Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
How can Australia be a subtropical paradise when 70% of the Australian mainland is classified as semi-arid, arid or desert; making it the driest inhabited continent on Earth. Only Antarctica is drier? I guess you can have a dry climate and be "subtropical"....

Just look at your first map and how rediculous it is to compare Cf in Australia with Cf in the Southeast.

The only part of that Cf in the US comparble with the one in Australia is Central FL. The rest just gets far too cold with extreme winter min temps. Maybe classification wise they are, but when you go there it doesn't look as subtropical outside thin slivers on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRk AnToNy View Post
Exactly, the logic is ridiculous, and yet you people try to use it to illustrate something that only the South US is supposedly prone to (that people in the region don't know which winter will kill their plants).

No one in any subtropical climate knows what winter will have in store for them; they have no clue which year will finally bring cold that beats the records.

Your use of upper and lower case in your screen name smacks of the "cold epoch" poster. Hmmm.

People in most subtropical climates of the world do not have the winter gardening fear people in the southeast do. All you need do is go on the gardening forums in winter and see posts from people in the South. These last two years have made quite a few even give up. What does that tell you?

Jacaranda are not long term hardy in NOLA. Yet people there plant them and hope for the best. Then each winter they worry they may have a dead tree to remove. Jacaranda will never die from cold in Sydney. Doesn't happen.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Just look at your first map and how rediculous it is to compare Cf in Australia with Cf in the Southeast.

The only part of that Cf in the US comparble with the one in Australia is Central FL.
I wasn't aware that Sydney got 25C dewpoints regularly and daily thunderstorms all summer.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
^^ Or a record low in the teens during winter either.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^^ Or a record low in the teens during winter either.

Exactly. When you see Queen palms in far southern and inland Australia that says something about the climate. In the Southeast US it would be comparable to Raleigh NC having Queen Palms. That is how different they are.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,825 times
Has anyone ever thought that maybe the Southeast U.S. is a subtropical classification and the thin slivers of south Florida, Australia and southeast China are tropical, since they indeed all have a "tropical look", even during the winter time, rarely go below freezing and can reliably support tropical looking palms except for sabals? Because if the south/southeastern United States isn't a continental temperate climate and it's not subtropical, then what is it? What would everyone classify it as?

Because by a few peoples definition on here, the southeast does not meet subtropical standards, which I respect and find interesting... But what would you all classify it as? I mean, what about a newly made up classification label such as, a subtrontinental climate? Lol

Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM

I would honestly draw a line around the 32-33 N mark. Along the I-20 corridor from Dallas east through Louisiana and then through Jackson, MS and Montgomery, AL and then Macon, GA to about Myrtle Beach, SC on the coast. Anywhere north of this line I would consider warm temperate (cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Little Rock, etc) and south is Sub-tropical (places like Savannah, Tallahassee, etc). It's hard to talk about the Southeastern US and classify it in one climate because it's such a vast region. Kentucky has 0 in common with FL in terms of climate, for example.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I would honestly draw a line around the 32-33 N mark. Along the I-20 corridor from Dallas east through Louisiana and then through Jackson, MS and Montgomery, AL and then Macon, GA to about Myrtle Beach, SC on the coast. Anywhere north of this line I would consider warm temperate (cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Little Rock, etc) and south is Sub-tropical (places like Savannah, Tallahassee, etc). It's hard to talk about the Southeastern US and classify it in one climate because it's such a vast region. Kentucky has 0 in common with FL in terms of climate, for example.
I would agree with this.. even Atlanta has cold winters and does not deserve the title subtropical

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I would agree with this.. even Atlanta has cold winters and does not deserve the title subtropical
Exactly. Maybe Downtown ATL with the UHI might be subtropical, but surrounding suburban/rural areas have average lows below freezing.

And Nashville is definitely not subtropical.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Exactly. When you see Queen palms in far southern and inland Australia that says something about the climate. In the Southeast US it would be comparable to Raleigh NC having Queen Palms. That is how different they are.
In Australia, this would be comparable to 25C dewpoints in Tasmania.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather