Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which summer cloud cover do you prefer?
Southern California's marine layer 15 26.32%
Southeastern U.S. afternoon nimbocumulus thunderstorm clouds 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 PM

246 posts, read 422,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
I don't think most people really know what the marine layer is like. Even thought I love thunderstorms, there is nothing like a SoCal summer.

Gentle clouds roll in during the evening to tuck you in at night like a blanket. The nights pleasantly cool, to where you can keep the windows open and be ever so comfortable. The perfect temperature air caressing your skin, so smooth, so soft.

Goldilocks humidity with dewpoints in the high 50's to low 60s and temps the same.

As morning comes, a gentle filtered light through the clouds in the morning, no harsh sun to wake you abruptly. Then as the day goes on, the warm sun gently peeking through the clouds in a heavenly golden glow.

The filtered light crescendoing throughout the day, with a warm afternoon, then as twilight approaches, the marine layer slowly reforming, again readying to tuck you back in, for a comfy nights sleep.

Southern California summers are truly a paradise.
Wow!!!! This is the most amazing description of a southern California summer I have ever read!

I think I'll have to go with Marine Layer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:50 PM

680 posts, read 649,356 times
Marine Layer

I enjoy the cooler temperatures in the morning and evenings that accompany the marine layer. I also enjoy the sun and sometimes warmer temperatures(nothing remotely oppressive though) that come after the marine layer burns off, generally a very comfortable overall experience as opposed to the downpours that happen in the Southeast and the general steam bath conditions that occur after the passing of these storms.

I also like driving down the coast, especially the central coast around Big Sur, where the marine layer kind of filters up the cliffs and it creates a kind of unique coastal experience along the cliffside roads and landscapes.

I'd hardly call the marine layer "gloomy"(it generally burns off quickly and is a very light "cover"), coastal California is generally sunny enough even with the marine layer people.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,995 times
Thunderstorms but with 70-90 highs and lows from 50-70.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
A bit of both. I'd appreciate either.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Nimbocumulus? No such thing.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Wow!!!! This is the most amazing description of a southern California summer I have ever read!

I think I'll have to go with Marine Layer.

What's not mentioned is the current forecast for a place like Newport Beach.

Here you go:

What a lousy summer beach forecast. How you like drizzle and a high temp of 69F in July? Lousy.

You may as well go to an English seaside resort like Brighton. Way too cold given the latitude.

Yeah we have much colder snowier winters, but we do much better for beach days in summer than the supposed beach paradise of southern CA lol.

Our local beach forecast if far superior if you ask me. Our nights are warmer, our days are warmer right on the sand. Our water is warmer.

And a place like Gulf Shores, AL right on the upper Gulf Coast.

And the corresponding water temps.

Of course, the water in CA is the coldest of all three. Though I was surprised to see a 71F which isn't too bad.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
SoCal peaks in meteorological autumn though. Plenty of time for them.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
SoCal peaks in meteorological autumn though. Plenty of time for them.

True, but the sun angle and light is different then. Shorter days in Autumn. Think I prefer our cool Autumn days and nights as we get all the warmth we need in summer. Most of us are ready for Autumn and excited to see it roll in come October.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
I'd hardly call the marine layer "gloomy"(it generally burns off quickly and is a very light "cover"), coastal California is generally sunny enough even with the marine layer people.
I was in San Fransisco for about 3-4 days during July 1973. It was quite gloomy for our entire stay, even though as we came in through Berkely it was still a glorious 88 degree day. A few miles later, a few days of 62 with fog and drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Nimbocumulus? No such thing.
Cumulonimbus.

Last edited by jbgusa; 07-08-2015 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Combining into prior short post.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:59 PM

963 posts, read 855,763 times
Thunderstorms
Marine layer similar to the Peruvian coast is disgusting, very high humidity with almost no rainfall at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather