Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I don't get that though. How can you have no money, yet still afford to get obese?
Easy. Processed mass-produced food is cheaper that fresh produce, especially in winter. Check the price per kg of crisps or Tesco ice cream and compare it to broccoli or lettuce. Processed food have abnormally high levels of salt, sugar and fat, mostly which are empty calories.
And poor and unemployed people tend to drink more alcohol. 5 pints of lager is easily 1000 calories, when an office worker's normal intake is 2000 calories a day.

We have created a perverse system that even poor people get fat.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Yeah. I regularly hear people saying that poor people getting fat is kind of like a paradox - but it isn't. Cheap food is more fattening than expensive food. A lot of cheap foods are high in calories. You need less of it to gain weight..

Definitely not hard to see why poor people are often really fat.

Scotland isn't poor though. They just like deep-fried everything. And people in those post-industrial towns like Barnsley are indeed very fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
BTW, do the court verdicts in England reflect the general conservativism of the areas they operate in? In Finland the Royal Courts (yeah they are called that, ie the courts of appeal) tend to hand out harsher punishments for some crimes like white-collar crime, but more lenient for rape and such in Eastern and Northern Finland, while the opposite in Southern and Western Finland.
Not sure about that. Not that white collar crime isn't bad but I can't see it warranting a more severe punishment than rape which IMO is one of the worst crimes a person can commit (along with murder and child sex abuse).

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 12-30-2016 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not sure about that. Not that white collar crime isn't bad but I can't see it warranting a more severe punishment than rape which IMO is one of the worst crimes a person can commit (along with murder and child sex abuse).
The Royal Court of Eastern Finland has been scrutinised a lot for being very lenient on rape and domestic violence. If you beat and rape your wife, it is almost granted that you get a longer sentence in Helsinki, Turku or Vaasa than you do in Eastern Finland or Rovaniemi.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Here in Peru Im shocked at how unhealthily people drink, everything comes with Inca Cola or chicha morada or hot chocolate, its like people here dont know how to drink water

Old 12-31-2016, 06:47 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Royal Court of Eastern Finland has been scrutinised a lot for being very lenient on rape and domestic violence. If you beat and rape your wife, it is almost granted that you get a longer sentence in Helsinki, Turku or Vaasa than you do in Eastern Finland or Rovaniemi.
Because rednecks?

Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
I went out in Barnsley once but didn't see many fat people, most of the people seemed fairly normal, and were amazed by our accents.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Because rednecks?
Maybe for a part, but mostly it is because the courts follow same guidelines and verdicts that the same court has done before.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:36 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I went out in Barnsley once but didn't see many fat people, most of the people seemed fairly normal, and were amazed by our accents.
I hope this is Sarcasm! If it isn't, I don't even know where to start!

I don't even live in England and there are plenty of people with Southern English accents where I live. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I heard one. So why would someone from your own country be so amazed to hear your accent?

Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

I don't even live in England and there are plenty of people with Southern English accents where I live. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I heard one. So why would someone from your own country be so amazed to hear your accent?
Does the Maggie accent still exist though?

Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

Because most people would never go out in Barnsley if they lived in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather