Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times

Advertisements

Pouring down rain at the moment. Temps dropping to the low 70's.

I'm loving life right about now.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Been checking the forecasts for SE Michigan, Ontario and Syracuse - it sure is looking sweet for the week ahead. Oh man, I can't wait.

I've decided to move my departure time to 3:30 am Wed morning - so I can be sure to clear the peak hour traffic in the Detroit area and to get in ahead of possible bad weather at that time. I pick up the rental car tomorrow at the airport at 3 pm - hoping for a real fuel-sipper...lol.

I can't believe the long, long wait is almost over - I'm boiling over with excitement now.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times

http://youtu.be/KYHVbLLO2bU

trippy.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Let me try. In Finnish.

Hissi (elevator) - Germanic
alkuruoka (starter) - direct translation of antipasto
loma (holiday) - proto-Baltic
syksy (autumn) - proto-Finnic
alkoholi - Arabic
olut (beer) - Norse/Germanic
viini (wine) - Germanic
viina (booze) - Estonian

Of all your examples, only two are Finnic in origin, all others are loans. Shows that even small languages are nowhere "pure".
Well, technically, the majority of words in the English language are of Latin or Greek origin. Germanic words are a minority. However, everyday speech tends to make use of a greater percentage of Germanic words. I don't what the case is for Finnish and what proportion of words are of nonnative origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
In Russian:
Лифт (lift) - lift/elevator - English
Закуска (zakuska) - starter/appetizer - native
Праздник (prazdnik) - holiday - Old Church Slavonic
Осень (osen) - autumn - native
Алкоголь (alkogol) - alcohol - Arabic
Пиво (pivo) - beer - native
Вино (vino) - wine - Slavic, but very old loanword (of Proto-Slavic period) from either Latin or some Germanic language
Выпивка (vypivka) - booze - native
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
I'm also very interested in etymology and I prefer German words over loanwords,especially if a German word already exists. But I don't care as much if they are European or not, and I don't like the recent influx of English words into the German language. Non-foreign words are just much more intuiutive and easier to understand but I'm fine with loanwords that were already part of our language before the High German consonant shift in the early middle ages.

I think in general German has much less foreign words than English and I've heard Icelandic has almost no ones. Sometimes the replaced English word is still known like bookstave=letter or bookhouse=library.

Here is Ariete's list in German:

elevator - Aufzug: germanic
starter - Appetithäppchen: latin germanic
holiday - Urlaub: germanic-> allowed
autumn - Herbst: germanic -> harvest
alcohol - Alkohol: arabic
beer - Bier: germanic
wine - Wein: latin
Wine is an interesting case. All my sources tell me it basically comes from a Proto-Germanic source (wīną), but was in fact an even earlier loanword from Latin.

I'm not quite sure what got me into this subject, but I've had an interest in it for quite a few years, at least since 2009. It was around then that I constantly looked up work etymologies. It has gotten to the point now where I can identify the etymology of the vast majority of English words. Knowing Spanish to some extent helped, since I already knew the vast majority of English-Spanish cognates were of Latin (or Greek) origin.

And I would say word origins do matter. Too many Latin/Greek words makes English sound very technical and scientific. On the other hand, Germanic words make English sound more rustic, and this is partly why I prefer Germanic words.

I think this forum could use a Language section. Maybe make it for discussions about foreign language learning and other general language topics.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Too tired, too early. Feeling kind of down tonight.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
What the hell!? I didn't goto bed until 12 in your timezone! It's only 8!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Well, there's one thing I do, that you don't do, and have never done. -.-

Old 08-17-2015, 06:50 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Same here. I feel semi-depressed today.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Same here. I feel semi-depressed today.
And also lonely on my end...

Have to find a guy.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
Your weird. Who goes to bed at 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather