100mm).

There are 2 WMO standard weather stations located in the city,
Burlington TS (located slightly inland near the Royal Botanical Gardens in Aldershot)
Burlington Lift Bridge weather station (located on a pier about 100m out in the Lake
at the entrance to Burlington Bay).

Burlington TS has cooler lows and warmer highs.
Burlington Lift Bridge has very mild lows and a longer frost free season,
first frost is in November and last frost in spring can be sometimes mid april.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
In NYC its expensive. But there are interesting towns in NJ where you can find a nice 3-bed 3-bath 2-car garage house around 25 years old for $400,000 with a 45 minute-1 hour train ride to NYC. Not a very bad deal compared to Bay Area standards.

One tip, as you get closer to the shore or city, prices rise significantly. And if you are going into NYC, take the bus or train.
I am currently a college student living at home with my parents and working part time. I plan on looking for an internship (paid) in NYC upon completing my CPA certification. I am content to live in a tiny studio or with roommates within NYC itself at first. I am also okay to live carless for a few years (I can always rent a car if I want to take weekend trips away from the city area). If I choose to settle in the NYC area for the long term (if I really like working and living there a lot), I may end up buying a house in NJ.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
You won't find the COL a shock, coming from the Bay Area. Might get a bit less space than you're used to though.

Quote:
I think she'd be best off in the city proper if she wants to experience NYC. As for microclimates: right by the water is milder, NJ is a bit more prone to extremes. NJ near the city gets the heat island but less of the ocean milding effect.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think she'd be best off in the city proper if she wants to experience NYC. As for microclimates: right by the water is milder, NJ is a bit more prone to extremes. NJ near the city gets the heat island but less of the ocean milding effect.
Nei, I was unaware of the poster's intent of coming to NYC. I thought the person was aiming to move into the general NYC metropolitan area. I wanted to assure them that COL is not extremely expensive compared to the Bay area, and used an NJ suburb housing price as an example.

I was unaware that she was a college student who wanted to do an internship in NYC. For that, I would suggest looking into upper Manhattan neighborhoods around 100th street on the west side, or go across the border into Hoboken or Newport, NJ. Those areas provide you with plenty of city life opportunities and are safe to travel through even late at night.

BTW, tell me about the micro climate in Massachusetts. I cant wait to hear your story .

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
BTW, tell me about the micro climate in Massachusetts. I cant wait to hear your story .
I live in the Connecticut river valley. We seem to get a bigger diurnal range than the hills or the coast, often reaching daytime temperatures found more commonly further south on dry days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather