Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer ?
Chicago 24 47.06%
Paris 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Malta is a small rock in the middle of the Med. so it would be humid

Still not nearly as humid as the US South. About as humid as the Midwest or Mid Atlantic during the peak summer months.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/32343/Luqa-Malta

This is my NWS station about 35 miles south of Chicago's city limits.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Generally speaking only the coastal areas of Mediterranean Europe see dew points high enough in the summer to create heat indecies.
Luqa Airport is in the middle of the island. The coast where Flaminggalah lives, probably would have dewpoints more comparable to Lampedusa. (the neightbouring island)

https://weatherspark.com/averages/32...a-Sicily-Italy

Edit: I think for most of the Med Coast, there's already a big difference in mugginess between standing on the beach and being 5-10km away from the coast.
There are some exceptions like Adana.

Last edited by Guajara; 02-20-2016 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 07:17 PM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Luqa Airport is in the middle of the island. The coast where Flaminggalah lives, probably would have dewpoints more comparable to Lampedusa. (the neightbouring island)
Probably, but Malta is barely 15km wide.

This is one of the highest dew point averages you would find in the coastal Med.

Quote:
Edit: I think for most of the Med Coast, there's already a big difference in mugginess between standing on the beach and being 5-10km away from the coast.
There are some exceptions like Adana.
Yes, even less than 10km.... I notice that when I travel to Greece, and when I was in Sicily. Unlike the US where you can go hundreds of kilometers inland and not see much of a difference in dew points.

Speaking of dew points since this thread is about Chicago, average hourly dew points (not peak) for selected heat episodes. Seems as if we are getting more high dew point heat waves and fewer dry heatwaves

The 2012 heatwave was also fairly humid. July had 22 days where dew points peaked at or above 21C/70F. The air temperatures were exceptional.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:34 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Yeah, it's so nice to have weather I don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If the weather isn't to my liking, then I'm not going to call it "nice"....lol
But if people don't don't know your personal weather preference in the summer then simply saying "nowhere has a nice summer in Europe" is a pointless statement without saying exactly why... Besides Europe is pretty big & I'm sure there must be somewhere that gets hot summers with frequent rain/thunderstorms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Malta is a small rock in the middle of the Med. so it would be humid

Still not nearly as humid as the US South. About as humid as the Midwest or Mid Atlantic during the peak summer months.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/32343/Luqa-Malta

This is my NWS station about 35 miles south of Chicago's city limits.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Generally speaking only the coastal areas of Mediterranean Europe see dew points high enough in the summer to create heat indecies.
As has been said Luqa is inland & as small as Malta may be it does make a difference, I can get dewpoints here at the coast in the high 20's celcius, many visitors, even from other Mediterranean areas, comment about how humid & oppressive the heat is here in the summer...

Old 02-21-2016, 04:42 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
Paris isn´t bad but Chicago for being more interesting and warmer in summers. But yes -there is indeed quite a long winter in Chicago, that is three months with means below zero, that is a bit more than I actually thought.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
dewpoint reached 20c and above no less than 16 times last july here in Bologna, peaking at 24c (see "Punto di rugiada"):

Weather History for Bologna, Italy | Weather Underground

we're not coastal but there's plenty of water around...

Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
dewpoint reached 20c and above no less than 16 times last july here in Bologna, peaking at 24c (see "Punto di rugiada"):

Weather History for Bologna, Italy | Weather Underground

we're not coastal but there's plenty of water around...

The Po Valley has an interesting climate as far as Italy is concerned. Unlike much of the rest of the Med were coastal areas can be humid, but abruptly dry out just a few km inland (mostly thanks to rugged terrain and increasing elevation imo), the Po Valley has a similar effect as the Gulf Coast US. Flat landmass which allows for moisture to flow easily inland from the Sea. Plus, like you said additional sources of water which can add more moisture into the air.

Even though this summer was cooler than average, we did have many days with high dew points. Even reached 27C+ three times this past July

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 02-21-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Nowhere in Europe has a nice summer IMO.
Much of the Balkans have a hot humid summer with plentyful thunderstorms.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Much of the Balkans have a hot humid summer with plentyful thunderstorms.

Hot yes, decent thunderstorms yes (though not Midwest levels), humid? Tirana is, Skopje, Sofia, and Bucharest aren't very humid imo.

Tirana is on the coast and is very humid

Sofia

Skopje

Belgrade is modestly humid

Bucharest is moderately humid

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 02-21-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
I don't know why anyone would actually like or want high summer humidity, thunderstorms I can understand, but here in the summer as soon as you have had a shower you need another one. Doing the slightest thing makes you sweat buckets & especially going about day to day life, having to wear a shirt & tie to work for example is awful. If all you have to do is sit by a pool (or on the beach) & sip Mai Tai's fair enough, but the humidity here in the summer kills me...

Old 02-21-2016, 10:37 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't know why anyone would actually like or want high summer humidity, thunderstorms I can understand, but here in the summer as soon as you have had a shower you need another one. Doing the slightest thing makes you sweat buckets & especially going about day to day life, having to wear a shirt & tie to work for example is awful. If all you have to do is sit by a pool (or on the beach) & sip Mai Tai's fair enough, but the humidity here in the summer kills me...
some people like to be drenched in sweat all the time I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather