Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't get comments like that either. I'm from Miami where summers are 33 C and humid (which is about ideal for me) but I wouldn't say a climate that has 22 C summers isn't a "real summer". I would think those summers after experiencing 3-7 C weather with cloudy skies a lot of the time would feel comparatively warm.

Bottom line - all temperate climates have "real" seasons. The severity of it depends of course on many factors but Death Valley's summers aren't any more "real" than Glasgow. They're just infinitely more intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I think i mentioned before that Brits generally have a very negative opinion of their own climate (some /most for a very good reason) . Brits love NZ and Australia - they would rarely run their climate down anyway . There are places i love and i tend to talk about that climate more favourably than perhaps i should .

I know a guy who lived in Auckland area - (back here now) he said it was fantastic - people were great ,the place was great ...fair enough ,i believe him of course ==== but then when he gave the climate details, i thought he was talking about St Kitts and Nevis maybe ?

Also , the UK varies - many UK locations are cooler than NZ anyway in summer - only in the SE do you see an average of 22.5 or more .

NZ also is pretty sunny in summer , so that all makes a difference . I was simply saying how cold i might find the NZ summers as a whole . I could be wrong .

Did any Brits comment on how cold the nights were there ?
While summer here can have cold spells (nights around freezing or colder) I don't think you would find NZ summers cold, but it certainly isn't Spain

Brits do comment on cold nights here, or more particularly on the diurnal ranges during winter/spring, although some parts of the country can see dramatic diurnal ranges during summer some years, with up to a 23C diurnal range as a monthly average.

NZ varies too, but as a whole, NZ summers are warmer than England summers by 1.6C.

Auckland does have great summers imo.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-09-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 01:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
Razza true - there are distinct boundaries ie nature /trees and a certain feel .

I will go along with the 4 seasons of course

Summer feels like summer to you and me (and Joe ),but to someone from Wsetern Australia ?? i'm not so sure .

I get the winter thing . Not extreme cold like Russia or Winnipeg lol but our winter always feels longer than 3 square months

Maybe if i put the 4 seasons like this ,
Winter

November ,December, January, February, (even March) - winter feel ie a slight damp feel even when no rain present , daytime temp range 4 - 16c .... 70% of the time a light grey cloud .
Sunny days always a crisp feel 5-7c . Frosty nights . Nice smell of wood fires/burners , trees bare , dark nights . Drizzle on some days yes ... arghhh

Spring

(March) April, May (June) ....starting off with bone chilling cold nights , garden coming to life ,first sign of bees - lighter days , can feel the sun strength more - first sign of sun redness on skin . Nearly always 15 - 20c . 50 /50 sun and cloud . Grass needs cutting more and more ,array of bulbs , garden centre leaflets piling through the door .

Summer

(June) July (August) (September) - Summer can get quite intense tbf Strong rays, 16c - 30c - nature in full steam . Wasps ,Slugs, squarking gulls ,lawnmowers,drills .BBQs . Nights warming up by late June .
Still too cold at Felixstowe beach though Thunder , nice volume of rain .

Autumn

(August September ) October - Autumn is possibly just the one month in it's true definition (colourful leaves) - nights drawing in , nice sunsets, warmish nights to begin ... lovely feel about the place - esp in the countryside - wildlife on the move , birds storing food ... fave time of year ,but leaves not in color for long enough (envy those in New England about now) ... Gales - Hurricane Geoff/Bradley/Sheila will knock the garden about . noticeably more rain late on as you head towards Nov .

November - see winter !!! November is the devil's work

Old 06-09-2017, 01:58 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
New York: April - The craziest month where you can get either snow or 32C weather. Probably the most accurate description of New York's climate

Old 06-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
While summer here can have cold spells (nights around freezing or colder) I don't think you would find NZ summers cold, but it certainly isn't Spain

Brits do comment on cold nights here, or more particularly on the diurnal ranges during winter/spring, although some parts of the country can see dramatic diurnal ranges during summer some years, with up to a 23C diurnal range as a monthly average.

NZ varies too, but as a whole, NZ summers are warmer than England summers by 1.6C.

Auckland does have great summers imo.

I suppose it is all down to location - but no ,i find summers of 23c thereabouts warm enough apart from odd very cool spells like on Monday .

But still regard summers there and here as cool ..my summers are about the same as NZ locations NORTH of Christchurch/Alex - below that line, it looks colder than i've experienced summer wise .

England stretches right up to the Scottish borders - Summers up there are dodgy - ask a Geordie

Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is all down to location - but no ,i find summers of 23c thereabouts warm enough apart from odd very cool spells like on Monday .

But still regard summers there and here as cool ..my summers are about the same as NZ locations NORTH of Christchurch/Alex - below that line, it looks colder than i've experienced summer wise .
I regard my summers as cool as well - I'm a horticulturalist by profession, so cool is a term I use freely, as it puts summers into a relative scale against other summers.

Your summers are about 3C cooler than the warmest NZ summers, and about 3C warmer than the coolest NZ summers, so you are about typical for a NZ summer.

Your maximums are a little cooler than my summer maximums, and the minimums a little warmer. First month of autumn shows a 2C drop, and the last month of spring is 2.7C cooler -not sure why you have warmer summer minimums -shorter nights,or more cloud possibly?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Razza true - there are distinct boundaries ie nature /trees and a certain feel .

I will go along with the 4 seasons of course

Summer feels like summer to you and me (and Joe ),but to someone from Wsetern Australia ?? i'm not so sure .

I get the winter thing . Not extreme cold like Russia or Winnipeg lol but our winter always feels longer than 3 square months

Maybe if i put the 4 seasons like this ,
Winter

November ,December, January, February, (even March) - winter feel ie a slight damp feel even when no rain present , daytime temp range 4 - 16c .... 70% of the time a light grey cloud .
Sunny days always a crisp feel 5-7c . Frosty nights . Nice smell of wood fires/burners , trees bare , dark nights . Drizzle on some days yes ... arghhh

Spring

(March) April, May (June) ....starting off with bone chilling cold nights , garden coming to life ,first sign of bees - lighter days , can feel the sun strength more - first sign of sun redness on skin . Nearly always 15 - 20c . 50 /50 sun and cloud . Grass needs cutting more and more ,array of bulbs , garden centre leaflets piling through the door .

Summer

(June) July (August) (September) - Summer can get quite intense tbf Strong rays, 16c - 30c - nature in full steam . Wasps ,Slugs, squarking gulls ,lawnmowers,drills .BBQs . Nights warming up by late June .
Still too cold at Felixstowe beach though Thunder , nice volume of rain .

Autumn

(August September ) October - Autumn is possibly just the one month in it's true definition (colourful leaves) - nights drawing in , nice sunsets, warmish nights to begin ... lovely feel about the place - esp in the countryside - wildlife on the move , birds storing food ... fave time of year ,but leaves not in color for long enough (envy those in New England about now) ... Gales - Hurricane Geoff/Bradley/Sheila will knock the garden about . noticeably more rain late on as you head towards Nov .

November - see winter !!! November is the devil's work
I think the important point is that by definition a season has little to do with how it feels, although summer should definitely be warmer than winter, there is no real definition of how much warmer.

I'd certainly consider August as summer, because it often contains our hottest days. Whereas November is definitely autumn since that's when the most of the leaf shedding process takes place, which in my view is the major thing which defines autumn as a season. With trees budding being the most prominent feature of spring.

I think our winter does at least stretch into the first half of March however. I'd also consider the first half of September to be summer. In fact some of my favorite conditions occur in early September.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I regard my summers as cool as well - I'm a horticulturalist by profession, so cool is a term I use freely, as it puts summers into a relative scale against other summers.

Your summers are about 3C cooler than the warmest NZ summers, and about 3C warmer than the coolest NZ summers, so you are about typical for a NZ summer.

Your maximums are a little cooler than my summer maximums, and the minimums a little warmer. First month of autumn shows a 2C drop, and the last month of spring is 2.7C cooler -not sure why you have warmer summer minimums -shorter nights,or more cloud possibly?
you might have the wrong data - you have it the wrong way round .

My max temps are higher but nights are colder v Nelson - you have much warmer nights than other NZ locations i think .

Which location is 3c warmer ? as most north island locations look similar - i was going more by averages than individual locations Joe - which i think is fair.

Did you move to your current location for professional purposes as it looks a good climate for horticulture ?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Hottest average high I've seen in NZ is about 25.5C. Roughly similar to Paris, although the higher sunshine would make it rather pleasant.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
you might have the wrong data - you have it the wrong way round .

My max temps are higher but nights are colder v Nelson - you have much warmer nights than other NZ locations i think .

Which location is 3c warmer ? as most north island locations look similar - i was going more by averages than individual locations Joe - which i think is fair.

Did you move to your current location for professional purposes as it looks a good climate for horticulture ?
I'm from Motueka, which is around 50 km from Nelson. It has cooler minimums and warmer maximums than Nelson in all months. Nelson's station is within spitting distance of the sea, so that impacts on the averages, whereas Motueka's station is inland a bit further. Nelson doesn't have particularly warm summer nights, even Wellington is warmer

If you're not going by individual locations, then you can't just use Ipswich.

No, I'm from Motueka, but only work in horticulture a little these days, although I do grow crops for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather