Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times

Advertisements

For Nice: July - warm, sunny and dry.

For Paris: no idea, not sure what the sereotypes are abroad. Maybe April - "you'll never know the charm of spring until you've spent April in Paris".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times
i put in 'Paris typical weather ' into google and underneath came up loads of pictures of snow/freezing pics which is a bit daft .

That's the one thing i don't really associate Paris with

Old 06-08-2017, 08:30 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
July. The South is known for being hot and muggy.
Yea and maybe a little unfairly so. July and August in Atlanta are pretty much always hot and humid. June definitely can be (but not always, we had a high around 80 today) but May and September aren't bad at all so you're really looking at just 2-3 months of actual uncomfortable summer weather.

Interestingly, as you go south into Florida I think a lot of association is with warm winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
i put in 'Paris typical weather ' into google and underneath came up loads of pictures of snow/freezing pics which is a bit daft .

That's the one thing i don't really associate Paris with
LOL same. I think cool to warm temps like 40s to 70s.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The problem is often the sun hours in the colder half of the year. You could probably find a number of locations that are similar in summer, but in winter it's a fool's errand. NZ has laces where winter is sunnier than summer, absolutely impossible in the UK.
Sunshine differences for the UK's sunniest locations start to become obvious by the first month of autumn, with a drop off in percentage that would be quite sharp by NZ standards. Mid to late spring seems quite sunny for the UK, while for much of NZ it's a cloudy time.

Temperature similarities are really only confined to the summer months, as the last month of spring and first month of autumn already show a difference of 2-3C between climates with similar summer maximums.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sunshine differences for the UK's sunniest locations start to become obvious by the first month of autumn, with a drop off in percentage that would be quite sharp by NZ standards. Mid to late spring seems quite sunny for the UK, while for much of NZ it's a cloudy time.

Temperature similarities are really only confined to the summer months, as the last month of spring and first month of autumn already show a difference of 2-3C between climates with similar summer maximums.
depending on where you are Joe in NZ /UK - I would find Summers in Christchurch very cool - but winters very mild .

You have to bear in mind how cool UK summers are already - i don't think most of NZ really gets a summer - that's my honest opinion

Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
depending on where you are Joe in NZ /UK - I would find Summers in Christchurch very cool - but winters very mild .

You have to bear in mind how cool UK summers are already - i don't think most of NZ really gets a summer - that's my honest opinion
Even in Christchurch, the last month of spring and first month of autumn are as warm or warmer than the UK's warmest locations - my point isn't about which is warmer though, but responding to the idea expressed by Razza94, that NZ and the UK are similar over one half of the year, but I'm saying that that similarity is only really confined to the warmest three months.

I'm not sure what the relevance of saying the UK already has cool summers -so does NZ

I don't buy into the "real summer" thing, everywhere has real summers. Cool/ warm/ hot summers, is language I understand.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Christchurch is 1c warmer over the year than my place Joe - and i have just about the coldest winters in the UK at sea level - far from being the warmest .

So lets say there isn't much in it.
London will be warmer than Christchurch and a whole host of other towns . And v/ versa

It's a C grade all the way Joe . No disgrace there - but hardly the tropics

The Australians will always have a much better climate than the both of us by a trillion miles - Porstmouth /Nelson wherever ...even where there are Cidp's

Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Christchurch is 1c warmer over the year than my place Joe - and i have just about the coldest winters in the UK at sea level - far from being the warmest .

London will be warmer than Christchurch and a whole host of other towns . And v/ versa

The Australians will always have a much better climate than the both of us by a trillion miles - Porstmouth /Nelson wherever ...even where there are Cidp's
From what I've seen your location is currently my favourite UK climate, although closer to the sea than the station and using slightly dated averages.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Not sure what your point is, or why Christchurch keeps getting a mention. Beyond the tree months of summer, differences between the UK and NZ soon become obvious. My climate shares similar temps and sunshine to Rome, for half the year, but I don't regard Rome and Motueka as similar, just as I don't regard Ipswich and Motueka as similar, just because three months are close for temperatures

Not sure why Australia entered the conversation. I've had 7 summers in Australia, and aren't really a fan overall - either too hot, or too dry. Coastal NSW south of around Sydney, is pretty nice though. For me, it's Australian winters that are standout.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Razza yeah ,it's not a bad old climate - but as i said to Lommaren it's very gloomy for so long in winter that you feel like a mushroom - another 200 hours of sun in the winter would be superb ......and those 1971 averages , Someone too lazy to update maybe lol.

The older figures sometimes show colder winters so that claim to the coldest place may even be unfounded ,although i hope it would stay with the 1981 figures .

Now you would think somewhere like Birmingham would be colder at night (at sea level ) in winter wouldn't you ,that far inland . Something i've never quite understood - although i am nearer the near continent -so maybe that's why .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather