Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
^^ Why? Not enough vertical development to the clouds?

I often pass by these trees, thought I'd snap a couple pics before the flowers are gone:

Btw, much more snow in coastal Connecticut than in Manitoba well into March. Must not be that common.

Very nice. I see the red tile roofs so is that the Med somewhere?

I think they might be what is called around here "saucer magnolia" tree. Pretty common around here.

http://www.hardyplant.org/assets/doc...warevalley.pdf

Interestingly enough, Europe has no native magnolia trees. The saucer magnolia comes from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I know those Magnolia Trees, have a few near me, I forget when they bloom here (gotta be late April/May?) Crazy to see them in early March like that. Gees.

Don't think it is that unusual depending on the weather. Not sure about your area but here they are usually a late March bloomer. If it is a very cold winter/spring like last year they bloom in early/mid April.

Here is one blooming in Toronto on April 14th:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lu_/4521643945/

If it blooms in Toronto in mid April, I would think your area is early April even late March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times
Quote:
I know those Magnolia Trees, have a few near me, I forget when they bloom here (gotta be late April/May?) Crazy to see them in early March like that. Gees.
In Rimini these magnolias are starting to bloom right now too

Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:

It's Rare and Historic for the area. Nobody has ever witnessed this. Just posted a stat in this thread

I drove around for an hour today and it was surreal for this time of year to keep seeing a white landscape everywhere

Couple from today in my backyard....
Notice the roof in the back... still with snow on them.

Whoa that's a lot of snow. The snowpack here has faded dramatically, I'd say about 30-35% of the ground is bare at the moment.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:34 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
In Rimini these magnolias are starting to bloom right now too
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't think it is that unusual depending on the weather. Not sure about your area but here they are usually a late March bloomer. If it is a very cold winter/spring like last year they bloom in early/mid April.

If it blooms in Toronto in mid April, I would think your area is early April even late March.
April I've seen them bloomed, definitely not March. Budding yes, not blooming. Not even in the warm anomaly years. Interesting about Toronto. Wonder if its a City vs Suburb thing.

Here's a shot I just took of the tree. Looks like it wants to bud but no where near blooming time. Wish I can find a picture of it fully bloomed. Pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Whoa that's a lot of snow. The snowpack here has faded dramatically, I'd say about 30-35% of the ground is bare at the moment.
Between rain yesterday, fog last night, and near 60 today snowpack has been crippled but not out. lol

under 10" now! WOW it feels like forever. First time under 10" in over a month.
Lost 2.5" in last 9 hrs today. Lost a foot in last 5 days

Banana & Grapefruit Plant ready for Spring

Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM

I'll have better comparisons and even a time lapse eventually.

As the sun sets today,I figure I put together the last 4 days at the same time.(6pm)

North Facing roof snow almost all gone now.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Couple from today in my backyard....
Notice the roof in the back... still with snow on them.
It's cool to see a decent snowpack so late in the season. I like the combination of melting snow and the already strong sun, especially accompanied with mild temperatures and bird songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
nice flowers but surprised that there aren't buds on the trees given how mild it is there.
I've seen a couple shrubs and small trees beginning ot leaf out, but the bigger ones are still bare. Most of the vegetation is evergreen though, so it doesn't matter as much as in cooler places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I didn't think the skies would be so blue there. The cloud looks more like sea breeze cloud, rather than the convective cloud I would have expected. Grass that green could only be early spring.

Nice European fan palms. I've never seen a single one in my region. Deciduous magnolia is a beautiful tree when in flower. Very much a sign of late winter.
I didn't know that it was magnolia, I thought it was only the American evergreen species. Agreed about European fan palms, they make pretty groves. And no frond decay whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Very nice. I see the red tile roofs so is that the Med somewhere?
Yup it's a couple kilometers from where I live near Nice.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Europe has no native magnolia trees. The saucer magnolia comes from China.
Sounds like Europe doesn't have a wide selection of native flora and fauna. I'm glad we imported those plants, along with tomato and potato.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:

I've seen a couple shrubs and small trees beginning ot leaf out, but the bigger ones are still bare. Most of the vegetation is evergreen though, so it doesn't matter as much as in cooler places.
I noticed the same thing with places that have lots of broadleaf evergreens. The place just looks so green that the few deciduous trees just don't mean that much. The overall look is like summer around here. I still think people have deciduous trees around cause of the big burst of color that they throw out every spring.

This is what I mean where you hardly notice the deciduous trees. Took these Feb 20th 2015 on my recent trip to AL and north FL :

Quote:

I didn't know that it was magnolia, I thought it was only the American evergreen species. Agreed about European fan palms, they make pretty groves. And no frond decay whatsoever.

There are quite a few magnolia species out there around the world. The US only has 8 native.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 AM

Golf anyone? Sun angle, 40s, 50s, rain, and fog, there is still a ton of snow around.

Just took this near me in New Canaan, CT 41.18N

Mid March. Just NUTS to see this. When I was walking on top of the snow I thought I'd just take a few shots of the golf course and leave .... then I sunk in and I was baffled. I DID NOT think it would be that deep in open sun like that. So I started digging to take this shot. WOW!

Edit:
Google Earth Map of the area, this is the parking lot I parked in.

Last edited by Cambium; 03-12-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Decided to go back and use my regular camera. Good timing. Skiing on a Golf course in mid March? LOL!

I guess instead of repairing the divots in grass, we need to groom the snow

Chatted a bit with the nice guy Skiing. He said he was playing golf by this time of year couple yrs ago. He didn't last long with the Skiis because snow was too soft and deep he was sinking in spots.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Not chilly at all. It was 80F and humid that day.
80F is rather nice, but it still looks chilly.

The skies in the other photos don't look tropical either, much like a rainy winter day here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather