Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
7.3 F?
Oops, I meant 7.3C. Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise!

I think I'd spontaneously combust if it ever got that cold here!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Oops, I meant 7.3C. Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise!

I think I'd spontaneously combust if it ever got that cold here!
Lol I was gonna say, that sounds like record-breaking cold for there and you were calling it 'mild'

Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Lol I was gonna say, that sounds like record-breaking cold for there and you were calling it 'mild'
Yeah the record here is 10.4F. I'll leave the cold weather reports to the Northern US posters!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 AM

584 posts, read 576,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian High View Post
Where do you live, your climate sounds really nice. West Yellowstone?
Not West Yellowstone. There's part of Wyoming on the western side of the Tetons that you can only access through Idaho (well, unless you hike over the mountains or get dropped in by helicopter). It feels more like Idaho than east-of-the-Tetons Wyoming (i.e. Jackson Hole) and I like Idaho better than Wyoming anyway. Plus, this side gets more snow.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Yeah the record here is 10.4F. I'll leave the cold weather reports to the Northern US posters!

Lol, like the Canadian posters live in salubrious climate land. Philly got that cold in the 80's frequently, but not nearly as much since 1990. You can leave the cold weather reports to us in winter, but to be honest, I have to laugh at UK posters hot weather reports in summer. Your hot weather reports are laughable, with pretty much average summer weather here. Take the good with the bad. You have lousy summers imo, but you have better winters.

I wish someone could offer a realistic scientific based explanation for what happened in the 80's. The cold in North America was bizarre. While Europe was getting warmer and warmer compared to previous decades, we were in the deep freeze. It would be fascinating to see how Europeans would react to a decade like the 80's there. You can bet all talk of global warming would end. Similar data to what is shown below happened all over the eastern US in the 1980's. Once the decade of the 80's is not computed into our 30 year averages, you are going to see increases in average temps, frost data, growing zones, etc. The 1980's skew data. Maybe it was Mt. Saint Helens eruption.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, like the Canadian posters live in salubrious climate land. Philly got that cold in the 80's frequently, but not nearly as much since 1990. You can leave the cold weather reports to us in winter, but to be honest, I have to laugh at UK posters hot weather reports in summer. Your hot weather reports are laughable, with pretty much average summer weather here. Take the good with the bad. You have lousy summers imo, but you have better winters.

I wish someone could offer a realistic scientific based explanation for what happened in the 80's. The cold in North America was bizarre. While Europe was getting warmer and warmer compared to previous decades, we were in the deep freeze. It would be fascinating to see how Europeans would react to a decade like the 80's there. You can bet all talk of global warming would end. Similar data to what is shown below happened all over the eastern US in the 1980's. Once the decade of the 80's is not computed into our 30 year averages, you are going to see increases in average temps, frost data, growing zones, etc. The 1980's skew data. Maybe it was Mt. Saint Helens eruption.
My first impressions of a Philly winter were from Rocky! It looked freezing cold so I guess I was always under the impression that that's what winters are like there.
I agree with you re summer over here. As other posters have pointed out before, our temperatures are more like your spring and fall. That's why we all head off to the Med during summer to get some heat and sun!
Realistically, we are never going to get much extreme weather here. Just Atlantic cloudy mildness, with the odd bit of continental weather mixed in.

The whole transport infrastructure in this country was designed for temperatures between 5 and 25C. Anything above or below that and we go into meltdown. Luckily, we are within that range 95% of the time!

Last edited by Dean York; 12-08-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:38 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
My first impressions of a Philly winter were from Rocky! It looked freezing cold so I guess I was always under the impression that that's what winters are like there.
I agree with you re summer over here. As other posters have pointed out before, our temperatures are more like your spring and fall. That's why we all head off to the Med during summer to get some heat and sun!
Realistically, we are never going to get much extreme weather here. Just Atlantic cloudy mildness, with the odd bit of continental weather mixed in.

The whole transport infrastructure in this country was designed for temperatures between 5 and 25C. Anything above or below that and we go into meltdown. Luckily, we are within that range 95% of the time!

Despite this Nov and December, we usually don't get the arctic blasts until January or late December. The best description of winter here is a long slog of 30's and 40's F temps with two to three weeks of brutal cold and ice days thrown in (and low temps in the lower teens or single digits). Then in March a dramatic warm up.

In an average winter Philly looks like this about 71% of the time:

File:Saint Mary's Church, Philadelphia.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

And like this around 29% of the time:

Philoadelphia

Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 AM

768 posts, read 654,072 times
10:00

-1C. Overcast with rare light snow (which will turns into rain afternoon)

Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
10:59 AM
6.5°C/ 43°F
Humidity 100%
Overcast

Only one year ago it was -7.6°C/ 18°F as a low on this day.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,398,274 times
5c and overcast at 11:19, breaking the sunny spell that's been lasting since the 1st. However, the future still looks sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.