Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,454,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
People didn't seem to care more than in Paris. Was uneasy at first taking pics in the Bronx, then I realized no one gave a damn lol
Is it because they didnt approach you and try to take your camera or because they didnt tell you? You dont know they didnt care. Majority of people I know mind but they wouldnt physically show it. Its just a respect thing not to take anyones photo. But again, being a tourist is another thing. Doesnt look as creepy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Outside right now. Got the fire going inside for heat.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,417,245 times
Americans are weird lol.. it's perfectly fine here to stop and take pictures of anything, and why would Police care? You are not breaking any laws taking photos, so I can see no reason why they would intervene.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
If you're taking someone's portrait than it's a bit odd and you should ask. Otherwise, it's just a crowd, I'd assume it's fine. I'd still try to be discrete.

The police standing on the Brooklyn Bridge get constantly asked by tourists to be photographed. Apparently, some think the NYPD is a tourist sight? I asked the police officer to take my photo on the bridge.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,417,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you're taking someone's portrait than it's a bit odd and you should ask. Otherwise, it's just a crowd, I'd assume it's fine. I'd still try to be discrete.

The police standing on the Brooklyn Bridge get constantly asked by tourists to be photographed. Apparently, some think the NYPD is a tourist sight? I asked the police officer to take my photo on the bridge.
Oh obviously going up to people and taking pictures would be weird! But in a busy environment I can't see any problems eg walking along a street and someone is taking photos of the town/place where you might be in the background.. I've probably photo bombed hundreds of tourist photos lol

Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,464,701 times
Quote:
People didn't seem to care more than in Paris. Was uneasy at first taking pics in the Bronx, then I realized no one gave a damn lol.
Yeah places like that are so crowded hardly anyone even seems to notice.

Still, it helps to know what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHLT6gRVA-8

Old 05-15-2016, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Love the photos and commentary. You managed to see a lot, I'm unsure if I can recognize all of them.

Quote:
They've got nice, tall buildings there.
Rockefeller Center, right? More interesting decor than newer buildings.

Quote:
Elmo photobomb!
lol

Quote:
The city is labelled as "subtropical", though I can vouch that this was not warm, handsome rain.
I remember the rain as being surprisingly strong given the temperature

Quote:
Metro North to Wassaic? Too bad I didn't have my bike with me.
Shame.

Quote:
Everything's nice and green. The UHI does wonders.
I need to check out the High Line in the growing season, looks like it has

Quote:
Strange habit. Neapolitans or Marseillais would feel at home on this sidewalk.
Where else would you put garbage? Like Naples, New York City's garbage collection is or at least was mafia controlled. At least New York doesn't have a giant garbage pile, though Long Island had this, rather well known story back then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobro_4000

Quote:
Am I in Bjornoya?
Those two Lower Manhattan shots with the clouds are my favorite. Neat, slightly eeire atmosphere, looks like a movie set

Spoiler

Quote:
Sepia doesn't look that much different with this weather.
lol at the sepia, goes quite well. shows how crummy the weather was. Fits the buildings well.

Quote:
Nice architecture there.
You found Soho! You see my photos of Soho a few weeks ago?

Quote:
Ha, finally a jaywalker!
How does the jaywalking compare to Paris? I think it's mostly crossing against the light at narrow streets when there's little traffic. But I noticed everyone obeyed the walk signs in Paris. Just jaywalked a couple hours ago — intersection was annoyingly far away.

Quote:
Damn, all my pics are in sepia now.

These ones aren't. No difference whatsoever.
Think the sepia ones came out better. Liked the one with the people's heads at the bottom of the photo. And the very tilted photo after that with the store "OMG". Normally, that would just look like a mistake.

Quote:
Correction: almost everything.
You almost copied my arch photo

Is this photo in Harlem?

Spoiler

Photo after that appears to be a public housing building, possibly unsafe at night.

Quote:
#LeafyAmericanCities
So leafy you can't make out any of the architecture. Welcome in the summer, still. Did NYC feel leafier than Paris?

Oh, that bus stop description is a Bronx block, so the previous ones must have been Bronx photos. Checked the neighborhood... Congratulations, you visited one of NYC's worst neighborhoods. Was there any reason you chose there, or you just picking a place at random? Same area on streetview looks nicer than your photos, maybe the sun helps.

Quote:
Not so crowded cars on the Lexington line, and this was before 8 pm.
Wow, I guess not too many take the subway in the Bronx back into Manhattan? It's not the end of the line, weird.

Quote:
I'm kinda familiar with this brand. Can't remember why.
You drink it?

Quote:
- Where you at dawg?
- I'm at the Kentaco Hut.
- Wtf?
Would §AB approve?

Quote:
Who said restaurant terraces were absent from American cities?
If only there were more.

Quote:
Not Cambium's kinda place I assume.
Not mine, either

Quote:
Bubbles R Us?
Hmm. Where are we now? Washington Heights.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8351...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Nice mansion there.
Haven't seen that one. Like the look of this spot, parklet + old rowhomes is a nice combo

Spoiler

Quote:
The strong sun reminded me that I was at a lower latitude than southern France.
Is that a joke? Or did you really notice the difference?

Quote:
The chilly NW wind 1,000 feet above ground reminded me that I was in a continental climate fail. The view was worth the pain and suffering though.
so you went up the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center?

Quote:
The contrast between the Palisades and Manhattan is striking.

Yep, it was neat seeing the Palisades across the Hudson while on the west side bike path. And then crossing and going from Washington Heights to all parkland.

Quote:
Less green outside the UHI
Umm, a friend of mine as a child lived in a building behind the townhomes in the upper left. Grew up not that far from there, it's the train station my mom uses to commute in. What brought you there?! You got a glimpse of suburban America, but it's not exactly the most scenic or interesting spot. There's a nice town 1.5 miles north, but the area by the station is blah. If you want to escape from the city by train I would suggest

1) MetroNorth to Cold Spring, see the Hudson and highlands. Walk around cute town or even go for a short hike
2) LIRR to Long Beach, walk around town and see the ocean, though it's too cold swim now

I don't recognize any of the other photos, but I assume they must be on the Huntington Line.

Anyhow, looks like you had a great trip.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 PM

Done with commenting...My turn to post photos. From the last of the shroud of cloud as it was leaving

Spoiler

at a garden shop. We can have bananas, too!

Spoiler

Warm and dry day late last week. Morning started out cool, wearing a jacket and pants. Just below 50°F.

leaves slowing coming in

now in Vermont

Spoiler

solar panels must doing well today

Old dam use to power small-scale industry. Cluster of houses around it

nearby house has a front yard of tulips. Phone service appeared to have a bar going up the hill. Local told me there wasn't any service so I didn't go up anymore. Getting warmer out

Road block. The vehicle moved out of the way a couple later to let me pass. Worker had a strong accent, some sorta rural Vermont accent? I've heard some of that up there, but that was rather strong

100 year old library building

still a lot of leafless trees

on the road, back in Massachusetts

made it to the top of the hill

way down was a neat, but often potholed road by a river.

Hollywood, Massachusetts

all bare!

old industry, Turner Falls. 80°F now

========================================

Yesterday hike on Mt. Tom, low 70s out

looking south, sea of spring light green

looking north, sea of spring light green

not sharp image of a snake. Or two?

Spoiler

damage from a derecho 1.5 years ago

On my way home, lilacs are out

Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,142,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Americans are weird lol.. it's perfectly fine here to stop and take pictures of anything, and why would Police care? You are not breaking any laws taking photos, so I can see no reason why they would intervene.
I have taken thousands of photos all over the US (been to 23 states so far) and 99.9999% of the people haven't said anything.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:34 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,610,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Done with commenting...My turn to post photos. From the last of the shroud of cloud as it was leaving
What's the elevation of those leafless pics? I can't imagine anywhere close to sea level would still be bare in the middle of May?!

Some of the other photos reminded me of the game, The Last of Us. Especially the weir on the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather