Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer?
London 43 49.43%
New Orleans 44 50.57%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Let's face it... the US South can get very cold once in a while... This past winter, the January average in Torshavn, Faroe Islands at 62°N was warmer than in Atlanta, GA and Torshavn's record low for the month 0°C (32°F) was slightly warmer than Daytona Beach, FL at -1°C (30°F).
Except Torshavn is extreme in oceanic-ness. Wuhan at a similar latitude to the Gulf Coast of the US (Mobile, New Orleans, Tallahassee), has an average January low of 32F. The record low might be similar, but someone who hates cold snaps isn't gaining anything in East Asia vs the US South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Dude for ****s sake this was in Pensacola last month:

Central Florida is close to being tropical, most of the south is not.
For ****s sake, that obviously isn't normal in Pensacola, and years can pass before event like that ever happen again.

Citrus making a comeback in Pensacola area - Florida Citrus Mutual

The South is far from tropical only in inland areas like Atlanta, Nashville, Boone, etc. It is nearly tropical in not only Central Florida, but also in South Texas (and coastal areas in the state), the Louisiana delta, and the rest of Florida. These are areas with commercial sugar cane plantings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Where do they grow mahogany in the southern US besides Florida? Isn't a truly tropical tree like that restricted from going anywhere there could be a freeze?
That's how warm the subtropics of the US is; it can support the growth of plants that are tropical in nature. Mahoganies can be found in not just Florida, but also in Louisiana and Texas.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The set-up this winter ensured that would happen.

In a normal winter it rarely goes below 25F on the coldest winter night.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlyftafullest View Post
Despite the cold winters of new orleans i would still choose it cuz in london id be cold for 10 months of the year
I'm guessing you don't know much abut the climate of London...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Whatever. No matter how you spin it, London was colder than New Orleans ever was.
No matter how YOU spin it you have no way of knowing that at all... You are using data from when reliable records began in New Orleans, yet are using unreliable & very inaccurate readings hundreds of years old from London, which even the UK Met Office do not use! Idiot.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
They get that cold because our oceanic influenced climate occupies a much smaller coastal strip compared to Europe. St. Louis, MO record low is 46F below the average low, and they are east of the Rockies.
Exactly, the get that cold because they're rather continental. I chose them as an example as they're not east of the Rockies and therefore the peculiar geography of North America (flat plains from Arctic Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, jet stream buckle because of the Rockies) can't be blamed for their record lows.

Quote:
When you look at the climate of Xian in the other thread, I couldn't help but notice the average low being 25F, same as here, yet the record low is 14F warmer than here. And we are only 50 miles from the Atlantic and at sea level. Xian is at 1,300 in elevation. Little Rock, AR is at the same latitude as Xian, but is at only 275' above sea level. Yet Little Rock record low is colder than Xian by 15F.
I don't think Xi'an is representative of Eurasian continental climates. Yes eastern China and Japan have overall small deviations. Though even there some cities have a large average low - record low difference:
Asahikawa, Hokkaido - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, as the central Asian examples nei posted, some are capable of very large deviations. What they seem to lack is the very high day-to-day variability the eastern half of the US gets. Large swathes of Russia, from east to west, have a 50-60°F difference between the average low and the absolute record:
Yekaterinburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ulan-Ude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tyumen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Khanty-Mansiysk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Irkutsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I would imagine that places in Central Europe going that far below normal would be very rare, whereas here it happens every 20 years or less. As far as record low temps, does anywhere in Central Europe come close to places here in the Upper Midwest? No matter how you slice it I'm pretty sure that North America has the most extreme anomalies on an extreme record basis and on a regular basis. I have to say it is the one thing I detest about N. American climates.
I just posted recent examples. I compared the number of subzero °F lows in Tallinn and Amherst, MA once. Tallinn got much more despite a lower standard deviation and milder average low.

I don't have data for Lodz, but Siedlce, Poland has had 39 lows 35°F below normal or lower since 1966.

The same city as showed in 2012 (Reims, 120 km east of Paris) back during an old school cold snap. On the 16th, the high was 37°F below normal and the low 39°F below normal. 4 lows more than 35°F below normal that month, and 4 others came close:
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Reims-Courcy (51)

Similar anomaly in a town near Amsterdam on the shores of the Ijsselmeer in 2012. High 28°F below normal, low 42°F below:
Meteociel - Observations Lelystad ( Netherlands ) - donnes mto de la station - Tableaux horaires en temps réel

Here's an example of a high stdev climate outside NA. From 104°F to 48°F for a high in 4 days:
Weather History for Cordoba, Argentina | Weather Underground

Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Torshavn's record low for the month 0°C (32°F) was slightly warmer than Daytona Beach, FL at -1°C (30°F).
I was there that morning! It never got above 5C the whole day.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
If someone had a thermometer a couple of hundred years ago in New Orleans how do you know it wouldn't have recorded a colder temperature?!? lol... And such old temperature records are not valid, even the UK Met Office does not use any such data as it is completely flawed.

There are plenty of historical temperature records for places like New Orleans and, I am certain, for London. People kept diaries, ship's logs, etc. We have newspapers that go back into the 1600s. Not difficult at all to come up with temperature charts and yes, they had thermometers.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are plenty of historical temperature records for places like New Orleans and, I am certain, for London. People kept diaries, ship's logs, etc. We have newspapers that go back into the 1600s. Not difficult at all to come up with temperature charts and yes, they had thermometers.
Yes that is the point. There are indeed records like that for London, but because there is no way of knowing how accurate they are, how they were recorded etc.. they are not used for official records, just as someones own back yard readings are in no way 100% accurate or official even now in 2014. We now have a standard way of measuring temperatures, at a standard height off the ground, in screens. How do you know if one of the old records was from a thermometer at ground level or even in a layer of snow?...

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM

753 posts, read 837,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I'm guessing you don't know much abut the climate of London...
To be fair, if he considers winters in New Orleans to be cold then he would indeed feel cold most of the year in London, as only June through September in London are warmer than NOLA's winter, and even then it's only by a few degrees.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
To be fair, if he considers winters in New Orleans to be cold then he would indeed feel cold most of the year in London, as only June through September in London are warmer than NOLA's winter, and even then it's only by a few degrees.
Well yes, but just because he considers somewhere cold does not mean it is cold...Someone who lives in an equatorial tropical climate would probably think Miami was cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather