Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:57 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,911 times

Advertisements

I came to Buxton first in 2003, that good summer, and then subsequent summers were pretty decent. I was at uni from 2006-2009 and that's around the time when summers began to deteriorate to the typical rubbish that seems to have taken over since.

Therefore in my first few years in Buxton I had no idea just how cold the summers really are on average until I saw the averages from the met office. I couldn't believe the average high for June for example was only 17 and 19 for July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:27 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I've always been interested in the passing of seasons because I'm kind of an outdoor person, my parents always took me out when I was a kid and I continued. I'm also a nerd about music and also about calendars. I also love maps and cartography.

I guess I'm obsessed with the passing of time and I generally associate a year with what the weather was at the time, at which point I was in my life, the music I was into then and where I traveled.

Also, growing up in a variable climate which has features of continental, subtropical, oceanic and mediterranean influences, I'm used to checking the weather pretty much all the time and my memories have been associated with most kinds of weather a temperate climate can bring (snow, rain, sun, wind, fog)

I started studying it a bit more when i started studying because I was in geography and I had bought a book about it. This is how I found out about the various types of climates besides the usual temperate / polar / desert / jungle / etc subdivisions. Also, at the time I started checking the weather in various locations in the world, and spending a year studying in Toronto was also a result of me being very interested in winter and snow and living in a climate which was not reliable reguarding snow. I was a kid in the 1980s and I have many memories of snowy winters, and in the 1990s most of our winters have been almost snow-free. I wanted to reconnect with my childhood maybe ?

I'm not sure I gave the right answer to this thread but here we go.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 11,447 times
Living in a subarctic climate, I only came to realise the fail whale derp of a climate this is once I saw the statistics.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM

607 posts, read 649,156 times
Since I've been studying worldwide weather (last 10-15 years) I've come to realise just how little sunshine the UK gets by world standards. At school we are taught "Britain is warm because of the Gulf Stream" blah blah blah, not in summer it isn't- places further north in Scandinavia, Russia etc have warmer summers than we do. And realising that places like Stockholm average well over 200 hours sun in June and July while most of the UK doesn't was the nail in the coffin.

When I was at university in Newcastle I knew lots of foreign students, and their comments about the weather gave me an insight too, some of them surprised me. The guy from Saskatchewan said we don't know what cold means, but he noticed how dark it was in the winter. The Iranian woman surprised me when she said "Yes, we get snow in Tehran, all the time". The Spaniards (there were lots of them) "We love the city but not the weather". But the one who never ever complained was the Chinese housemate I had one year, who came from Chongqing. Now I know why, the first thing he did on arriving was probably point at the sun and say "What's that?".

Old 06-23-2015, 06:51 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Don't be, as a kid I thought that rainy areas were wet because they had a lot of lakes for evaporation. And that dry areas didn't have any lakes for the clouds to get any water from.
As a kid I was wondering why when we get milky sunny skies (i called that "white sun") feels more uncomfortably hot than clear skies / yellow/orange sun, in the same temperature/sun angle
Turns out that was the humidity that makes me uncomfortable...

Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I thought our (Mid-Atlantic USA) winters were among the coldest on Earth outside of the poles, I know that isn't remotely the case now, but it's funny. And I thought all climates had a hot summer, definitely not true.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I've become much more interested in variable weather and my climatic preferences have tended more and more continental.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Preferences changed as well, more cool-liking compared to 5 years before

Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Beginning to hate cold and heat as much as each other.

I used to love heat and didn't mind the cold before. Recently, I was in favour of the cold.

Now I really can't stand both.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM

104 posts, read 110,595 times
I used to have pretty much no idea when the seasons were, except that summer was around the end/beginning of a year, but winter was around the middle (New Zealand). I couldn't tell you which order spring and autumn were, or what season April was. I also thought that pretty much everywhere in New Zealand had basically the exact same climate, with any differences being day-to-day anomalies caused by rain, cloud or wind.

I guess that's what happens when you grow up staying inside a lot nearly all the time, and when day-to-day variations in your own climate can be larger than seasonal ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather