Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No a Frost in this country is when it goes below 0c.
Yes. I said it was British English. Confused some posters here.

The OP is American, so frost was referring to ground frost while freeze air frost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Interesting and true. Also the cold ocean water in spring probably assures that cold air is still possible in spring. It was just a surprise that they can even early summer frosts too.
Well, I'm 5 degrees north of Owen, 10 degrees north of London, and my record low in June was 41.4F. So it's not something common. Here it happens for the same reason. Cold northerly air which allows to flow down unrestricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
What exactly is the difference between a frost and a freeze? Is it frost=radiation frost and freeze=advection frost? Or is it just air frost (2 m) and ground frost?

All these things are quite confusing: frost, freeze, frozen dew, soft rime, hard rime, glazed ice and so on.
In British English:

frost -> 2m temp below 0C
ground frost -> 0m temp below 0C

In American English:

freeze -> 2m temp below 32F
frost -> 0m temp below 32F

In Finnish it's easy. Halla is ground frost, pakkanen is below 0C at 2m and kuura is what it creates (frost particles). Finnish should be the new lingua franca.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
I have personally recorded a frost (-1c) in June a few years ago on my own weather station so it is common. It's much colder here in summer and you are 1,200 miles to the East.

Also from Greenland (the main source of cold in the summer) you are about 1,800 miles to the east so the cold is not going to reach you.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, I'm 5 degrees north of Owen, 10 degrees north of London, and my record low in June was 41.4F. So it's not something common. Here it happens for the same reason. Cold northerly air which allows to flow down unrestricted.

In British English:

frost -> 2m temp below 0C
ground frost -> 0m temp below 0C

In American English:

freeze -> 2m temp below 32F
frost -> 0m temp below 32F

In Finnish it's easy. Halla is ground frost, pakkanen is below 0C at 2m and kuura is what it creates (frost particles).
Isn't your ocean water warmer than the water surrounding Owen during spring/summer though? And yeah I wasn't insinuating that June frost is common, but it doesn't seem exceptionally rare either. It was only something I didn't know beforehand, now it makes sense to me why they can get frosts late. Cold ocean waters+cold air source not being that far away either. It wouldn't surprise me now if the UK sees more late spring/early summer frosts than a place like Ukraine. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
I have personally recorded a frost (-1c) in June a few years ago on my own weather station so it is common. It's much colder here in summer and you are 1,200 miles to the East.

Also from Greenland (the main source of cold in the summer) you are about 1,800 miles to the east so the cold is not going to reach you.
You recorded a below freezing temperature in June once, so that makes it common??

Old 07-23-2015, 10:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Isn't your ocean water warmer than the water surrounding Owen during spring/summer though? And yeah I wasn't insinuating that June frost is common, but it doesn't seem exceptionally rare either. It was only something I didn't know beforehand, now it makes sense to me why they can get frosts late. Cold ocean waters+cold air source not being that far away either. It wouldn't surprise me now if the UK sees more late spring/early summer frosts than a place like Ukraine. I could be wrong though.
It probably does. Kiev has never recorded a freeze in June-August (and probably not a ground frost, either)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev#Climate

Hard to tell how common May frosts are, don't feel like poking through Russian / Ukrainian climate data, especially since I can't read Cyrillic.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:

Oh so now you have your personal weather station too? You have been, what, 3 years on this forum with 60k posts and not a single mention or shread of stats from that said weather station? Stop already. Ok, I have a PWS too. Yesterday it was at room temperature, but the day before it recorded 225C.

I know you are cooler in summer, but you are also more oceanic and more cloudy, which means less frost. I'm 1000 miles from the Arctic Sea, and I've witnessed June freezes twice in my lifetime, in 1992 and 2009.

I live in a hemiboreal humid continental climate (hemiboreal is the transition zone between the deciduous and coniferous forest biomes). I am the prime authority on frost on this forum now when JetsNHL is somewhere travelling.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
okay, then I say both will occur earlier than last year:

frost: late October (27th)
freeze: mid November (14th)

Old 07-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I know you are cooler in summer, but you are also more oceanic and more cloudy, which means less frost. I'm 1000 miles from the Arctic Sea, and I've witnessed June freezes twice in my lifetime, in 1992 and 2009.
I think "ocean = less frosts" doesn't apply in the spring, if the spring temperature average cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather