Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv View Post
Maybe the rain is turned to sleet by Bermuda's notorious winds? You may be right, but Geography of Bermuda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems to dispute this, even though they don't provide a source. I also think I may be wrong about terms:
I'm using "sleet" to refer to ice pellets; where the other frequent usage is for rain/snow mixed. The former we get all the time in Posadas, the latter never in history.
So you mean hail? Yes you can get that at any temp, I seen hail in Florida. But sleet you need to be near freezing without a doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Thus, there must be somewhere on Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands with a high just a couple degrees higher in January/December, since we've found places with lows ranging from 0 to 3.3.
I would say sicilly isles are the mildest place.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM

63 posts, read 98,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I would say sicilly isles are the mildest place.
I meant for Canada. Scilly is definitely the mildest for its latitude.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
So you mean hail? Yes you can get that at any temp, I seen hail in Florida. But sleet you need to be near freezing without a doubt
I don't know what to call it. It's not hail, I think this definition of sleet is the same as graupel. And in S. America icy precipitation is associated with 5 to 0 degrees, and snow of course below 0, and then hail is any temperature and often Quito and Bogotá and other Andean cities get some very nasty hailstorms.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM

As for mild climates in Northern Europe, I found this map of Iceland

In sheltered areas on parts of the southern coast near the glaciers, it averages above freezing. I remember doing an internet search and something came up for snow-free winters in some parks or something on the southern coast near some glacier, but, of course, I forget.

Edit: Island-town of Vestmannaeyjar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestmannaeyjar#Climate
It definitely does now there, but there are some islands in the archipelago without snow.

Last edited by Lviv; 12-31-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to call it. It's not hail, I think this definition of sleet is the same as graupel. And in S. America icy precipitation is associated with 5 to 0 degrees, and snow of course below 0, and then hail is any temperature and often Quito and Bogotá and other Andean cities get some very nasty hailstorms.
People from mild climates on here really confuse me. We have one person saying sleet then hail, I really don't know.

Joe 90 started talking about freezing rain and then said snow was impossible, yet here snow is easy but freezing rain impossible.

Could you possibly post a picture? I need to see because if you can get 5c then you can get sleet.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Rain turns to snow in Abingdon, Virginia. January 14-18th 2013.Rain for days then snow and ice! - YouTube

If you go to 1:35 thats what I consider sleet, mostly rain with wet snow flakes.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
People from mild climates on here really confuse me. We have one person saying sleet then hail, I really don't know.

Joe 90 started talking about freezing rain and then said snow was impossible, yet here snow is easy but freezing rain impossible.

Could you possibly post a picture? I need to see because if you can get 5c then you can get sleet.
Sure, this is sleet as in graupel/ice pellets, not "rain droplets sticking to snow flakes" sleet (it was taken by a farmer in July in a northern suburb of Posadas, in Misiones province, Argenina):

Mildest Climates at Highest Latitudes-511768.jpg

In Spanish they have "aguanieve" ("watersnow") which has the same two meanings as sleet in English, either graupel/ice pellets, or rain drops frozen onto snowflakes. In other languages they distinguish it. In other languages they have different terms for the two forms of precipitation described by sleet, like in my native language there is "rain[drops] with snow[flakes]"vs. "ice crust".

Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Temperatures in Posadas:
Mildest Climates at Highest Latitudes-posadas.png

Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Oak Bay probably has best winter climate in BC (most palm trees too).

Mildest on Vancouver Island is Amphitrite Point
January average high 8.4C average January low 3.9C Mean January temp 6.1C
Though I'm sure there are even warmer places but no weather station to prove it
Atkinson Point on the mainland (near West Vancouver) is even milder, jan mean is about 7C
Actually, Point Atkinson has a Jan mean of 6.1, and there's only 11 years worth of data, so it's hard to say how it compares to weather stations that have their averages being pulled down from the colder periods of yesteryear. There is no way that Point Atkinson has the warmest January in the province given its location. I bet if you were to compare the same years, Amphitrite Point would win hands down. Actually, many weather stations would be warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather