Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 04:05 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It was a very pretty drive from Brasstown Bald up to the Smokies - the first 2 shots were taken along the way:

This shot was taken from around 4000 feet.

That's my favorite of the bunch.
Very cool to see the Elks.
Interesting Weather sign in Georgia. Record Max 84. Record Low -27°F!

As I was scrolling I was like...Cool, Cool, Nice, that's cool.. Oh crap. Humans ruined it all. LOL. That is WAY more then I would like. Makes it feel more touristy then a relaxing "getaway" hike in the mountains. Sucks but nice it's available for everyone.

Question.. How come your comments are below the pictures? As we scroll we read the text first then see the pics so it's actually easier to have the comments on top. Just a friendly suggestion. lol

Thanks for posting these. You looked happy. I bet it felt great to get a break from the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 04:37 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's my favorite of the bunch.
Very cool to see the Elks.
Interesting Weather sign in Georgia. Record Max 84. Record Low -27°F!

As I was scrolling I was like...Cool, Cool, Nice, that's cool.. Oh crap. Humans ruined it all. LOL. That is WAY more then I would like. Makes it feel more touristy then a relaxing "getaway" hike in the mountains. Sucks but nice it's available for everyone.

Question.. How come your comments are below the pictures? As we scroll we read the text first then see the pics so it's actually easier to have the comments on top. Just a friendly suggestion. lol

Thanks for posting these. You looked happy. I bet it felt great to get a break from the heat.
I'll do that from now on - keeping the comments on top.

Yeah, Clingman's Dome is the place where all of America gets to visit - but it was okay, I didn't mind it too much. Everybody just seemed so happy anyways.

And yes, I was very happy myself - nothing beats going up into cool air in the middle of an atrociously hot summer.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Okay, here's my pics from my trip to the mountains:

First off, a very happy NorthStarDelight - on the highest point of Georgia, where the temp is a lovely 67 degrees. Yes, I'm loving it.

Taken from inside the museum at the summit visitor's center. We watched a video clip about the mountain as well, its 4 seasons, etc.

When we got to the top, it was completely socked in with clouds - the rangers suggested we hang around for a bit to see if it would break up a bit.

Pretty crappy visibility from the open roof of the visitor's center.

And then, like magic, the clouds began to part.

And we were treated to the view of the valleys a half mile below, from cloud level.

Much improved than just a few moments before.

The parking lot below. And yes, they provided a shuttle service to the summit from there. The cost was included in the $5 admission fee. Yes, us Americans are lazy.

This was the cool part. Standing where you couldn't see the trees, it wasn't hard to imagine you were flying on a magical airship, sailing through the clouds, a half mile above the ground. Pure awesomeness.

What the summit looks like from the parking lot below.

Gonna end this post here, since these are the Georgia pics. Next set will be in the Smokies.
Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. You don't look like how I pictured you.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:11 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. You don't look like how I pictured you.
Glad you liked.

What did you picture me as?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:20 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Glad you liked.

What did you picture me as?
Hard to describe, but shorter hair and a goatee was an image I had for whatever reason. You sort of a remind me of one of my uncles on my dad's side. Same hair, eyes, complexion, but different face.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Cloudy and miserable today

Made me think of snj90

Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, heat will do that, I thought they would be heat tolerant though. Maybe too much is not even good for them? Peppers LOVE heat. Ever consider shading the Tomatoes in mid Summer? Maybe not worth it. I always wondered where we get our tomatoes shipped from at the stores here. I always thought it was the south but maybe not. Watermelons are my favorite, too bad I cant grow those here. (CT farms do though & pumpkins)
There are tall pine trees that provide shade in the morning, but in the afternoon it gets full sun. There hasn't been much cloud cover over the past few weeks either.

I tried growing watermelons before but they never turn out that good. I think they do better in sandy soil.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:38 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
I'm back!

Storm approaching. Clouds pictured are over the ocean.

River

Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
What is this?
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Photo Thread 2015-image.jpg  

Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,871 times
I recently came back to Trondheim after a 2,000 km drive to Northern Norway, well north of the Arctic Circle. Hence the land which Americans label Arctic Norway. We typically reserve that for Svalbard and Jan Mayen.

This particular part of Norway has a climate I would label Oceanic Subarctic. It is a little to cold in winter to be Cfc (ca -5C in the coldest month), ca three months in summer make the 10C mean temperature limit, warmest month mean ca 13C.

The label oceanic is necessary, because if you read about subarctic climate, some of the most important descriptions actually does not fit this climate. These include the absence of permafrost (annual mean is ca 3 - 4C at low altitude), and the fact that the winter is not dry and very cold, but actually has a lot of precipitation, most of it snow. However, thaws with 2 - 7C temperatures, often with rain, can and do occur at any winter month, sometimes many /long lasting in winter.

The higher altitude is of course colder, both winter and summer, and permafrost can occur above the treeline.

Here are some images from a hike into the mountains of this very northern land. This was my second hike this day, started in the afternoon. Temperature ca 16C in the lower part, a few degrees colder higher up. Partly cloudy, gradually more sun. Very nice for hiking steep slopes.

First, starting in the closed boreal forest (100 m), along a dirt road:

Lots of wildflowers in this boreal forest:

The landscape leveled off along a valley (220 m) and the dirt road ended. Walked along this valley. Mountains visible

Walked along a river, and came to a small lake (250 m). Crossed the river near the lake on a pedestrian bridge, you can see the bridge in this image:

Walked up through the birch forest, gaining altitude quickly. Took a look back down. Could see the fjord and mountains across the fjord:

The mountain slope was to my right, very close and very steep. Many large boulders had fallen down where I walked (400 m), looked often up at the mountain slope and hoped to avoid getting one on my head. This one was ca 2 m high:

Further up (500 m), and the birch gave way to Alpine tundra. And the first snow appeared. Note the willow bushes down to the right, very common on the lower part of the tundra in Fennoscandia.

A tundra lake (520 m), the second lake. The mountain near the lake goes ca 300 m almost vertical up from the small lake.

Further on, higher mountains

The third lake (600 m). River coming down.

A closer look at this tundra waterfall.

Along the same lake, very close but on the opposite end of the lake, a Tolkienesque mountain...I know the name of this mountain in Norwegian, but you would never be able to pronounce it. the summit reaches up to 1,090 m asl / 3400 ft. It is larger than it might look in this image:

Higher...

Met several snow bridges, with streams of melting water under. They are inherently dangerous as they might collaps if you walk on them. Choose to cross over a couple of them, but further away from the opening.

Another small lake (ca 650 m), to the left, still ice-covered. The summit of the mountain is 1,140 m asl / 3600 ft. Vertical slope ca 500 m high. Behind this mountain is another one reaching 1,300 m / 4100 ft. My highest altitude was ca 700 m, total climb ca 800 m altitude.

It was getting late and I returned.
A typical look at the birches near the treeline:

Down to where I crossed the river. This was a beautiful spot with the late evening sun:

Total distance ca 14 km.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 07-25-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather