Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times

Advertisements

I haven't really noticed that. Most Muslim women I've met have been very friendly and sweet and polite.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm suspicious of Macron given how much he praises finance. What's so bad about Trudeau? He's gotten overhyped but seems ok. Well, his pro-Castro comment was stupid. Harper was a nasty piece of work.
As has been mentioned, even if they reflect a naïve view of the world the effects of the Trudeau take on things have not really been felt in Canada as very little has changed relative to how they were under Harper.

Maybe in the future they will have a greater effect. I don't know. But one thing is sure is that Trudeau has been successful because he beams back to Canadians a vision that they like to have of themselves. That of the "good guy", operating on the idea that if Canadians are nice to everyone in the world, everyone in the world will be nice to Canadians.

This photo of Mounties and refugees at the border between the US and Quebec this past winter, illustrates the Canadian sentiment perfectly:

Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I haven't really noticed that. Most Muslim women I've met have been very friendly and sweet and polite.
There aren't too many Muslims in the United States though. In the United Kingdom, we have expansive, established communities. They mostly keep to themselves and generally don't alter their social norms to suit the country that they have immigrated to.

You can see why locals would be irritated with that.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
There aren't too many Muslims in the United States though. In the United Kingdom, we have expansive, established communities. They mostly keep to themselves and generally don't alter their social norms to suit the country that they have immigrated to.

You can see why locals would be irritated with that.
The US has a larger Muslim population than the UK (3.3 vs 2.7 million) via wikipedia

Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM

I honestly don't see the issue with keeping to one's self. At least you're not bothering anyone, I tend to be that way in public too. Much preferable to the overly loud dolts who seem to have the need to engage EVERYBODY in conversation....

Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Me too, although he does have a point. One of the people I get along with the best at work and hang out with is a Muslim woman. And the vast majority of those I've known in my life have been a pleasure to deal with.

But there is a segment of the female Muslim population that is very isolationist. It's definitely noticeable and clashes with what you see from almost any other group.

This is not a criticism, but it is noticeable.

1% v 5%. Population is heavily concentrated and not spread out in the UK.

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I remember overhearing this one guy calling some Hispanic woman "illegal" just because he heard her speak Spanish to someone something along the lines of "these illegals are ruining this country, they should at least learn English"
someone asked my dad if he's illegal to his face

Quote:
Yeah, I bet most people probably can't tell you're an immigrant lol. Living in South FL nearly my whole life, I've never really experienced it either considering the amount of Hispanics we have here. I encountered it a bit when I lived in GA though.
aren't hispanics the majority down there anyway?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't see the issue with keeping to one's self. At least you're not bothering anyone, I tend to be that way in public too. Much preferable to the overly loud dolts who seem to have the need to engage EVERYBODY in conversation....
English people keep to themselves. Muslims take it to a whole other level by only mixing with people from their community. Indians are the same.

Black people are integrated in the UK.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The US has a larger Muslim population than the UK (3.3 vs 2.7 million) via wikipedia
Population here is much larger in general though, I suppose their "per capita" Muslim population is higher than ours.

Honestly though, I have several Muslim friends that I've known since high school. There's a pretty sizable Muslim community down here. I have never once encountered any sort of issues with them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather