Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What lasts longer?
Canadian winter 8 66.67%
Southern Australian summer 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 PM

414 posts, read 797,633 times

Advertisements

Thought this might be an interesting debate.

Taking this week, I note some Canadian cities are beginning to shake off winter , e.g. Edmonton, though it's likely to be a false dawn as I know they can get snow as late as April-May:

Edmonton, AB - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

Eastern cities such as Montreal are still dealing with mostly wintry weather, but a warm up might not be too far off if you project likely outcomes from cities further south and west e.g. New York, Chicago.

Meanwhile in Australia, the four largest cities in Australia's south are expecting temperatures above 30C this week. This week may be the final time Melbourne goes above 30C for the warm season, whilst Sydney and Adelaide probably have a few more days to go (especially western Sydney). Perth with its seasonal lag can see 30C temps as late as May some years. I'm excluding Canberra and Hobart from the analysis due to altitude and latitude respectively, which results in a more temperate climate in these cities.... though both of these may eclipse 30C too!

Going back to the start of the current season, Sydney eclipsed 30C in September (as it usually does these days). Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth take a little longer to warm up because of their exposure to maritime westerly winds- but 30C isn't unknown in September in Adelaide. Snow in a major Canadian city in September is pretty rare I think.

Additional note- we should focus on the main cities of Canada that aren't above the 60th parallel north (i.e. not Yellowknife or Whitehorse). Similarly, Brisbane and Darwin are excluded on the Australian side (above the 30th parallel south).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM

242 posts, read 261,814 times
Canadian winter for sure.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times
In my city no snow has melted yet.

Winnipeg, MB - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
It's pretty much subjective - it depends entirely on the person and how they perceive hot and cold.

For me, the Canadian winter would last longer since since they have 8 months of temps below 20C (Toronto, for example). That's pretty much a long winter for me. Even though a couple of days at 16C-19C would feel 'warm' to a Canadian, but definitely not for me (so again, it's subjective).

Btw, our summers also seem to last long (7 months) - we usually start warming up on September and cool down at around April.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Canadian winter for sure.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM

Maybe some additional clarifications are in order:

A (southern) Canadian winter might be defined as the time in which snow and/or average temperatures below freezing are a regular occurrence, at least one day per week. This constitutes winter for the average Canadian.

A (southern) Australian summer might be defined as the time in which >30C (86F) day temps and >18C (65F) night temps are a regular occurrence, at least one day per week. This constitutes summer for the average Australian.

Using this definition, a Toronto winter wouldn't be 8 months (and rightly so, the average Canadian would laugh at the notion of 20C being considered a 'winter' temp). Sydney's summer would last from mid/late September to mid March, Melbourne's a bit less than that.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
In my city no snow has melted yet.

Winnipeg, MB - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada
I think Winnipeg and Sydney are quite evenly matched in terms of the length of their "bad" seasons. I know summer lovers will disagree with me, but most of Sydney's inclement weather is in the warm season (extreme heat, bushfires, severe storms, flooding). The cool season is a lot tamer, save for the occasional East Coast Low and a few hours of gusty winds with a cold front.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
I think that Canadian winter is longer than Australian summer.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 AM

242 posts, read 261,814 times
Sydney doesn't get much in the way of extreme heat in summer. A lot of the days are mid 20's with cloud and onshore winds, sometimes bringing drizzle. They do get mild 18-20C lows for a good 3 months though, but again, it's cloudier than one might expect.

Melbourne gets stronger hot spells (e.g. in Jan we got 5 days over 40C, while Sydney Airport maxed out at 37C). But Melbourne also gets more crappy cold spells that Sydney avoids.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
Maybe some additional clarifications are in order:

A (southern) Canadian winter might be defined as the time in which snow and/or average temperatures below freezing are a regular occurrence, at least one day per week. This constitutes winter for the average Canadian.

A (southern) Australian summer might be defined as the time in which >30C (86F) day temps and >18C (65F) night temps are a regular occurrence, at least one day per week. This constitutes summer for the average Australian.

Using this definition, a Toronto winter wouldn't be 8 months (and rightly so, the average Canadian would laugh at the notion of 20C being considered a 'winter' temp). Sydney's summer would last from mid/late September to mid March, Melbourne's a bit less than that.
LOL, in Canada *spring* is when you get only one day per week with snow and/or freezing temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather