Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 01:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I may ask the same about your anecdotes, why do you use them so frequently whenever similar summer climates in NZ and the UK are compared? The way you apply them seems to be an attempt to try to suggest that a NZ's summers are hotter than they actually are.

I may be wrong, but you always seem to be engaging in subtle one-upmanship when comparing NZ's climate to other locations.
I'm still not sure what your point is.

How so for subtle one -upmanship?

I don't think I need to compete with the UK, some locations in the South are okay, but generally they're just NW european climates to me, and it doesn't really matter how nice Belgium or Norwich is during summer, it's the worst six months that rate climates for me.

I mention anecdotes because they are so common and consistent. NZ is a bit hotter as a whole, but that's not the issue for me -it's more a matter of does what people say translate into anything tangible, and do the advantages plants enjoy, cross over into peoples's perceptions. My thoughts are that because people often do say what they say , then there might be something to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Bear in mind one thing Joseph !

when you speak to Brits over there they are outdoors enjoying your fine scenery ...as i would. !!! and in good weather these folk can feel the heat of the sun .

Here they have a tendency to lock themselves away in offices and dark rooms with curtains drawn . They only feel the sun at 8am or 6 pm .

Some are actually SCARED of the sun . It could KILL them !!

I've been to the beach on hot days near here - yes 26c is hot at a coastal location ...and it was empty !!!!

So when a UK tourist gets some sun on his skin on a warm day in NZ , he will feel ermm.... warm i guess ..... quelle surprise.

The 'too warm to cool down' tickled me the most though that was comedy gold
Sunshine intensity is the only feasible explanation. The actual feel of the temperatures being bumped up by intense sunlight. Although some of the world's most dangerous UV levels boosting the temperatures by a few degrees seems like a very bad trade-off.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Not sure where your numbers are from? Here are the Wikipedia numbers for annual max temp:

Rome: 20.4°C
Nelson (aka Motueka): 17.4°C (3.0°C below Rome)
Ipswich: 14.7°C (2.7°C below Nelson)

However, as you've said, the difference between Motueka and Rome is almost entirely due to Rome being much hotter in summer. This difference is important because it renders the "feel" of Rome much different from the other two. All three places are have variations of cool in winter but only one has a hot summer.

We've been down this road before. I can't really improve upon what nei said here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post43485158
Motueka's average maximum is 18.4C - It's temperatures. stats follow Blenheim much more than Nelson.

Does your opinion on the winter being similar in Rome, Ipswich and here being similar, mean that the winter feels the same in all of them? I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one -if there is one thing that Brits here really go on about, it's the differences between winters.

I don't think anything was proved in that thread. Classification only describes climates by cause, and through wide parameters. It doesn't "deal with feel'

Last edited by Joe90; 06-10-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Motueka's average maximum is 18.4C - It's temperatures. stats follow Blenheim much more than Nelson.

Does your opinion on the winter being similar in Rome, Ipswich and here being similar, mean that the winter feels the same in all of them? I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one -if there is one thing that Brits here really go on about, it's the differences between winters.
before ,it was the intense heat of the sun

then the water was too hot to cool down in

now it's the winters that feel a lot warmer

ffs

Old 06-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Sunshine intensity is the only feasible explanation. The actual feel of the temperatures being bumped up by intense sunlight. Although some of the world's most dangerous UV levels boosting the temperatures by a few degrees seems like a very bad trade-off.
agreed -but UVA when it's high here doesn't feel warmer as such ,just that the skin burns quickly - at least i think so anyway .

Trouble is ,i don't know anyone in Christchurch or Puntas Arena to ask .

My folks live in NSW Kyogle - they say it is really cold at night this time of year and are all kitted out in fleeces in the evening - no mention of the daytime sun intensity - i will ask

Old 06-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
before ,it was the intense heat of the sun

then the water was too hot to cool down in

now it's the winters that feel a lot warmer

ffs
You should clarify this to avoid confusion.

Sun strength gets plenty of comments, and not just from Brits.

A Norfolkian, not me, said that the sea water feel to warm to cool off in, although water temperature does often get a mention.

Winters feeling warmer is the standard Brit comment -very common. Do you also believe that your winters are just like Rome's?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
agreed -but UVA when it's high here doesn't feel warmer as such ,just that the skin burns quickly - at least i think so anyway .

Trouble is ,i don't know anyone in Christchurch or Puntas Arena to ask .

My folks live in NSW Kyogle - they say it is really cold at night this time of year and are all kitted out in fleeces in the evening - no mention of the daytime sun intensity - i will ask

This chap here thought there might be some difference with the sun. It's the sort of thing one hears Brits say.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/austr...w-zealand.html

Old 06-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Rome is 3.5 degrees warmer in the winter ,it is also less gloomy , but also has a bit more rain .

Both would feel like winter to me but Rome would feel like very late winter /early spring switchover - i frequently comment how i think Nov and March can feel like a winter (or a spring month )

Rome is pretty much like that all winter .

Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
This chap here thought there might be some difference with the sun. It's the sort of thing one hears Brits say.
Paddy isn't from the UK ,he's Irish

probably never seen the sun before

Serious note ---- I think one or two posters are saying how dangerous the sun is - same as Tasmania - and they ARE on to something .

That ozone hole

The sun there is a danger and if i lived there I would take adequate precautions - here i can lay out and not burn to a crisp .

Today i laid out - clear blue skies ,lovely and warm - no redness and i never use creams . I don't think i could do that in NZ Joe . It would not be a good idea . Protection is the key out there .

Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
Quote:
He's Irish, and I've heard Irish people say that about the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather