Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 AM

63 posts, read 98,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Actually, Point Atkinson has a Jan mean of 6.1, and there's only 11 years worth of data, so it's hard to say how it compares to weather stations that have their averages being pulled down from the colder periods of yesteryear. There is no way that Point Atkinson has the warmest January in the province given its location. I bet if you were to compare the same years, Amphitrite Point would win hands down. Actually, many weather stations would be warmer.
Data: Statistics: Point Atkinson, BC, Canada - The Weather Network
There is no way this data can be correct. It confirms what you're saying but says that the monthly snowfall for January is 12cm, but the record low for the month is 1.5C.This site in particular uses snowfall averages for nearby places a lot of times, so that may explain why. But that's really impressive! If it is as they say and every month has a record low above 0ºC except December, then I'm sure that December can't change the median to above 0.
Monthly Data
This website (government data) shows a number of years where the record low is above 0, and it just so happens that the snow data is missing. On the other hand, they show a number of years without temperature data but snowfall amounts up to 40cm.
Climate POINT ATKINSON - Historical weather records
This website shows no snow at all for the past 7 years, which may be unrealistic, because even with its mild temperatures, they aren't that mild so as to avoid snow for 7 years, and I would expect it would be usually once every 4/5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:17 AM

Finally! Median and not mean statistics!!!
Statistics: Tofino - Ucluelet, British Columbia - Farmzone
It would seem, however, that it's only for depth and not fall. An average fall of 31cm and median depth of 0cm seems a little unlikely. Probably, they record sleet and small hail and ice pellets as "snow"; and sleet/ice pellets doesn't accumulate.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Bergen Norway is very warm considering how far up north it is. Warmer than Rich, white collar, and overpriced Bergen County, NJ.

Bergen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trondheim, Norway is yet another Candidate. Above freezing average highs at 63.5 N :

Trondheim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the Kola peninsula towns are a lot colder than those bordering the Atlantic.
I don't subscribe to the notion that a mild climate "never gets snow." So these 2 cities at very high latitudes are incredibly mild considering that geographical fact. I thought Juneau at 58 degrees north was mild but these 2 Norwegian cities are further north and milder still.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv View Post
Sure, this is sleet as in graupel/ice pellets, not "rain droplets sticking to snow flakes" sleet (it was taken by a farmer in July in a northern suburb of Posadas, in Misiones province, Argenina):

Attachment 123144

In Spanish they have "aguanieve" ("watersnow") which has the same two meanings as sleet in English, either graupel/ice pellets, or rain drops frozen onto snowflakes. In other languages they distinguish it. In other languages they have different terms for the two forms of precipitation described by sleet, like in my native language there is "rain[drops] with snow[flakes]"vs. "ice crust".
That looks like freezing rain.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM

152 posts, read 226,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Sanremo, in the Italian Riviera, has the mildest climate in the world for its latitude, and it hardly gets any snow or frost (though rare snowfalls and sleets have been recorded).
At 43°48'N, it has an average of 16.6°C.

This beautiful city is warmer than Nice, Monte-Carlo, Cannes, St-Tropez, Toulon and any other city of Cote d'Azur and Italian Riviera, it's warmer than Zadar and Sochi too.
January average temperatures, in 1961-1990, were 6.8°C/13.4°C (average mean 10.1°C). Extremes for 1961-1990 are 1.6°C/31.8°C.
http://clisun.casaccia.enea.it/Profi...0capoluogo.Txt
Those extremes look incredibly mild, if they are correct I wonder where that weather station is located: must be right on the coast. This station (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stazio...ica_di_Sanremo) has extremes 36.1°C/-5.2°C.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 AM

287 posts, read 448,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
Those extremes look incredibly mild, if they are correct I wonder where that weather station is located: must be right on the coast. This station (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stazio...ica_di_Sanremo) has extremes 36.1°C/-5.2°C.
On the coast and likely a little affected by the urban heat island. However, Sanremo is usually very mild in winter (not in summer, although it usually does not exceed 30°C) and frosts are rare; given its peculiar geographic location - on a gentle slope descending towards a year-round warm sea, on a narrow coast belt sheltered by the mountains from the northerly winds, even experiencing a föhn effect sometimes- I do not find it very surprising.

Last edited by Troms; 01-01-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
That looks like freezing rain.
Freezing rain isn't pellets, it's a coating.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM

I think in addition to looking for places in BC with the highest minimum, we should also look for maximum. There just has to be somewhere on that island with a January/February maximum of 10ºC, since there are 8.4ºCs, and minimums range from (what I've seen):
0.3ºC–4ºC.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:32 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Freezing rain isn't pellets, it's a coating.
I've never seen that type of precipitation before. It seems to only happen in america.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Data: Statistics: Point Atkinson, BC, Canada - The Weather Network
There is no way this data can be correct. It confirms what you're saying but says that the monthly snowfall for January is 12cm, but the record low for the month is 1.5C.This site in particular uses snowfall averages for nearby places a lot of times, so that may explain why. But that's really impressive! If it is as they say and every month has a record low above 0ºC except December, then I'm sure that December can't change the median to above 0.
Monthly Data
This website (government data) shows a number of years where the record low is above 0, and it just so happens that the snow data is missing. On the other hand, they show a number of years without temperature data but snowfall amounts up to 40cm.
Climate POINT ATKINSON - Historical weather records
This website shows no snow at all for the past 7 years, which may be unrealistic, because even with its mild temperatures, they aren't that mild so as to avoid snow for 7 years, and I would expect it would be usually once every 4/5 years.
You can actually go download the monthly summaries here: Monthly Climate Summaries

I've done it for January 2012 for an example, and as we can see, the WARMEST place in Canada was MERRY ISLAND LIGHTSTATION with a mean of 5.5 degrees C. Point Atkinson only managed to average 4.8 degrees C.

Here are a list of other weather stations warmer than Point Atkinson:
- DISCOVERY ISLAND
- ENTRANCE ISLAND
- LENNARD ISLAND
- SOLANDER ISLAND (AUT)
- CUMSHEWA ISLAND
- ENTRANCE ISLAND CS
- SISTERS ISLAND
- SHERINGHAM POINT
- CAPE BEALE LIGHT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather