Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 04:21 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They did well to win more votes (well, not really - they were supposed to anyway), but a lot of voters from third parties coalesced around the Tories and Labour. Ex-UKIP voters primarily going to the Tories, and people from the Greens and Lib Dems tactically voting for the 'Anyone But Tories' option. But not only that - a lot of people who never normally vote actually did this time, and they voted for Labour primarily. Higher turnout benefits Labour more than the Tories.

And my 'damaged' remark was mostly in reference to what has happened since the election, rather than before it. And I didn't say damaged beyond repair - I said they are becoming the nasty party again and need to be careful in order to avoid that label sticking.
I don't think they've damaged themselves more than they did before the election. That's the only part that could shape future confidence.

Also don't forget that they must've had an atrocious ground game in many seats Labour narrowly nicked because the polls indicated those weren't even in play. Of course if they had a proper ground game they'd had those finite 10-15 marginal wins that would've taken them over the line. May only went to places Labour held by 5-10 points pretty much. If anyone thinks that'll not be turned around for next time or that they won't campaign hardcore in say Canterbury they're sensationally deluded. Now knowing how post-Brexit Britain voted the battlelines have been drawn and the Tories effective targeting operations can commence.

Besides PLondon should move out on the countryside to breath in some clean air and actually meeting people outside of his inner-city echo chamber

Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I don't think they've damaged themselves more than they did before the election. That's the only part that could shape future confidence.

Also don't forget that they must've had an atrocious ground game in many seats Labour narrowly nicked because the polls indicated those weren't even in play. Of course if they had a proper ground game they'd had those finite 10-15 marginal wins that would've taken them over the line. May only went to places Labour held by 5-10 points pretty much. If anyone thinks that'll not be turned around for next time or that they won't campaign hardcore in say Canterbury they're sensationally deluded. Now knowing how post-Brexit Britain voted the battlelines have been drawn and the Tories effective targeting operations can commence.
She spent too much time focusing on Labour marginals, I agree there - total waste of time investing energy and resources in places like Bishop Auckland. Yes, they reduced Labour's majorities in such seats by a lot, but the Tories would have been better off defending the others seats they lost. Total miscalculation.

They will definitely rectify some of their mistakes. It might be enough to regain some lost seats. You are, of course, going to be more positive about future Tory campaigns than myself.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Dunno is not upper middle class. He has striking similarities with Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping up Appearances
You can determine his class from his posts?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can determine his class from his posts?
Can't you determine when a regular guy is acting like Lord of the Manor? He lives in Leeds

In face-to-face encounters, this country is weird. 80% of the time you can determine someone's wealth from their accent.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Can't you determine when a regular guy is acting like Lord of the Estate?
Well I can tell a lot of his persona is a joke, though he assume he does have "hipster" taste which doesn't necessarily mean upper-middle class. I remember he mentioned he grew up in a working-class family.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
I wonder what class I come across as. Probably lower

Old 06-17-2017, 04:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I wonder what class I come across as. Probably lower
Working/lower middle class, but not in a bad way. What about me?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I like some hipster fashion. I do wear skinny jeans and plaid shirts. I'm not a vegan, or vegetarian. I don't like coffee. I don't care about 'alternative' music'. I'm not an eco-warrior although I do believe climate change is an issue we should take seriously.

I'm just left-wing and live in a city, which in some people's minds automatically equates to elitist/hipster. I let people think what they like for the most part, and sometimes I will play along. I'm not really bothered.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Well within two years of capital flight people will understand. Big time.

That's what you lefties don't get. The big bad rich guys will leave the country and take their money elsewhere, reducing the tax base and any interest rate hike on the global market will send Britain into a Greece-like recession. Corbyn's policies are not a game. I'm sure you as upper middle-class will be fine but people would be starving on the streets and food banks run out of food within a decade of a Corbyn-led government (you start from a higher point than Greece did). Such dire would the straits be.
Usual right-wing talk that's just fear mongering. Lower taxes on the rich will create growth for everyone! Yet no real world evidence actual shows it works. Neither did austerity and big spending cuts. The rich can't suddenly leave and abandon a large country. Just naive

Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Working/lower middle class, but not in a bad way. What about me?
Probably about the same, you don't come across as high class but definitely not lower class or poor. Similar to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather