Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah, but, the weather forecasters are from Atlanta; not southern Florida.
I know but I was just trying to make a point that not everyone is so heat sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,216,246 times
When the temperature is above -20C

*sigh*

Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,216,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
To TV meteorologists, anything under 80F is fair game to be called "cold" or "chilly", and anything below 35F is eligible to be "bitter cold". But don't forget that 100F is just "warm" . That's actually not a joke - in 2011 some jerk on The Weather Channel described 100F temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic as "warm", and those were record highs. Record lows this time of year in the same region run in the high 20's, but if that happened you would almost never see that described as "cool" or "chilly" - you'd be more likely to hear "bitter, bitter cold" than "cool".

50's for highs is not cold by any fair measure - chilly is more like it considering the time of year. True, it is below normal, but 100F would not be cold if it was normally 130F, nor would -50F be warm if it was normally -80F. You can rave about departures from normal all you want, but the terms "cold" and "hot" connote some sort of absolute standards. Now, the subfreezing morning lows can fairly be considered "cold" since it's an early freeze, but the days fall far short of what most people think of when they think of "cold". Heck, if it's sunny most people wouldn't even need a jacket in the afternoon, even taking into account the lack of acclimatization.
If anything below 35F is considered *bitter cold* I really want to know what temperatures under -40F are called (or do they consider that range to be just as cold as 32F???

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,750,221 times
Geez I wish we would have that cold snap about now, I certainly would not be complaining!

But folks here in Miami wear coats when it just reached low sixties.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,963,757 times
That cold wave reached us last night. Was 32°F this mid morning and going to be that way for the next few nights.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,971,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Coming cold blast: Parts of mid-Atlantic to flirt with first freeze

D.C. weather forecast: Cold weather expected this week

D.C. area forecast: Sunny start to week, but turning sharply colder midweek

The above are just a few of the local headlines in the last couple of days in my area of the country. COLD? Really? Daytime highs between 53-59 °F are COLD??? All this COLD talk is freaking peeps out. The maintenance crew at my office has already cranked the building heat up in the 70s – yuck! – and the women in my office are arriving and departing in their winter parkas and gloves. It’s mid-50s and you’d think it’s the ice age cometh all over again. What are they going to wear to keep warm when it’s in the 30s? Can't think of better temps to leave the house windows open, especially at night, when the air temp drops another 15-20 degrees

Just what do meteorologists/weather announcers/weather bloggers consider COLD? Is there some sort of standard? Mid-50s isn’t it
Hey be happy ur not in SWFL . Meteorologists won't SHUT UP about the "cold front" headed our way to bring "fall like temps" ... We can look foward to highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60's low 70. .. That's 4 degrees cooler than it has been. That's our significant weather change. We were told to even bust out our sweaters for the nights. Low 70s and girls will wear those Ugg boots with shorts. Cause they think they're kinda cold but maybe they're still hot. They can't decide.

Be happy you are at least getting a significant weather differences to talk about. I live in a land of idiotic meteorological forecasting. People would die here if they got anything that resembled cold

Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,695,903 times
It all depends where you're from and what you're used to, I think 10°C and lower is cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather