Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Except that again your looking at it through the eyes of a 40N latitude. We live much further north than America.
I know, but you have much fewer frosts in the winter than us, so I wouldn't have expected lots of spring frosts. It makes sense, once I thought about it; just not what I expected.

Btw, the Midwest at similar latitude and winter cold is less prone to spring frost than the Northeast / New England. Maybe because its more continental, or the airflow pattern is different. Diurnal range tends to be a bit higher than most of the Midwest at least east of the Mississippi.

Interesting England vs Pacific Northwest comparison. Bellingham is further south, but has slightly cooler averages. Both are equally prone to spring frosts, but Bellingham gets more winter frosts, probably from not being on an island.

Oxford climate information - Met Office

BELLINGHAM INTL AP, WASHINGTON Period of Record General Climate Summary - Temperature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah but you guys have a very mild climate for your latitude....obviously we know you're at 50+N. Latitude is only one factor when it comes to determining climate. Obviously, the dynamics of the North American climate are much different than Western Europe, so it would be silly to compare latitude by latitude.

Berlin, NH at 44 N has recorded a freeze in every month except July....and even then it's really close at 1 C. Berlin is cold for its latitude however. Just proves my point that latitude doesn't tell the whole story.

Saranac Lake, NY has recorded a freeze in every month, at 44 N.
Well latitude is an influence because the ocean cools the further north you go. It is currently a 12c sea temperature now, it will peak at that and fall down to 5c or so in March.

I still have single figure sea temperatures at June so it isn't hard to get a frost in the early summer period. We don't have 20c sea temperatures or else it would be much warmer.

We are also near Greenland so cold spells can come down.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The UK is on average mild, but the cold air is still pretty close in April and bursts can temporarily wander down quite late in the season and create frost, especially on higher ground, and particularly if accompanied with clear skies. Look at this example from this spring:

My last frost was on 17 May, when it looked like this:
Interesting and true. Also the cold ocean water in spring probably assures that cold air is still possible in spring. It was just a surprise that they can even early summer frosts too.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
What exactly is the difference between a frost and a freeze? Is it frost=radiation frost and freeze=advection frost? Or is it just air frost (2 m) and ground frost?

All these things are quite confusing: frost, freeze, frozen dew, soft rime, hard rime, glazed ice and so on.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well latitude is an influence because the ocean cools the further north you go. It is currently a 12c sea temperature now, it will peak at that and fall down to 5c or so in March.

I still have single figure sea temperatures at June so it isn't hard to get a frost in the early summer period. We don't have 20c sea temperatures or else it would be much warmer.

We are also near Greenland so cold spells can come down.
Yeah, like I said the cold ocean water helps assure that you can get frosts even into early summer.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
What exactly is the difference between a frost and a freeze? Is it frost=radiation frost and freeze=advection frost? Or is it just air frost (2 m) and ground frost?

All these things are quite confusing: frost, freeze, frozen dew, soft rime, hard rime, glazed ice and so on.
I am talking about negative mins.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I know, but you have much fewer frosts in the winter than us, so I wouldn't have expected lots of spring frosts. It makes sense, once I thought about it; just not what I expected.

Btw, the Midwest at similar latitude and winter cold is less prone to spring frost than the Northeast / New England. Maybe because its more continental, or the airflow pattern is different. Diurnal range tends to be a bit higher than most of the Midwest at least east of the Mississippi.

Interesting England vs Pacific Northwest comparison. Bellingham is further south, but has slightly cooler averages. Both are equally prone to spring frosts, but Bellingham gets more winter frosts, probably from not being on an island.

Oxford climate information - Met Office

BELLINGHAM INTL AP, WASHINGTON Period of Record General Climate Summary - Temperature
Yep, I've noticed that the Midwest has warmer springs at the same latitude than New England. Probably because New England has slightly more of an oceanic influence? Also New England is closer to the Labrador Current, which gives Eastern Canada very cold springs, so maybe you're closer to those cold spring air masses as well? Schefferville at 56 N has sub-freezing highs as an average even into April, even though it's located well inland. By comparison, Thompson, Manitoba has an average high of April of about 5 C, but it's just as far inland and at the same latitude.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
As a "pathological climate", I'll refer to California. Mean summer sea temperature off Mendocino, CA is 11°C and it's at 39°N. It isn't as prone to frosts as Northern Ireland, but it gets spring frosts.

FT BRAGG 5 N, CALIFORNIA Period of Record General Climate Summary - Temperature

30 miles inland averages about the same number of air frosts as Castlederg

UKIAH, CALIFORNIA Period of Record General Climate Summary - Temperature

Castlederg climate information - Met Office

And wow, isn't Ukiah an amazing climate? It must get more than double the sunshine as Castlederg....

Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Frost is what posters here call "ground frost". Freeze is an "air frost". Ground frost and air frost I think are British English terms, hadn't heard until this forum. Frost always refers to having ground frost, or physically frost on the ground in the US.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM

No a Frost in this country is when it goes below 0c.

I don't count ground frost because I get it so many times it's irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather