Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Hobart
London 30 58.82%
Hobart 21 41.18%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
Hobart. It has more chance of hot, sunny days compared to London.
Agree.

Hobart is no bargain...but any thing is better than sun challenged London. The climate of London is just dismal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magg40 View Post
Agree.

Hobart is no bargain...but any thing is better than sun challenged London. The climate of London is just dismal.

Why do people call the climate of London "dismal" but you never hear this, or rarely hear it said about Paris or Berlin. The sun hours are basically the same in all three places. I've been to London, and "dismal" isn't a word that comes to mind to describe the climate.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why do people call the climate of London "dismal" but you never hear this, or rarely hear it said about Paris or Berlin. The sun hours are basically the same in all three places. I've been to London, and "dismal" isn't a word that comes to mind to describe the climate.
How would you describe it then? Dull? Boring?... Sunny?!
I go with Dull or Boring... Would rather live in sunny Portsmouth

But you do have a valid point, Paris and Berlin are just as dull and wet as London is - maybe just a little warmer in summer and colder in winter...

Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
How would you describe it then? Dull? Boring?... Sunny?!
I go with Dull or Boring... Would rather live in sunny Portsmouth

But you do have a valid point, Paris and Berlin are just as dull and wet as London is - maybe just a little warmer in summer and colder in winter...
Dull and boring would be a good way to describe it

Agree, sun hrs might the same - but London is even higher in latitude than both. I live in North Carolina near 35 latitude and I can't imagine what the winter sun angle would be like NORTH of Paris!!!!

That alone is enough to scare me off.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Agree, sun hrs might the same - but London is even higher in latitude than both. I live in North Carolina near 35 latitude and I can't imagine what the winter sun angle would be like NORTH of Paris!!!!

That alone is enough to scare me off.
Ow it's not that bad, in fact it's just lovely during Christmas with all the outdoor and indoor lights on... Though yes Jan is a bit of a drag - But it could be much worse, at least we get 8 hours of daylight this time of the year, look at some places in Canada, Scandinavia, and Russia - no sunshine at all there! Haha

Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,678,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Ow it's not that bad, in fact it's just lovely during Christmas with all the outdoor and indoor lights on... Though yes Jan is a bit of a drag - But it could be much worse, at least we get 8 hours of daylight this time of the year, look at some places in Canada, Scandinavia, and Russia - no sunshine at all there! Haha
Well, think about the people in Murmanks, more than 300,000 people without light in the winter

Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:

Agree, sun hrs might the same - but London is even higher in latitude than both.
Since when was London further north than Berlin?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Since when was London further north than Berlin?
Fair point - just looked it up: London is like 51' north, whereas Berlin is 52' north - Thought London was a more northerly latitude but I was fairly wrong...

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,152 times
Neither of them is summery, high temperatures below 23-24°C are not summery, as well as those night temperatures. Summer nights in Hobart are very cold.
I choose London since it is a little warmer.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,023,301 times
London
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather