Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I moved from Florida 7 years ago and have lived in many areas of SoCal, typically always near the coast. The largest chunk of time was spent in Hermosa Beach where the marine layer is quite prevalent. This was a major point of disappointment for me as, despite all the thunderstorms of Florida, you also pretty much had sunshine every day too. Going through several days in a row my first summer without seeing the sun was both despressing and shocking. I started to study the marine layer somewhat and came to find that it is not exactly the same in every coastal community. Having worked in San Pedro for the last 4 years, I've been right on a border of where there is a distinctive difference in duration of overcast periods. Many times, by 12 or 1 pm, If I look North/Northwest, I see a strong bank of clouds. If I look South/Southeast, it is sunny. It is pretty certain that Catalina Island blocks or breaks up the marine layer from San Pedro south. But south to where? I'm certain that moving south threw Newport Beach this area of markedly less marine layer exists (as compared to Hermosa Beach and other areas). How far south can you go to enjoy this break? Laguna? Dana Point?

*I should note I'm fully aware that Newport etc are plenty familiar with the marine layer and that it is very much a part of the weather there. If you haven't traveled up and down the coast and made it a point to notice the differences in prevalence of the marine layer, please don't bother responding. Thanks!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 19,533 times
Its sunny in San Clemente right now! But really I know what you mean. The problem of the marine layer is property taxes. The Higher the taxes the less of a marine layer. Think I'm joking? Take Newport Beach for instance, they suffer the highest taxes but the least marine layer. Coincidence? I think not. In all truth though the marine layer strikes without warning anywhere and at any time. The way I deal with it, is... if it is blanketing my beautiful beach community I drive north. Every time I have done this I only get about 15 minutes from home before I find sun. Try it!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I'd just like to say that we've already had a bunch of days over 100 degrees here in Phoenix. I'd love a nice marine layer.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Yeah, right as I type this we are in one of those moments where I can look south throuhg Long Beach and down the OC coast and see that its sunny. I look North at the top of the hill in PV and see clouds.

I gather you live in San Clemente? I kinda figure that about 10 min up the 5 from San Clemente is where the coast still is somewhat "protected" by Catalina. Of course, if you just head up the 5, you are also going to go through a stretch where you're further from the ocean. Still, I'm kinda working off the assumption that south Laguna is right about where the next border is where the marine layer changes.

There are also similar zones like this up in Santa Barbara where the Channel Islands provide blockage. Ventura is often overcast as you head up the 101 and then you get to sun as you head into SB.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
We have a marine layer through most of June until mid afternoon in Los Alamitos about 2 miles from the beach right next to Long Beach.

And I thank god for it because it means one less month of intense heat all day

Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
We have a marine layer through most of June until mid afternoon in Los Alamitos about 2 miles from the beach right next to Long Beach.

And I thank god for it because it means one less month of intense heat all day
LOL. I've lived near the coast in various parts of SoCal (Hermosa, Santa Monica, PB in San Diego and Newport briefly) for 7 years. The post above is what I was hoping to avoid. That's why I specifically asked fror generalized answers from people that haven't observed different parts of the coast to be omitted. No hard feelings. Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Go to this page

National Weather Service - Western Region Headquarters

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/lo...ype=vis&size=1

and click on the 1km satellite animation. You can see what parts of SoCal clear out first. Some places may clear out before others, or maybe different places may clear out at different times.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Thanks. I suppose one could monitor that every so often to compare areas.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Fog is an acquired taste. The best thing is to embrace it. Don't fight it. The pay back for all the "fog sieges" are all the sunny days the rest of the year.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
BTW SB can experience weeks straight with no burn off. Don't be fooled. Just embrace it, it is a key thing that says, I am on the California coast and no where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County