Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,209,589 times

Advertisements

We're supposed to get cooler weather here tomorrow and I hope we do. We had to run the a/c for a few minutes to cool the house off. Some people can probably get by with opening the windows and fresh air is wonderful, but my husband's allergies are too bad to do that. I would say we generally have to run the a/c at least a little bit from March - November here. What do you generally do where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,266 times
We haven't had any a/c since August at least. And even then we only had to run it a few days at a time and usually comes off at night. We just pop in a window unit. We've actually been having the heat on during the day and definetly at night as its in the 20's. Now with this cold front coming the air will probably be on all day and night for at least the rest of the week

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,209,589 times
We had to run the heat a couple of weeks ago, but as I said, now we're back to a/c! Such is weather in Texas I guess. We had a couple of weeks just recently that were absolutely beautiful where we needed no heat or a/c.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
I havent run mine since late August. We had it on a total of 14 days all summer, which is about a week less than what we normally do. We've actually had to put the heat on a few times already.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,317,556 times
Even though we get some pretty hot summer days, we don't normally have the AC on much except from around noon until about 7 or 8 pm. We love it with the windows open even if it's a bit toasty in here. Generally we just use the AC 3-4 months out of the entire year. But like I said, it's not continuous and if the humidity isn't really high, we don't turn it on unless it's about 85 degrees.

BUT we've had the furnace on a few times already. We have a built in space heater, too and that's been staying on day and night recently. It's electric and now it's at the point that you can heat your home with electric cheaper then with propane. So we reserve the furnace for only the coldest nights. Generally, the heater will keep it somewhat comfy as long as the temps are above freezing. It won't be long though and the furnace will be on day and night and won't be shut off until the end of March. Actually, we've been VERY fortunate again this year. It looks like there's the possibility that we will have four decent winters in a row. We have had NO snow and we've never dropped below 20 degrees.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
Oh yeah, yesterday we had to run the AC in the afternoon (here in Dallas/Fort Worth). It was 87 degrees outside. So much for Fall in Texas! It's supposed to cool down for a few days but in the long range forecast I see that it's supposed to heat up again. Texas is too far south to get really cold for more than a few days unless the front is VERY strong (at this time of the year); even then it doesn't last as long as the front recedes to the North after a few days. So, we'll have two or three days in the 60s and then we're headed for the 70s/upper 70s after that. I guess it could be worse. I don't want it to be 20 degrees outside but a little seasonal temps would be nice, say in the 40s and 50s?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
We run AC when the temp gets consistantly over 105day and 70 night we turn heat on when it drops below 55 day and 40 night...sometimes....

I LOVE the desert

Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,171,755 times
Usually turn on the A/C for the first time in April and turn it off sometime in October. June - September is constant A/C. Yesterday was 81 but it was only 72 inside. Haven't had A/C on in probably 3 weeks now. No heat either

Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Usually turn on the A/C for the first time in April and turn it off sometime in October. June - September is constant A/C. Yesterday was 81 but it was only 72 inside. Haven't had A/C on in probably 3 weeks now. No heat either
Ya, but you're above the demarcation line for heat and humidity, the Red River.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,695,542 times
If it was my house, the A/C would remain off 350-365 days a year.

If you're just talking personal comfort, anything under 90 F outside and I'd probably prefer an open window. (Yah mon!)
However I know presciption meds can't be stored at such high temps so any room temp like 84 F and lower is a good compromise.

My parents usually prefer it under 80 F, so we tend to use A/C half of our summer afternoons. Sometimes in a heat wave they'll have it on at night, but if the air is under 80 F when the sun's down, they generally don't want A/C and instead open windows for a nice breeze.

Maybe I didn't answer your question right...

-We never have a whole month with A/C on since we can't go a whole month above 85 F. Longest stretch of A/C running all afternoon might be 3 weeks.

-Only when overnight lows don't drop below 75 F is it possible for us to want the A/C on 24 hours a day. At least 1-in-4 summers never get that hot for even one night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather