Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I would argue many are not, because they often have central heating and wear very warm clothing in winter. While those in areas with moderately cold winters sometimes live in houses that are totally unheated and wear less clothing. I would still say they are more tolerant than warm-weather dwellers, but I think in the end humans are tropical creatures and we can't adapt all that much. Left out in the cold (32F and below) without proper clothing we'd all freeze to death after long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,649 times
I am in a cold climate as I would call it and I am not even close to cold tolerant. I need the room temperature to always be over 21c or 70f to be comfortable enough. and can cope with 15-16c without a coat outside if the air is still and I am moving enough. Buxton's average temperature is only 8c/46f though.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
You're right. I don't think we truly are made for the extreme cold and we are tropical or Mediterranean climate beings.

I don't really like artificial cooling or heating, but my furnace is definitely on. My windchill is 24 degrees right now and we just had a light snowfall. I'm not comfy at all when I'm outside in this. I still believe the main reason that many people like the colder climates because they like snowmobiling, skiing, etc. and they definitely are bundled up. Still there are a few others who live in cold climates because they don't like humidity and mugginess. I doubt that it's actually the hot temps that bother most people.

BUT I feel fortunate. Just checked my record low for the yesterday and it was minus 8 in 1925 AND that's without windchill factored in.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You're right. I don't think we truly are made for the extreme cold and we are tropical or Mediterranean climate beings.

I don't really like artificial cooling or heating, but my furnace is definitely on. My windchill is 24 degrees right now and we just had a light snowfall. I'm not comfy at all when I'm outside in this. I still believe the main reason that many people like the colder climates because they like snowmobiling, skiing, etc. and they definitely are bundled up. Still there are a few others who live in cold climates because they don't like humidity and mugginess. I doubt that it's actually the hot temps that bother most people.

BUT I feel fortunate. Just checked my record low for the yesterday and it was minus 8 in 1925 AND that's without windchill factored in.
I love snow but I'd be satisfied only seeing it on holidays!

And yes, I met some Canadians here in Oz, and they didn't seem that much more able to stand the cold without all their warm clothing on.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would argue many are not, because they often have central heating and wear very warm clothing in winter. While those in areas with moderately cold winters sometimes live in houses that are totally unheated and wear less clothing. I would still say they are more tolerant than warm-weather dwellers, but I think in the end humans are tropical creatures and we can't adapt all that much. Left out in the cold (32F and below) without proper clothing we'd all freeze to death after long enough.
Don't you know that we, northern folk, have more hair on our bodies, more fat under the skin, counter-current circulation in our extremities.

Lol no everyone gets cold equally no matter what climate they are from. At most, some people have a higher metabolism or lead a more active lifestyle (or drink more hard liquor ) which makes them somewhat warmer.

With heat there is more latitude (no pun intended). Unlike with cold, you can (sort of) acclimatize to heat. Some people don't mind when their skin is sweaty and sticky or don't experience problems breathing with air gets hot and humid.

No one likes being cold but, like you said, with warm houses and warm clothes no one has to be.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM

122 posts, read 412,474 times
I live in a cold climate, Canada.

I am comfortable wearing shorts and a T-shirt from 11c (51F) and up.

everyone gets cold, When its Cold its Cold.

You have to dress according to the weather.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:15 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
It always depends on the person! As I get older, I just don't like being overly warm but I still do my yard projects on warm, humid days (mind you it is rarely 90 in T.R.)!

I have a friend that tells me when I'm older I won't be able to stand the cold and I'll grow to hate it. I'm still waiting for it to happen!

Its damp, raining, very windy today and my thermostat is still set at 65. Dec./Jan. I'll have it at 68. Of course, on windy days trying to heat my house to 70 wouldn't be an economical proposition as the walls aren't insulated.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Absolutely not, I do far better in 120F (48.9C) heat than in 45F (7.2C) cold.

I need a light jacket or hoodie if its below 70F (21.1C) or below 65F (18.3C) if there's a lot of sunlight.

I dread Winter even though Winters in NYC/Long Island aren't nearly as cold as the interior United States.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
I've lived in a warm climate all my life and just like people in the Great Lakes have had enough snow for a lifetime. I've had enough heat for a lifetime. Really, it can "burn" in hell....no pun intended.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-40c View Post
I live in a cold climate, Canada.

I am comfortable wearing shorts and a T-shirt from 11c (51F) and up.

everyone gets cold, When its Cold its Cold.

You have to dress according to the weather.
I'm not as tolerant to cold as that, but currently it's 51 outside and I can be perfectly comfortable in that wearing jeans, a Tshirt, and a thin button-up shirt. If I'm active outside I may actually get a little warm wearing that (but not warm enough for shorts). I think some people are simply better adapted for warm weather and some are better adapted for cold weather. You can look at me and tell I'd be out of place in the tropics: stocky, pale skin, blond hair, blue eyes, hairy. When it's "tropical" here, I have a hard time functioning. I was definitely not meant for a tropical climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather