Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
A winter in the L.A. neighborhood of your choice without central heating 28 33.33%
A winter in the Miami neighborhood of your choice without central heating 56 66.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
And as Ed's Mountain said, those are suspect and not true at all. Heck, even look at VisitCalifornia's page on weather:California Weather - Discover California's Wonderful Weather Destinations on VisitCalifornia.com - Visit California

Los Angeles

The arid climate in Los Angeles promises lots of sun and little humidity throughout the year. Average high temps run from the high 60s°F(15.6°C) in winter months to the low 80s°F (26.7°C) in summer. Rainstorms come through from November to March, dropping roughly 2-4 inches per month.
Oh snap, I'm sorry, discover ca is a much better meteorological source than TWC or NOAA.

ARID, please, you are a joke, posting an unreliable source saying LA has an arid climate then acting like you and discover ca are experts over official sources, just stop.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Region from downtown LA east to Norwalk south in bellflower and south gate and north into la puente all average 71 F highs in winter, check TWC if you don't beleive me.
Downtown LA doesn't. Average high is 67°F.

LOS ANGELES CIVIC CENTE, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

This is a bit closer, but most (such as Pasadena and Azusa) are a bit cooler.

SAN GABRIEL FIRE DEPT, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Commerce and Vernon do (90040). And Downtown LA is a whole different enviornment than usc. You can feel the difference.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I was born in Venice, CA. We definitely turned on the heat in the winters. I know this because I remember us kids drying wet shoes off by sitting them on top of the heaters. I also remember burning my feet on my grandmother's heater, which for some reason had the grate placed into the middle of the floor of a hallway.

What I remember most were the summers, where it could get 100˚ F or so during the day and then 65˚ F during the evening. I remember running around during the day in shorts, sweating like a mofo, only to put on a sweater later on because I was freezing. I mean, that is a near 40˚ F drop in temperature over the course of a few hours, which is significant. All summer long.

Whether one feels hot or cold is relative to where they live and what they are used to. Now when I go back home I get a chuckle out of seeing the many people bundled up in parkas, mittens, scarves, and beanies...and it is only 55˚ F outside

I remember from living in Minnesota that when it got to the tail end of winter and days were warming up to 35/40˚ F and how HOT that would feel. You would see many walking around outside in t-shirts or lite sweaters.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Who the hell puts on the heat for the 40s? I wouldn't use heat until low 30s and 20s. Waste of energy.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:13 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
This is a tough decision, but I would go with LA. I was in Santa Monica on Thanksgiving and it was pretty perfect. I did spend a lot of February vacations in Sanibel Island, so I do appreciate Southern Florida.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Who the hell puts on the heat for the 40s? I wouldn't use heat until low 30s and 20s. Waste of energy.
Still trying to fight turning on the heat in NorCal (San Jose) and it's 12/13/14. This is my first California winter btw.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:33 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'd never want to see Miami.....
regardless of what season it is lol
I want classy intelligent people around me
So between those 2 choices I'll take L.A.
Yes...because there are no classy and smart people in Miami, but everyone in LA is classy and intelligent...:roll eyes:

The fact is that there are dumb fakes in every city, and there are smart and classy people in every city. But it's your loss if you never want to see Miami.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Oh snap, I'm sorry, discover ca is a much better meteorological source than TWC or NOAA.

ARID, please, you are a joke, posting an unreliable source saying LA has an arid climate then acting like you and discover ca are experts over official sources, just stop.
I'm the joke? LOL you're the laughing stock of this entire forum! So much so that everyone posts about you before you even post on their weather threads!

We all KNOW that you're delusional and lying about LA's climate. You keep trying to pretend that it has the same climate as Tampa or Orlando in winter, when it's clearly a few degrees cooler. And the data you post is questionable, with several other sources countering it and arguing against it.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:37 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
e
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I was born in Venice, CA. We definitely turned on the heat in the winters. I know this because I remember us kids drying wet shoes off by sitting them on top of the heaters. I also remember burning my feet on my grandmother's heater, which for some reason had the grate placed into the middle of the floor of a hallway.

What I remember most were the summers, where it could get 100˚ F or so during the day and then 65˚ F during the evening. I remember running around during the day in shorts, sweating like a mofo, only to put on a sweater later on because I was freezing. I mean, that is a near 40˚ F drop in temperature over the course of a few hours, which is significant. All summer long.

Whether one feels hot or cold is relative to where they live and what they are used to. Now when I go back home I get a chuckle out of seeing the many people bundled up in parkas, mittens, scarves, and beanies...and it is only 55˚ F outside

I remember from living in Minnesota that when it got to the tail end of winter and days were warming up to 35/40˚ F and how HOT that would feel. You would see many walking around outside in t-shirts or lite sweaters.
Minnesota winters are my worse nightmare but I actually prefer their summers to ours. I like warm rain and thunderstorms in summer and L.A's summers are way too dry. Last summer, we got a couple of warm thundershowers from the desert monsoon and I only wish we could get those a couple of times every week all summer rather than just once every 3-5 years.

I love our Orange County winters with highs in the mid to upper 60s. I admit to being a wimp and turning on the heater at night and on those overcast rainy days where it stays in the 50s or low 60s all day. I won't wear a parka, mittens, or scarf when it's 55 out but I will wear a jacket and if it's raining, I wear a sweatshirt and a raincoat over it. I would never relocate to a cold winter climate but I have considered Florida for the lower COL, lack of state tax, and the warm rain and thunderstorms in summer with sunny, pleasant winters.

I find it very amusing that you know find 35/40 F warm? Is it sunny and calm with no winds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.