Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Or vegetables of his labor.

Oh god. You guys are so corny. Lol

If only he had harvested some corn I could have an even worse joke about that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:57 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No. The vegetation looks like the plants you would see in Spain.
Looks like a normal English landscape.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Nei - what's the biggest hill (or mountain) you've summitted on your bike? We saw a cyclist climbing up the access road to Clingman's Dome, and I wondered if he'd come up all the way from Gatlinburg, which is literally one vertical mile from the top of the Dome. All day to climb, a very fast trip back down.
Hurricane Ridge from Port Angeles, WA; almost exactly from sea level to a mile in the sky, Clingmans Dome from Gatlinburg is a bit less steep, Mt. Washington almost three times steeper . Not very steep, and I took it a slow pace with stops. Mt. Greylock from the north side feels a bit harder because steeper even though the elevation gain is about 2900 feet; also I've always done it as part a longer ride so I'm less fresh. I try to do Greylock every year — I've posted photos of that ride. There's a lodge at the top — don't need reservation if you just get a hostel bunk instead of a room; last two times I've stayed at the top overnight; neat experience. Doing it one day is a very tough ride, just eating enough to have energy to complete is difficult.

For Hurricane Ridge, I got to the top early afternoon, and then relaxed, looked out and did short hikes and rides from the top. Some photos:

Spoiler

side road to its end:

bag was to carry stuff for the day

on the ride down, the marine layer rolled in:

few cars — people went home

I saw a few other bicyclists, but they were going more for speed and not lingering the rest of the day.

Quote:
I bet you achieve some high speeds going back down, huh?
It was quick going down Hurricane Ridge — no peddling needed stayed near 30 mph most of the way. I've hit 46 mph on steeper grades before on a much shorter hill, 35-38 mph isn't hard on a steep hill.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:56 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Quote:
Hurricane Ridge from Port Angeles, WA; almost exactly from sea level to a mile in the sky, Clingmans Dome from Gatlinburg is a bit less steep, Mt. Washington almost three times steeper . Not very steep, and I took it a slow pace with stops. Mt. Greylock from the north side feels a bit harder because steeper even though the elevation gain is about 2900 feet; also I've always done it as part a longer ride so I'm less fresh. I try to do Greylock every year — I've posted photos of that ride. There's a lodge at the top — don't need reservation if you just get a hostel bunk instead of a room; last two times I've stayed at the top overnight; neat experience. Doing it one day is a very tough ride, just eating enough to have energy to complete is difficult.

For Hurricane Ridge, I got to the top early afternoon, and then relaxed, looked out and did short hikes and rides from the top. Some photos:

Spoiler

side road to its end:

bag was to carry stuff for the day

on the ride down, the marine layer rolled in:

few cars — people went home

I saw a few other bicyclists, but they were going more for speed and not lingering the rest of the day.

It was quick going down Hurricane Ridge — no peddling needed stayed near 30 mph most of the way. I've hit 46 mph on steeper grades before on a much shorter hill, 35-38 mph isn't hard on a steep hill.
Gotta say I'm impressed. I could certainly never do anything like that on a bike...lol. I've done the Virgina Creeper Trail though, where they take you up to the top and you just coast to the bottom...lol. (Yeah, I know. ) When I was a kid, I'd touch 40 mph on my speedometer I had on my 10-speed - dunno how accurate that was.

I'd love to visit Hurricane Ridge sometime - my best friend in high school (who hailed from Oregon) would talk about it all the time. Will certainly do Mt Greylock sometime - probably after I move to CNY, when I'm in need of shorter trips out from upstate New York.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:15 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You're tomatoes look great! Mine got hit with Blight and I lost the fight. So I assume 1 more good harvest and it's done. lol

Yeah the plants still look good but too bad their not producing much any more. Tomatoes also are ripening prematurely. It's probably more the heat than the lack of rain. I watered the garden 3 times during this dry spell (about every 4-5 days)

Peppers definitely seem to be doing better.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Before checking in, we took a side trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Waterrock Knob - about 5800 feet. More cool air, more awesome views from amongst the clouds.

This is what greeted us at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - a herd of elk.

This shot was taken from around 4000 feet.

Looking down the half-mile paved trail up to the summit. No shuttle service here...lol. Pretty steep too, and the thin air left a lot of people winded. A mile and a quarter (2 kilometers) above sea level is nothing to sneeze at.
Like the foggy mountain shots, better out looking into the fog than inside of it though. What are trees doing at 6000 feet? Vegetation at the top looks mostly conifers, similar to the top of Mt. Greylock (3500 feet or so). I've wondered whether 5000-6000 feet is enough to feel hiking, not really enough for altitude sickness but could make one tired.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:45 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Quote:
Like the foggy mountain shots, better out looking into the fog than inside of it though. What are trees doing at 6000 feet? Vegetation at the top looks mostly conifers, similar to the top of Mt. Greylock (3500 feet or so). I've wondered whether 5000-6000 feet is enough to feel hiking, not really enough for altitude sickness but could make one tired.
Yeah, it smells strongly of Christmas trees up there...lol. Pretty much all Fraser firs above 6000 feet - too cold for deciduous trees.

I notice I get a bit short of breath above 6000 feet, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:11 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Yeah the plants still look good but too bad their not producing much any more. Tomatoes also are ripening prematurely. It's probably more the heat than the lack of rain. I watered the garden 3 times during this dry spell (about every 4-5 days)

Peppers definitely seem to be doing better.
Yup, heat will do that, I thought they would be heat tolerant though. Maybe too much is not even good for them? Peppers LOVE heat. Ever consider shading the Tomatoes in mid Summer? Maybe not worth it. I always wondered where we get our tomatoes shipped from at the stores here. I always thought it was the south but maybe not. Watermelons are my favorite, too bad I cant grow those here. (CT farms do though & pumpkins)

Quote:
Mt. Greylock from the north side feels a bit harder because steeper even though the elevation gain is about 2900 feet; also I've always done it as part a longer ride so I'm less fresh. I try to do Greylock every year — I've posted photos of that ride.

You must got some high speed rated tires. Wow!
To be honest, Greylock was too simple for me. But that might be different if biking. I didn't like the roads we had to cross as we were hiking. Didn't make it feel like you were hiking in a mountain but was a good hike for sure. I need to get back there! Maybe a good day in September.

Quote:
What are trees doing at 6000 feet? Vegetation at the top looks mostly conifers, similar to the top of Mt. Greylock (3500 feet or so). I've wondered whether 5000-6000 feet is enough to feel hiking, not really enough for altitude sickness but could make one tired.
When I was at 5100' I didn't notice a difference in breathing. Greylock was cool for one reason in my eyes.. As I was hiking the Tree types were changing. I didn't see that with Algonquin in Adirondacks. Got to the area of confiners at Greylock and just felt so comfortable. This was in the Fall and temps were in the 30s.

Quote:
I notice I get a bit short of breath above 6000 feet, but it's not bad once you get used to it.
Yeah, the Christmas scents were amazing when I was on Greylock. My Cousin went Skiing at Breckenridge Colorado. They said the resort would hand out oxygen masks for visitors especially from the East coast. My cousins couldn't do much skiing, they weren't used to the air there.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Another Amazing perfect coolish dry morning for pulling weeds which started to take over.
Soil getting "dusty" again but I don't want anymore rain. We had enough.

Bucket of weeds in 20 minutes. Where do I put them?

Dropped onto the compost pile, eventually all mixed in when I turn it...
Grabbed the compost dirt from underneath and put into the bucket.... All kitchen scrap (banana peels, Watermelon, chicken bones, lobster scrap, ect. ect.

Compost dirt onto the garden bed. Fresh organic food for the crops.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:27 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Looks like a normal English landscape.
It may as well be Spain if you're used to the cesspit climate of NI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather