Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times

Advertisements

Recently I learned there was a small portion of Louisiana in USDA zone 10a in the 1976-2005 hardiness zone map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._%28USA%29.jpg

This makes me think areas such as the Breton National Wildlife Refuge for which no climate data exist could be within zone 10b, for the following reasons:

-The Breton National Wildlife Refuge and similar are small islands significantly further out to sea than the 10a area on the map that is connected to land. This would give the islands warmer low temperatures, possibly by quite a bit.

-That map is for 1976-2005, whereas the current time period is either 1991-2020 or 1993-2022 depending on how you look at it. The fact that an area on the land was already 10a in 1976-2005, and that the islands' distance from the land would arguably be enough to put them as 10b even in 1976-2005, is very suggestive that they are 10b with the warmed up current period.

Anyone else agree with this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 04:06 PM

No thoughts yet? I'm surprised, where in the southern US had what hardiness zone was always popular here.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:12 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
No there are barely any 10a zones in Louisiana. A 10b zone is Hialeah, Florida

Even Fort Myers is only a 10a climate.

Noplace in Louisiana is a match for even this 10a climate. Louisiana is mostly a zone 8 state with some zone 9

Old 06-24-2022, 08:19 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Recently I learned there was a small portion of Louisiana in USDA zone 10a in the 1976-2005 hardiness zone map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._%28USA%29.jpg

This makes me think areas such as the Breton National Wildlife Refuge for which no climate data exist could be within zone 10b, for the following reasons:

-The Breton National Wildlife Refuge and similar are small islands significantly further out to sea than the 10a area on the map that is connected to land. This would give the islands warmer low temperatures, possibly by quite a bit.

-That map is for 1976-2005, whereas the current time period is either 1991-2020 or 1993-2022 depending on how you look at it. The fact that an area on the land was already 10a in 1976-2005, and that the islands' distance from the land would arguably be enough to put them as 10b even in 1976-2005, is very suggestive that they are 10b with the warmed up current period.

Anyone else agree with this?
Where is it? I can't see it on that map. The highest zone I can see is 9b which exists in the outer part of the Mississippi delta and New Orleans, the same as most of central Florida and the Texas coast.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Where is it? I can't see it on that map. The highest zone I can see is 9b which exists in the outer part of the Mississippi delta and New Orleans, the same as most of central Florida and the Texas coast.
I think it is this region

unpopulated area but there is a fishing pier out there

Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

The only 10b climates are on the oil rigs out in the Gulf of Mexico
off the coast of Louisiana....

Old 06-24-2022, 08:54 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:

Oh ok, looking closer that area does look a different colour but it's so small it's hard to tell on a map of that scale.

At the risk of groans from those who aren't big palm fans, there is at least one royal palm that's been growing in the Missisippi delta for some time.

Here it is in Nov 2019 looking good going into winter

Here it is in April 2022 looking a bit shabby after winter

And it was already a fair size in September 2013

Old 06-24-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Oh ok, looking closer that area does look a different colour but it's so small it's hard to tell on a map of that scale.

At the risk of groans from those who aren't big palm fans, there is at least one royal palm that's been growing in the Missisippi delta for some time.

Here it is in Nov 2019 looking good going into winter

Here it is in April 2022 looking a bit shabby after winter

And it was already a fair size in September 2013
nice the apr22 one reminds me of this pic I took this winter of a weather-worn palm in 10a Florida after a "once-a-decade" cold snap we had.

Many other palms in the area seemed fine but a few like this one were beat up. I believe this was also a royal

Old 06-24-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
No there are barely any 10a zones in Louisiana. A 10b zone is Hialeah, Florida

Even Fort Myers is only a 10a climate.

Noplace in Louisiana is a match for even this 10a climate. Louisiana is mostly a zone 8 state with some zone 9
I actually found some Breton National Wildlife Refuge data. https://www.google.com/search?q=bret...active&ssui=on

Looks like the coldest month of January has an average low of 10 Celsius. Given an equivalent standard deviation compared to the average January low for the average coldest January temperature to New Orleans airport (which averages 7.8 Celsius and usually has a -2.2 Celsius coldest temperature), we get exactly 0 Celsius, so 10a.

Granted, this isn't exactly zone 10b. But there's more - being so far out in the Gulf, Breton would have a much lower standard deviation compared to its average temperature than New Orleans (as mentioned at the begnning of the thread).

If we were to assume the difference was similar to that between Florida's geographically similar situation of Miami (20.3 Celsius January average, 5.8 Celsius usual coldest temperature) and Key West (21.4 Celsius January average, 10.1 Celsius usual coldest temperature) for example, we'd get 3.2 Celsius as the usual coldest temperature for Breton, easily 10b. Even assuming that's an overestimate, Breton would only need to have deviations of 1.7 Celsius less than New Orleans to be 10b, which I don't see much (if anything) wrong with because of that mentioned distance in the Gulf.

What do you think about this?

Old 06-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I actually found some Breton National Wildlife Refuge data. https://www.google.com/search?q=bret...active&ssui=on

Looks like the coldest month of January has an average low of 10 Celsius. Given an equivalent standard deviation compared to the average January low for the average coldest January temperature to New Orleans airport (which averages 7.8 Celsius and usually has a -2.2 Celsius coldest temperature), we get exactly 0 Celsius, so 10a.

Granted, this isn't exactly zone 10b. But there's more - being so far out in the Gulf, Breton would have a much lower standard deviation compared to its average temperature than New Orleans (as mentioned at the begnning of the thread).

If we were to assume the difference was similar to that between Florida's geographically similar situation of Miami (20.3 Celsius January average, 5.8 Celsius usual coldest temperature) and Key West (21.4 Celsius January average, 10.1 Celsius usual coldest temperature) for example, we'd get 3.2 Celsius as the usual coldest temperature for Breton, easily 10b. Even assuming that's an overestimate, Breton would only need to have deviations of 1.7 Celsius less than New Orleans to be 10b, which I don't see much (if anything) wrong with because of that mentioned distance in the Gulf.

What do you think about this?
I am really skeptical of that being a 10b climate. Even 0c is hardly a 10A climate , if we are going by the USDA zones standards which are measured in Fareinheight with a 35F or 1.7c cutoff for zone10A.

While that could be a 10a climate, I don't think it is likelyto be 10b, which has a cutoff at 4.4c or 40f. I don't think it makes sense to extrapolate variances from Miami temperatures because S and especially SEFLA's microclimates are overwhelmingly impacted by the direct contact with the gulf stream.

I am having trouble finding the weather station associated with that location . https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/search
If you can find that weather station on the NOAA website we could pull 20 year historical data and run some analysis on annual minimums to see if you are right about this place being 10B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather