Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM

42 posts, read 39,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Hot down under!
Not even remotely hot here. Another early spring day, a mere 22C high after yet another bone chilling night. Had to use 2 blankets last night.

All this talk of heatwaves in inland Australia, day after day of storms in SE Queensland and NE NSW blah blah blah, might as well be another continent to where I am.

Apparently 2013 was the hottest year on record in Australia. My ass. Not here that's for damn sure

There is still hope, this crummer is not over yet - GFS shows some warmth FINALLY from around the weekend of the 11-12th (yes that's how ****ing long it will take for these ****en wintry southerlies to **** off)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 AM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
Now it's a wonderful cool noon here. AT 12.43 it's 22°C (72°F). The forecast high for today is 26°C (79°F). What a relief. It was the worst heat wave I can remember.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM

827 posts, read 866,100 times
19,3º here, 14:50

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM

284 posts, read 282,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast Cold View Post
Not even remotely hot here. Another early spring day, a mere 22C high after yet another bone chilling night. Had to use 2 blankets last night.

All this talk of heatwaves in inland Australia, day after day of storms in SE Queensland and NE NSW blah blah blah, might as well be another continent to where I am.
I know exactly what you mean. I just got home after spending 3 days up at Eildon camping. Was bloody freezing up there at night. I've been wondering where the hell summer is?

Meanwhile Brisbane is sweltering at the moment with a nice 37.7C and a dewpoint of 22.2
I think I wanna move back to Brissie (A city with a real summer). Too bad I'm stuck here for another 4 years at least.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie87 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I just got home after spending 3 days up at Eildon camping. Was bloody freezing up there at night. I've been wondering where the hell summer is?

Meanwhile Brisbane is sweltering at the moment with a nice 37.7C and a dewpoint of 22.2
I think I wanna move back to Brissie (A city with a real summer). Too bad I'm stuck here for another 4 years at least.
Melbourne and Victoria in general is just hopeless. We COMPLETELY missed out on all the recent inland heat, even northern Victoria didn't get a shred of it. What a joke Today is just another typical crummer 2013-14 day... 18C, overcast and windy. What a horses manky ass of a climate

There is still hope, GFS has been consistant on a period of warm weather from around the start of the Australian Open, it has been on this for several runs now so there is hope.

I've been looking through historical data, and it happens so that Dec 2008 was even worse than 2013, the first half of Jan 09 was ice cold but ended with several 44-45C days and the record 46.4C the next month.

That is what I'm clinging to right now.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM

473 posts, read 667,291 times
Up to a maximum of 42.6C here today, which is the hottest temperature I have ever experienced. Could even go past 43C, making it the hottest in a very long time.

Many records were broken in inland parts of southern Queensland yesterday, with widespread temperatures in the mid to high 40s. The most impressive was St George which reached 47.2C, a town about 200m above sea level. Before this heatwave, the record high was 45.4C. Interestingly, a line of storms developed in these areas experiencing the extreme heat, which resulted in temperature drops of about 20C in a short time. Of course, this line of storms split in half just as it was approaching Dalby, and as a result I didn't get a single drop of rain, just like always.

This heat will finally break down on Tuesday, with maximums going down to high 20s and low 30s, and thunderstorms expected. (Although I'm sure the storms will all miss Dalby again.)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
Up to a maximum of 42.6C here today, which is the hottest temperature I have ever experienced. Could even go past 43C, making it the hottest in a very long time.

Many records were broken in inland parts of southern Queensland yesterday, with widespread temperatures in the mid to high 40s. The most impressive was St George which reached 47.2C, a town about 200m above sea level. Before this heatwave, the record high was 45.4C. Interestingly, a line of storms developed in these areas experiencing the extreme heat, which resulted in temperature drops of about 20C in a short time. Of course, this line of storms split in half just as it was approaching Dalby, and as a result I didn't get a single drop of rain, just like always.

This heat will finally break down on Tuesday, with maximums going down to high 20s and low 30s, and thunderstorms expected. (Although I'm sure the storms will all miss Dalby again.)
Brisbane seems to be falling though now with a Nor'Easter, but that could still swing back late to the Northwest and reach the forecast max.
It has been a stunning summer around the inland areas of NW NSW and SW Qld (49C max in Birdsville), along with Northern South Australia:
Weather News - Records tumble in blistering heatwave

The big 50C remains as elusive though, and has been a long time since that was cracked - in the Pilbara region I believe was the last time.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 PM

60 posts, read 116,271 times
43.6C at Ipswich, Aus @3:10pm pretty bad out there

Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Latest GFS completely downgraded all warmth here. ****en usual.

WORST CRUMMER IN RECORDED HISTORY EVER **** THIS GAY PIECE OF **** CLIMATE

Old 01-04-2014, 12:34 AM

284 posts, read 282,969 times
Some high heat indexes today in Queensland. I noticed Burketown in the QLD Gulf recorded a 38.6C air temp with a 27.6c Dewpoint. Gotta be pretty sweaty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather