Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cairns or Townsville
Cairns 11 45.83%
Townsville 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:09 AM

40 posts, read 45,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Two very similar climates - hot, humid and tropical. It was also very hard to tell their differences from their BOM pages (odd you didn't link Wiki?).
Wiki is often dodgy so decided to go with the BOM 1981-2010 so the comparison is standardised. Curiously the average annual high for both cities is exactly the same!

I'd pick Townsville myself, more sunshine, probably more thunderstorms and better chance at heatwaves than Cairns and the cooler winters would provide a bit of relief and variety while still being warm enough to grow coconut palms and other tropical species in all their glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Cairns for warmer winters, higher precipitation, better sunshine, and lower record highs in summer. Both are decent enough though.

Cairns B+
Townsville B-
Cairns is cloudier than Townsville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 AM

40 posts, read 45,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie87 View Post
Cairns is far superior in my opinion. I grew up there and it has way better scenery and far more excellent swimming spots due to the higher level of rainfall. It is still a very sunny place considering the level of rainfall. Also It doesn't get as cold in winter.

I also think the cairns airport site is a bit cooler than anywhere else in the cairns area. Even though all the long term averages are from there. Dewpoints are usually slightly higher in Cairns on average than in Townsville as well.

Current temps at time of this post
Cairns Airport - Temp: 31.8C Dew 25.9C
Cairns Racecourse - Temp: 34.8C Dew: 24.1C
Townsville - Temp: 32.8C Dew: 24.1C
The Townsville Airport site is also right on the coast, so it would be hotter inland. Areas like Bohle Plains, Douglas and Kelso probably average closer to the mid 30's in summer and likely exceed 40C every summer.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberHeat View Post
Wiki is often dodgy so decided to go with the BOM 1981-2010 so the comparison is standardised. Curiously the average annual high for both cities is exactly the same!

I'd pick Townsville myself, more sunshine, probably more thunderstorms and better chance at heatwaves than Cairns and the cooler winters would provide a bit of relief and variety while still being warm enough to grow coconut palms and other tropical species in all their glory.

Cairns is cloudier than Townsville
Yes, it is cloudier but still sunny enough.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:37 PM

284 posts, read 282,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberHeat View Post
The Townsville Airport site is also right on the coast, so it would be hotter inland. Areas like Bohle Plains, Douglas and Kelso probably average closer to the mid 30's in summer and likely exceed 40C every summer.
I was unsure about that, thanks for the heads up. Though I've been to Townsville I've never caught a plane there or noted the location of the airport.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 AM

680 posts, read 649,218 times
Both look pretty atrocious, I lived in Georgia and Mississippi in middle school and it's only been about seven-eight years so it's fresh on my mind. With that being said I played soccer and often worked outside in the summer and it was awful 100% of the time. These climates look way worse than even those... I'd hurl myself to the saltwater crocodiles if I had to choose between those two places. But Townsville though...

Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
I went on holiday to Cairns and Townsville about a year ago. The climate related aspect of the scenery is much better in Cairns than Townsville (rainforest covered hills and mountains behind the city rather than dryish savanna that I didn't find so interesting or attractive). Townsville isn't bad, but Cairns was a lot better in my opinion.

Having more cloud is preferable in that kind of climate I think as the sun can be uncomfortably bright around midday (dazzles the eyes). Even if it's partly cloudy it's still very bright and nothing like overcast weather in northern Europe.

If wasnt for the occasional cyclone, I'd rate it A+.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:14 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
Townsville for cooler winter nights. Both are too hot for me overall, and Townsville is too dry while Cairns is on the wet side.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Cairns for the higher rainfall and lower sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather