Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newcastle or Charleston?
Newcastle 16 57.14%
Charleston 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Both at similar latitudes on the east coast of each continent, both warm temperate/humid sub-tropical (depending on your classification). You can find more detail at the BOM and NOAA sites, but in general Charleston is cooler in winter (cold enough to get snow sometimes) and noticeably hotter in summer than Newcastle. Both places are humid in summer, but Charleston would feel less comfortable for sure. Newcastle is a fair bit sunnier in winter but cloudier in summer than Charleston. Overall, Newie gets about 2500-2600 hours a year vs 2800 hours in Charleston. I believe Charleston is calmer in general and also gets more thunderstorms than Newcastle. Rainfall is similar in both (about 1150mm a year), although Charleston has a slightly warm season maximum and Newie, oddly enough, a slightly winter maximum. Either place can get heavy downpours. Newcastle hasn't reported a tropical cyclone in the last 40 years, while hurricanes are fairly common in the South Atlantic coast.

Newcastle

World Climate: S32E151 - Weather history for travel real estate and education

Charleston

World Climate: N32W079 - Weather history for travel real estate and education

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Newcastle is an easy winner for me. The cold Charleston can get at times would would be too limiting for the type of plants I like to grow. I would like Charleston winters, but would prefer Newcastle summers.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Newcastle. Charleston is too hot and humid in the summer, especially with the monsoon. Although, on the other hand Charleston has something resembling a winter and is thus somewhat more interesting.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Of course no bias, but Newcastle due to more consistent temps, even if yearly average temps are very similar.
Summer temps, especially minimums, are too high for me in Charleston - had to watch the spelling here as one of the principal suburbs with a very large shopping centre in Newcastle is actually ""Charlestown"".
The temp at Nobbys Head is on an exposed headland with 360 degree ocean frontage (cuts out many very hot temperatures that skew the mean), a more accurate description is at Newcastle University for suburban Newcastle, which is very similar to the Williamtown RAAF Airport - which is where forecasts originate:

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Of course no bias, but Newcastle due to more consistent temps, even if yearly average temps are very similar.
Summer temps, especially minimums, are too high for me in Charleston - had to watch the spelling here as one of the principal suburbs with a very large shopping centre in Newcastle is actually ""Charlestown"".
The temp at Nobbys Head is on an exposed headland with 360 degree ocean frontage (cuts out many very hot temperatures that skew the mean), a more accurate description is at Newcastle University for suburban Newcastle, which is very similar to the Williamtown RAAF Airport - which is where forecasts originate:

Climate statistics for Australian locations
Yeah Nobby's head is a very oceanic climate, hence the small summer diurnal range of 19-25C. Most residents of Newcastle would no doubt experience hotter daytime highs and colder nights than Nobby's Head.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Summer is amazing in Charleston, SC.
I've been there many times and for me the heat was never too much.
I love summer evenings with the air warm enough,
going for a walk in a t-shirt and shorts you feel you're still wrapped in blankets.

Newcastle has the better winters, but that's mostly about temperature stability.
If you cut the intensity of Charleston's worst Arctic blasts, their winter averages might be the same.
Charleston "always" sees winter days with highs in the 40's F (4-9 C) every winter.

I'd rather see zero days below 60 F (16 C) a year,
and Newcastle would see far less chilly days.

Newcastle's climate is a bit bland by comparison.
There's nothing bland about Charleston SC's climate though. (unless you hate sunshine )

Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Newcastle is warm enough.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Newcastle by a mile. Charleston has arctic cold snaps and Newcastle doesn't even if Charleston's summers are warmer than Newcastle's. I really love consistent climates and Charleston's winters are anything but consistent. The proof is in the numbers.

Number of average frost days per year in Newcastle: 0
Number of average frost days per year in Charleston: 33
Newcastle's record low: 1.8C (at Nobby's Head)
Charleston's record low: -14C

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
. I really love consistent climates and Charleston's winters are anything but consistent. The proof is in the numbers.

Number of average frost days per year in Newcastle: 0
Number of average frost days per year in Charleston: 33
Newcastle's record low: 1.8C (at Nobby's Head)
Charleston's record low: -14C
Yes, but Charleston is more consistent in summer.

Charleston Summer: (Jun-Aug)

A day of 75 F (24 C) is probably IMPOSSIBLE in Charleston.
A day below 80 F (27 C) is exceptionally-rare.
A night below 65 F (18 C) is also exceptionally-rare.
A night below 70 F (21 C) is uncommon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Charleston beats Newcastle for number of days above 90 F (32 C)

Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 AM

Charleston for me beats Newcastle because of annual sunshine totals.
Otherwise Charleston's stellar summers and equally balanced by highly-variable winters.

As a gardener,
Newcastle might be a little more interesting
but Charleston is still a great climate for year-round gardening.

Both are good places and it would be a little tough, picking on climate alone.

Lifestyle and culture?
I find Charleston's pace, dialects and "Old World" charm intruiging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather