Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities' climates do you prefer?
Salta, Argentina 11 50.00%
San Diego, USA 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Here's some wiki excerpts on the weather in the two cities:

Salta:

Quote:
Salta has a subtropical highland climate (Cwb, according to the Köppen climate classification), and it is famous in Argentina for having very pleasant weather. Located in the subtropical north, but at an altitude of 1,200 metres, Salta enjoys 4 distinct seasons: summers are warm with frequent thunderstorms, with daytime highs around 26 to 28 °C (78.8 to 82.4 °F) and pleasant, refreshing nights around 15 or 16 °C (59 or 61 °F). Fall brings dry weather, pleasant days at around 22 °C (71.6 °F) and cool nights at around 10 °C (50.0 °F). By winter, the dryness is extreme, with very few rain episodes. Nights are quite cold at 3 °C (37.4 °F) on average, but daytime heating allows for high temperatures of 19 °C (66.2 °F). Snow is rare but not unprecedented, and frost is quite common, with temperatures reaching down to −7 °C (19.4 °F) during the coldest nights. Spring brings sunny weather with warm days and cool nights: days range from 25 to 28 °C (77.0 to 82.4 °F) with nights between 10 to 14 °C (50.0 to 57.2 °F).
Of the over 700 millimetres (28 in) of rain that Salta receives yearly, over 80% falls between December and March, when thunderstorms occur almost daily. During the rest of the year, blue skies dominate the region. Seemingly incessant summer thunderstorms greatly rejuvenate the surrounding mountainous landscape, making the various hills and mountainsides within the vicinity of the city green and lush once again. Salta receives 1863 hours of sunshine each year or about 5.1 hours per day.[1]
Salta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego

Quote:
San Diego is one of the top-ten best climates in the Farmer’s Almanac[43] and is one of the two best summer climates in America as scored by The Weather Channel.[44] Under the Köppen-Geiger climate classification system, the San Diego area has been variously categorized as having either a semi-arid climate (BSh in the original classification)[45] and (BSkn in modified Köppen classification)[46] or a Mediterranean climate[47] (Csa) and (Csb).[48] San Diego’s climate is characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters with most of the annual precipitation falling between December and March. The city has a mild climate year-round,[49] with an average of 201 days above 70 °F (21 °C) and low rainfall (9–13 inches [23–33 cm] annually).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...go,_California

Having lived in San Diego for quite some time, I can say that the weather was very pleasant. However, a few of my complaints were that there were no thunderstorms, it was very brown, and the weather was somewhat monotonous. People often would complain about "May Gray/June Gloom" but I actually liked that time of year because it was something different from the norm.

Salta has a subtropical highland climate that, as far as I know, is nothing like anywhere in the US. It has quite mild weather year-round, but also has a good amount of variation. It isn't as mild as San Diego as the winters are cooler and the summers warmer, but that's actually what I find appealing about it. I like the fact that it actually has thunderstorms and with the amount of precipitation that it receives, I would imagine it is a good deal greener than San Diego. Seems like a very good balance of humid and dry as well. So I had to vote for Salta. It has the mild weather combined with the refreshing variation which I find very appealing.

Last edited by Bluefox; 03-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: add a link.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
San Diego by far.

Salta's summers are too wet and humid. The sunshine hours are plain ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
San Diego by far.

Salta's summers are too wet and humid. The sunshine hours are plain ridiculous.
This. And Salta's winter lows are too cold.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
San Diego in a canter.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:18 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Salta, by a whisker.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,829 times
Salta for being colder and having more rain.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
I would have actually voted for Salta, then i saw the sunshine hours.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
The sunshine hours are definitely wrong. I don't have the exact numbers right here, but it's a much sunnier place, especially in winter and spring, during the dry season.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Here's some wiki excerpts on the weather in the two cities:

Salta:

Salta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego

Climate of San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having lived in San Diego for quite some time, I can say that the weather was very pleasant. However, a few of my complaints were that there were no thunderstorms, it was very brown, and the weather was somewhat monotonous. People often would complain about "May Gray/June Gloom" but I actually liked that time of year because it was something different from the norm.

Salta has a subtropical highland climate that, as far as I know, is nothing like anywhere in the US. It has quite mild weather year-round, but also has a good amount of variation. It isn't as mild as San Diego as the winters are cooler and the summers warmer, but that's actually what I find appealing about it. I like the fact that it actually has thunderstorms and with the amount of precipitation that it receives, I would imagine it is a good deal greener than San Diego. Seems like a very good balance of humid and dry as well. So I had to vote for Salta. It has the mild weather combined with the refreshing variation which I find very appealing.
Subtropical highlands climate sounds like the climate of Tuscany in Italy, or some mountain areas along the rugged coast (except the precipitation season is completely the reverse of the Mediterranean climate)

Also arguably this could describe the climate of Nantucket, Massachusetts quite well but with more rain in summer in place of heat waves.

I kind of prefer San Diego's climate. I want the dryer air associated with it being warmer time of year. Then I'm not drenching in sweat. I prefer the colder season have more moisture as then dry can affect skin and moisture won't up the heat index.

Looks like San Diego and Salta get their temperature variations very similar and rainy seasons opposite. With the hemispheres being opposite each other, they get their wet and dry seasons in the same months, and opposite each other on wintertime vs summertime.

Last edited by EricS39; 03-24-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
San Diego for warmer winters and for being sunnier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather