Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
NZ temp no warmer anywhere else like for like . No scientific reason for it to feel warmer - I don't think the higher UV would make a difference to how warm it felt . Sounds like nonsense .

If it were true then it would be the same in Australia
It may be true though. I have experienced similar temperatures in two different places that feel very different. Temperature is not the only important factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
yes correct Botev, different times of the year that is true (suns strength and other factors ) - but we were comparing like for like pretty much - so not sure what he meant really

Old 06-11-2017, 12:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
yes correct Botev, different times of the year that is true (suns strength and other factors ) - but we were comparing like for like pretty much - so not sure what he meant really
There's that language barrier - no one can understand anything anyone is saying. I suspect those people were all actually saying, it feels exactly the same.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:53 PM

nice selection Joe - do the citrus fruits ripen every time ? no citrus here - only London in some gardens

Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
nice selection Joe - do the citrus fruits ripen every time ? no citrus here - only London in some gardens
Yep , no problems with citrus apart from rats and possums. Citrus generally have low heat requirements, and only need cool summers for a good crop.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:03 PM

excellent stuff - wish i could grow that lot . Too cold winters in my garden for Citrus - frost guaranteed every year (every week at some point in the winter )

Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
excellent stuff - wish i could grow that lot . Too cold winters in my garden for Citrus - frost guaranteed every year (every week at some point in the winter )
Plenty of frost here, with an average of 39 freezing nights a year, and an average low around -4.5C

The issue there will be that the temperature is too cool for too long -if you do get frost damage, it will be too long before regrowth.

You probably get temperatures below - 5C most years there as well, I would think. At -5C here there will usually be a bit of frost burn.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:31 PM

-5 is guaranteed at some point - maybe 4 or 5 times a year .

I see what you're saying about recovery temperatures - they will stay too low here during the day .

London gets away with it due to it's absense of severe frost i believe - pretty much stays above freezing most of the time with occasional sharp ones .

B87 is the man to ask there - i've never lived in London - but they do grow there .

I always used to think you needed hot summers to ripen citrus - must be different strains now - new easy ripening buggers

Old 06-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
-5 is guaranteed at some point - maybe 4 or 5 times a year .

I see what you're saying about recovery temperatures - they will stay too low here during the day .

London gets away with it due to it's absense of severe frost i believe - pretty much stays above freezing most of the time with occasional sharp ones .

B87 is the man to ask there - i've never lived in London - but they do grow there .

I always used to think you needed hot summers to ripen citrus - must be different strains now - new easy ripening buggers
No, citrus has been grown in NZ since European settlement, so they don't need hot temperatures. I don't think new strains are easy ripening, but quick to produce -a five dollar mandarin will give around 20 fruit in the first year.

Citrus like true grapefruit, do need hot summers to get full flavour though.

I think citrus grows in the UK, the way pineapple does here -with looks of care and attention, and in just the right spot.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-11-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 PM

so citrus should go freely in south west England coastal locations or south coast maybe ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather